Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > pismo

pismo
jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 06:00 PM

I have a 400 mhz pismo w/ 384 megs of ram and am running os x 10.1.4.

It just seems slow. I've had it for 2 years now.

How much faster are newer macs? Is it like a huge step in speed? I realize the MHZ numbers go up quite a bit, but is there a huge difference?

Granted, OS X could use some speed updates and I've heard stuff is slow on even the fasted machines, but I'd like to hear some comparisons.

I've been thinking about buying a new machine this summer because I do use this mac every day, and it feels slow. I'm just trying to decide if its the most responsible thing to do. I'm a college student so I feel like I do need to save money as much as possible. I have the 2K or so I'd have to spend, and I'll end up making that much this summer anyway, but I'm just not sure if it'd be worth it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2002, 06:04 PM

Maybe this will help.

jarends  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2002, 11:27 AM

bumptity bump bump

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 11:51 AM

I want to put a 1 GHz G4 in my Pismo! Heat problems be dammed! And slow bus, and slow memory, and slow HD... oh well.m It was a \veryu nice computer for itas time. Like the Apple II. I learnexcd d top write BASIC on that. I wrote a sxcrolling arcade game that redrew the screen every 1.7 seconds.

Oh yeah. BUMP BUMP BUMP
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

SSlothBear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2002, 09:16 PM

Do you have to use os X? what would you miss if you dont? is the question that you have to ask and that may help you solve this problem even before you declare the pismo as too slow for your purposes...I think OS X is only a lot of hype for majority of the users. They dont really need it for atleast another year or so. Classic OS still continues to work screamingly well for me. Ofcourse eventually you will have to switch but if you can hold out for another year then may be there will be much better hardware like perhaps a G5 where you can plonk your money. 'least thats what I'm gonna do. My 0.02$ - continue using the pismo for a year and make that big jump to a system where os x will really rock, the sub 1 ghz systems still dont really cut it for OS X.
Sloth bear facts

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2002, 09:48 PM

The new PowerBooks are something like 200% faster than the old ones at Photoshop.

This is actually a topic for the PowerBook forum, though...

jarends  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 12:34 PM

Well it isn't quite a powerbook question.

I've thought about getting a TiBook and selling the pismo. This would end up being cheaper.

I could also get a G4 tower and keep the pismo. I'd have more computing power and it'd "last" longer than my pismo.

I was playing with OS X on a dual G4 at compusa last weekend, and even then it just seemed slow. Maybe I should just wait until OS X is faster.

I love os x though. I could never go back to os 9. The dock and unix command line are things that I could never leave.

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 2, 2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by jarends:
<STRONG>Well it isn't quite a powerbook question.

</STRONG>
and it isn't quite a lounge issue either.

jholmes
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 12:39 PM

I've got a Pismo 500 and a 667 TiBook.
The difference is impressive. But I'm still running 9 on both. But when I work on the Pismo I really notice the difference. I'll bet the 800's fly.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Forum Links
Forum Rules