Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 911 Documentary on CBS

911 Documentary on CBS
G4 Cubert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 10:46 PM

Watching this thing, just bottomless f***ing rage. Bottomless.

In the name of religion too...

Grant me this: religion has been the source of *most* of the human-created evil in the world.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Mar 10, 2002, 11:22 PM

Don't worry, they will ger theirs. The world will be better after all this is over.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2002, 11:30 PM

[edited]
driven corrected my assumption that their was ad's, like I said I was just passing through for dinner.

...still should have been on PBS...

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: juanvaldes ]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

hytek
Mar 10, 2002, 11:33 PM

Is that CBS special on tonite... Damn, I knew I should have bought a antenna while I was at Wal-Mart.

macthelastredman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2002, 11:43 PM

de-press-ing
iMac G4 800mhz 768 ram OS X (10.1.5) & iPod 5gb

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>****ing CBS...they are selling people's death and misery for a quick buck....

A doc on this is to be expected and my folks said that it was from a French camera crew that was their already (passed through for dinner) but on CBS is just wrong.

if it was on PBS I would not have a problem with it...but I hate large corps making a killing off such a tragedy. </STRONG>

FWIW: Except for the NexTEL tagline / sponsorship, they had NO commercials in this thing.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:48 AM

It was very well done.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 12:57 AM

I watched the whole thing this evening, and it was very sad. Very few things in the world strike an emotional cord with me, but 9/11 does. Yeah, I think it was gay that the thing was "sponsored by Nextel" and I do think that they did this way too early, but I did think it was well done and brought back that sadness and rage that I think most americans have started to forget about.

I just think CBS shoulda bitten the bullet and taken a profit loss on this thing rather than having Nextel pay for sponsorship. If they truly believe they are doing this for the brave firefighters and to show the american will, this wouldn't have been a problem. Just my thought.

My Usama Death Watch is back on.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by G4 Cubert:
<STRONG>Grant me this: religion has been the source of *most* of the human-created evil in the world.</STRONG>
I won't grant you that. For those who would pervert it for their own aims, it provides the "justification." But it's not the source, in and of itself. Like the power to do good, that comes from within.

Anyway, the documentary. Yes, it was very well done. I can't imagine spending all that time in that lobby -- being in that lobby when the first tower collapsed -- and surviving.

One thing I've wondered about was when they first realized the towers were in danger of coming down. Based on this, it appears that it didn't occur to anyone until the one tower actually came down. Apparently that was when they gave the order to get everyone out of the other tower.

The footage of Father Judge (the chaplain who died) was haunting. That and the sound of people crashing into the ceiling of the mezzanine.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:
<STRONG>Yeah, I think it was gay that the thing was "sponsored by Nextel"</STRONG>
I think it is "gay" that you would use that word in any way to discribe 9/11.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
<STRONG>

I think it is "gay" that you would use that word in any way to discribe 9/11.</STRONG>
might have just been me and my roommate, but I swore that firefighter said "they now said the pentagon is on f***ing fire" without editing it out.

anyone else catch this or am I wrong?

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: agasthya ]

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: agasthya ]

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>might have just been me and my roommate, but I swore that firefighter said "they now said the pentagon is on ****ing fire" without editing it out.

anyone else catch this or am I wrong?</STRONG>
Yes. They purposely didn't bleep anything out. There were several f-words other profanities throughout.

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:
<STRONG>

might have just been me and my roommate, but I swore that firefighter said "they now said the pentagon is on f***ing fire" without editing it out.

anyone else catch this or am I wrong?

</STRONG>
yes that is what they said. Could handle the potty talk falling on your virgin ears?

SickofSomebody68
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 03:04 AM

wait, this isn't about porsches?

Pfft.

Who cares. TV sucks. I quit watching it a few years ago.

- Ca$h

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 11, 2002, 03:24 AM

timing was perfect, people were just starting to get comfortable again... watch bush apprival rating rise again... watch for more demands from the public for more backlashes... this is only going to increase the amercian rage. which in this case is a good thing

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
<STRONG> which in this case is a good thing</STRONG>
why?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>

I won't grant you that. For those who would pervert it for their own aims, it provides the "justification." But it's not the source, in and of itself. Like the power to do good, that comes from within.

Anyway, the documentary. Yes, it was very well done. I can't imagine spending all that time in that lobby -- being in that lobby when the first tower collapsed -- and surviving.

One thing I've wondered about was when they first realized the towers were in danger of coming down. Based on this, it appears that it didn't occur to anyone until the one tower actually came down. Apparently that was when they gave the order to get everyone out of the other tower.

The footage of Father Judge (the chaplain who died) was haunting. That and the sound of people crashing into the ceiling of the mezzanine. </STRONG>
That sound of the people falling has been haunting me all night. (And will probably still continue to haunt me for days.)

I don't think the folks in the first tower even realized that the second tower fell until later. The guy said at one point that once they got outside they just assumed that the missing tower was hidden behind the remaining one. It didn't dawn on them until they saw the wreckage. (I might have missed something though ... my mind was numb during that broadcast.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2002, 04:22 AM

That was a beautifull program. Hats off to the filmmakers. *applause*

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>

I don't think the folks in the first tower even realized that the second tower fell until later. The guy said at one point that once they got outside they just assumed that the missing tower was hidden behind the remaining one. It didn't dawn on them until they saw the wreckage. (I might have missed something though ... my mind was numb during that broadcast.)</STRONG>
No, that's right. What stuck with me was how quickly day turned into night when the towers came down. At first I thought they were fading to black to prepare for a commerical break...then I realized we were still watching the footage inside the first tower.

Also, being an engineer, I couldn't help but dwell on what one firefighter said. Two 110-story office buildings, and no chairs, desks, or computers to be found. Just pieces of equipment no bigger than a fist (I'm paraphrasing, by the way).

Whew. While a lot of TV is bad, when TV is good, it can be really good.

pathogen
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Pikeman:
<STRONG>That was a beautifull program. Hats off to the filmmakers. *applause*</STRONG>
No kidding, this was as much the story of those two French brothers who happened to be making the documentary on a probationary firrefighter as it was about the disaster.

Their humanity made it gripping, wondering if eachother had survived the morning.

Watching this documentary made me more wary about needing "revenge" for the terrible acts, but rather iinstead made me moved to do more good wherever I can.

I swear, seeing people die all around you is enough to drive anybody to desperate measures to make a change. But that is no excuse for powerless individuals like those Al Quada sh*ts who took out their aggression against a whole nation. Just think if they had trained themselves to make a change in their world through benevolant, good ways, instead of through terror.... Maybe they lost a family to war in the middle-east, or maybe they are just fundementalists, but they chose the wrong path.

I loved this documentary because it highlights people who chose a good path, to helping others as selflessly as possible: Firefighters.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by JC Denton:
<STRONG>Also, being an engineer, I couldn't help but dwell on what one firefighter said. Two 110-story office buildings, and no chairs, desks, or computers to be found. Just pieces of equipment no bigger than a fist (I'm paraphrasing, by the way).</STRONG>
Yeah, that was the guy who said the biggest piece of office equipment he could recognize in the wreckage was half of a keypad from a telephone.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>

Yeah, that was the guy who said the biggest piece of office equipment he could recognize in the wreckage was half of a keypad from a telephone.</STRONG>
anywhere to watch this online?

i missed it :

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 08:54 AM

That and the sound of people crashing into the ceiling of the mezzanine.
Agreed. That and the fire chiefs' focus in organizing tactics and rescues as the second tower is struck and the people crashing--loud, echoey.

The access the filmmakers had was amazing.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2002, 09:02 AM

Oh, and I thought this was about RESCUE 911 (with William Shatner) - but no.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>

why?</STRONG>
Simple answer: The American people forget...quickly. To remind everyone why we have our men and women fighting terrorism in Afghanistan, Philippines, Yemen, and around the world, I would much rather have this documentary than another terrorist attack.

I know you're a defender of pacifism, but I come from a family where my father, uncle, both grandfathers and lots of other family members are/were in the US military. I agree that rage is not an appropriate response, but justice is. My wife works at the local air force base/air logistic center and you don't fear until you watch America come under attack and not be able to even talk to the one you love to find out if they are ok.

She has two cousins that worked two blocks from the WTC complex...we didn't know if they were alive for two days. Fortunately, they were unharmed...nearly three thousand families cannot say the same. Perhaps you should reread the saga and emotions that the MacNN community experienced.

The documentary last night was gut-wrenching. The insider's view of the life of a rookie firefighter and the anguish that he felt when ordered to stay at the fire house was wonderful. I could also feel the brothers' love during their reunion after the towers' collapse. The final comment was the most appropriate: "This documentary was not about terrorism; it was about humanity."

&lt;flame shields up, go to red alert&gt;
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Bockie:
<STRONG>

Simple answer: The American people forget...quickly. To remind everyone why we have our men and women fighting terrorism in Afghanistan, Philippines, Yemen, and around the world, I would much rather have this documentary than another terrorist attack.

I know you're a defender of pacifism, but I come from a family where my father, uncle, both grandfathers and lots of other family members are/were in the US military. I agree that rage is not an appropriate response, but justice is. My wife works at the local air force base/air logistic center and you don't fear until you watch America come under attack and not be able to even talk to the one you love to find out if they are ok.

She has two cousins that worked two blocks from the WTC complex...we didn't know if they were alive for two days. Fortunately, they were unharmed...nearly three thousand families cannot say the same. Perhaps you should reread the saga and emotions that the MacNN community experienced.

The documentary last night was gut-wrenching. The insider's view of the life of a rookie firefighter and the anguish that he felt when ordered to stay at the fire house was wonderful. I could also feel the brothers' love during their reunion after the towers' collapse. The final comment was the most appropriate: "This documentary was not about terrorism; it was about humanity."

&lt;flame shields up, go to red alert&gt;</STRONG>
Well said. I agree.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

malson
Senior User
Mar 11, 2002, 11:23 AM

Bockie,
Thanks for the link back to those discussions from Sept. 11. I sat here and read through most of those 8 pages and had those same horrible feelings come back. I wasn't able to watch the documentary last night because I had to work. But, I did tape it.

Those days were horrible. I work at a regional blood bank. We were so busy for the next 2 weeks. Our typical daily draw is around 300 units. That Tuesday, we got 600 something, Wed. ~850, and Thursday topped 1100. It was crazy. Now, the blood supply is back down to nothing. Most blood types we have less than a 3 day supply. Our telerecruiters are getting more and more rejections. People just don't understand that just because we don't have a tragedy doesn't mean we don't need blood. I'm all for people showing patriotism by giving blood or making monetary donations. Just keep it up. Our nation is still in need.

As a side note, not one single unit of blood collected as a result of the Sept.11 attacks was shipped to New York or Washington, D.C. They just didn't need it.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:09 PM

Malson,

Thank you for your post and your reminder. I will be donating blood this week.

Anyone here want to join me?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Bockie
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by driven:
<STRONG>Malson,

Thank you for your post and your reminder. I will be donating blood this week.

Anyone here want to join me?</STRONG>
Already did. I gave on the 20th of last month.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>...still should have been on PBS... </STRONG>
I don't see why. My PBS station is now showing, among other things, "wrinkle cure" shows as part of its fund-raising drives. That's when it isn't showing other "anti-aging" crap, and new-age psycho-babble crap, and really really bad singers who you've never heard of crap, and even during their better productions they're showing more and more commercials (their commercials are more restrained than those on commercial TV, but they are commercials nonetheless).

I'm not condemning PBS - they have the right to promote "wrinkle cures", and I have the right to not send them any more of my money. But I no longer regard PBS as any more virtuous than the commercial networks. If CBS is willing to broadcast the 9/11 special with a mere mention of Nextel as sponsor, I say good for them.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
<STRONG>

I don't see why. My PBS station is now showing, among other things, "wrinkle cure" shows as part of its fund-raising drives. That's when it isn't showing other "anti-aging" crap, and new-age psycho-babble crap, and really really bad singers who you've never heard of crap, and even during their better productions they're showing more and more commercials (their commercials are more restrained than those on commercial TV, but they are commercials nonetheless).

I'm not condemning PBS - they have the right to promote "wrinkle cures", and I have the right to not send them any more of my money. But I no longer regard PBS as any more virtuous than the commercial networks. If CBS is willing to broadcast the 9/11 special with a mere mention of Nextel as sponsor, I say good for them.</STRONG>

Considering the amount of money that they didn't make by not showing something with "real" commercials during that prime-time slot I must say I'm impressed with CBS. As for Nextel, well ... someone had to pay for Robert DeNiro.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 01:50 PM

Last week, as this day approached, I went back and read the forums from last September. It reminds me how much the feeling of anger on the part of the victims can motivate a response to an incident of mass-murder like this. I have been doubting the U.S. government's integrity in the way they're fighting this war...but watching the reminders on the various news channels today has put that fear and anger back in my chest.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: UNTiMac ]
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

deedar
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 02:10 PM

Like chris_h, I missed it too. Anyone know when and if it will be shown again or if it is online somewhere?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 02:43 PM

Watched it. Amazing that no one from that particular fire house was killed. They were the first on the scene, and some of them stayed inside the first tower hit until it started to collapse, not knowing the other one was gone. I read somewhere that not only were none of those firefighters killed, but no one who ever served at that station was killed. Amazing!
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
<STRONG>

I think it is "gay" that you would use that word in any way to discribe 9/11.</STRONG>
I wasn't describing 9/11. I was describing CBS making money off of it by having the event sponsored being gay. However, if you don't like that word, here are a few more:

* stupid
* retarded
* awful
* downright scandelous
* homo
* evil
* queer
* lame
* moronic

I think you get my point.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:
<STRONG>

I wasn't describing 9/11. I was describing CBS making money off of it by having the event sponsored being gay. However, if you don't like that word, here are a few more:

* stupid
* retarded
* awful
* downright scandelous
* homo
* evil
* queer
* lame
* moronic

I think you get my point.</STRONG>
Still this whole use of the word GAY is completely out of context. It seems to be the cool, new thing these days to call something gay.

"Hey dude, that movie was gay!"
"That music is so gay"
"homosexuals are so gay" - I saw that on a T-Shirt..I thought it was rather clever.

I think you get my point.

Now, to the 9/11 special, filmed, edited and aired in great taste and respect for the people that died. CBS has gained more respect from me. Ad for fox, well, if it wasn't for The Simpsons and 24, I'd block that station from my TV.
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by G4 Cubert:
<STRONG>Grant me this: religion has been the source of *most* of the human-created evil in the world.</STRONG>
If you study history you would see that 99.9% of war was the result of biggots who can't accept another way of life, or another belief.

Forum Links
Forum Rules