Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > price increase? F#ck that

price increase? F#ck that
Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2002, 09:51 PM

Apparently the prices of LCD screens have gone up 25% and the price of RAM has gone up 200%. He is saying that they are raising the price of the imac!!!

Looks like a price raise $100, $150, $200 on the three models.

dawho9
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 09:53 PM

I just say that over at MacWorld as well...so much for my iMac purchase. $1799.00 to $1999.00 for top end...

way too expensive.
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2002, 09:59 PM

Good for apple, Catch up with supply/demand. Just like a Nintendo selling for 800.00 at christmas.

Be happy if you bought early.

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Mar 20, 2002, 10:00 PM

Oh man, this ain't good PR.

dawho9
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 10:01 PM

I need to go sell my Apple stock! Its going in the tank come tomorrow. I don't need to have my finicial advisor tell me this one...

dw9

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:03 PM

what???? they can't be raising prices of the imac. no, this isn't good at all. how do they expect to appeal to the "other 95%" if they keep charging exhorbitant prices for their products? not to mention their embarrasing inability to meet supply demands. and the fact that their top of the line laptop only has a 16MB graphics card when you can find a PC laptop counterpart with a 64MB card. I love Apple but my god they keep shooting themselves in the foot everytime and it's really pissing me off.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Mar 20, 2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by dawho9:
<STRONG>I need to go sell my Apple stock! Its going in the tank come tomorrow. I don't need to have my finicial advisor tell me this one...

dw9</STRONG>
I was waiting for some crap like that. I think people had the same reaction when the iPod came out, they called it the next cube and said "I am selling my stock".

loser

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by C33:
<STRONG>what???? they can't be raising prices of the imac. no, this isn't good at all. how do they expect to appeal to the "other 95%" if they keep charging exhorbitant prices for their products? not to mention their embarrasing inability to meet supply demands. I love Apple but my god they keep shooting themselves in the foot everytime and it's really pissing me off.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]</STRONG>
They've got the demand right now. They can chase the other 95% faster if they capitalize while their demand is high.

Risky. But Agressive.

dawho9
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 10:11 PM

If you don't think AAPL stock will take a hit tomorrow, you have to be kidding yourself.

I have about 2000 shares of AAPL stock and it will take a hit. I will sell in the morning before it happens (already have it in) and will most likely purchase back all 2000 by the night for a couple bucks less, make a profit and still have my shares.

Its a bad move on Apple's part. They cannot keep up with demand for their "home" products. They are raising its price and Dell just released a P4 2 GHZ for under $650.00. The people on wall street will not like this.

dw9

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:19 PM

<STRONG>If you don't think AAPL stock will take a hit tomorrow, you have to be kidding yourself.

I have about 2000 shares of AAPL stock and it will take a hit. I will sell in the morning before it happens (already have it in) and will most likely purchase back all 2000 by the night for a couple bucks less, make a profit and still have my shares.

Its a bad move on Apple's part. They cannot keep up with demand for their "home" products. They are raising its price and Dell just released a P4 2 GHZ for under $650.00. The people on wall street will not like this.

dw9</STRONG>
you said it. what pisses me off is that Apple should realize this too. they need a sub 1,000$ machine to appeal to the PC fencesitters and they just refuse to do that.

hytek
Mar 20, 2002, 10:25 PM

I just checked the Apple store. The top end iMac is at $1899, but wasn't it at $1799 originally?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 10:29 PM

<STRONG>The people on wall street will not like this.</STRONG>
Actually, I think they will like the price increases. They like tough, aggressive economic measures like this, even if consumers don't like it. One of Wall Street's favorite qualities of Apple is its high profit margin.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by hytek:
<STRONG>I just checked the Apple store. The top end iMac is at $1899, but wasn't it at $1799 originally?</STRONG>
Yeah, even $100 increase on all models not the $100,150,200 that has been spreading around.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2002, 10:31 PM

<STRONG>

you said it. what pisses me off is that Apple should realize this too. they need a sub 1,000$ machine to appeal to the PC fencesitters and they just refuse to do that.</STRONG>
Horse pucky. Apple still sells the gumdrop imac for $799. Granted, it could probably use a feature bump and/or price drop if Apple wants to keep it competitive, but the point is that Apple does have a sub grand machine.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
<STRONG>

Horse pucky. Apple still sells the gumdrop imac for $799. Granted, it could probably use a feature bump and/or price drop if Apple wants to keep it competitive, but the point is that Apple does have a sub grand machine.

BlackGriffen</STRONG>
sure they do but that's not the machine the PC fencesitters are sitting on the fence over. And I just checked the Apple store, they're still offering the 22" Cinema Display at $2499 but the 23" display is at $3499. Could someone please tell me how an extra inch is worth an extra grand? Am I missing something here?

dawho9
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>Actually, I think they will like the price increases. They like tough, aggressive economic measures like this, even if consumers don't like it. One of Wall Street's favorite qualities of Apple is its high profit margin.</STRONG>
Let me rephrase a little...a lot of people are going to sell in the morning. The price will drop. It may rebound within days, but that is fine, as I will have already purchased the stock back.

dw9

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 10:46 PM

<STRONG>And I just checked the Apple store, they're still offering the 22" Cinema Display at $2499 but the 23" display is at $3499. Could someone please tell me how an extra inch is worth an extra grand? Am I missing something here?</STRONG>
The bump is resolution is significant: from 1600X1024 to 1920X1200.

I think this display is part of Apple's new interest in pro (i.e., Hollywood) digital production - it's big enough to create high definition TV content.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:48 PM

Heh...better hope Steve's as much a badass as everyone makes him out to be. Very risky moves IMHO...

turboSPE

<STRONG>

sure they do but that's not the machine the PC fencesitters are sitting on the fence over. And I just checked the Apple store, they're still offering the 22" Cinema Display at $2499 but the 23" display is at $3499. Could someone please tell me how an extra inch is worth an extra grand? Am I missing something here?

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]</STRONG>

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:51 PM

<STRONG>The bump is resolution is significant: from 1600X1024 to 1920X1200.

I think this display is part of Apple's new interest in pro (i.e., Hollywood) digital production - it's big enough to create high definition TV content.</STRONG>
ok, well that makes some sense. i was beginning to think our Stevie boy was losing all touch with reality and stuck somewhere in the Outer Limits. but still, and extra grand? whew!

hytek
Mar 20, 2002, 10:52 PM

I think the title of this thread says it all. I can build two AthlonXP 1800+ systems w/ 17in. monitors for the price of one new iMac and possibly four for the price of one dual 1Ghz PowerMac. :/ A price increase is not good.

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by hytek:
<STRONG>I think the title of this thread says it all. I can build two AthlonXP 1800+ systems w/ 17in. monitors for the price of one new iMac and possibly four for the price of one dual 1Ghz PowerMac. :/ A price increase is not good.</STRONG>
unfortunately that's exactly the way the "other 95%" see it. and all the Apple Stores in the world ain't gonna convert them until Apple finally get it into their thick skulls too.

nana2
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 11:08 PM

<STRONG>The bump is resolution is significant: from 1600X1024 to 1920X1200.

I think this display is part of Apple's new interest in pro (i.e., Hollywood) digital production - it's big enough to create high definition TV content.</STRONG>
Sure they have the video part worked out, but what about the digital 5.1 audio?

hytek
Mar 20, 2002, 11:12 PM

Why doesn't Apple port OS X to x86? All that's missing is the GUI as there is already a x86 port of Darwin. Atleast this way Apple would have a chance at gaining some marketshare, because charging sky high prices for their (outdated by PC standards) hardware doesn't seem to be getting them anywhere.

Take a tip from SEGA and bow out of the hardware industry and focus on making really good software.

Edit: I would like to add that good software is where it's at anyways. Who cares what hardware is under the hood as long as the software is good, right. I mean, evidently, this seems to have been Apple's motto all along anyhow with the MHz myth thing.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: hytek ]

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2002, 11:43 PM

Calm down, everyone. You all want Apple to sell modern hardware for a competitive price, etc. Uncle Steve says you're all thinking like PC dweebs. Modern hardware at competitive prices - blah! Uncle Steve says "Think Different".

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2002, 11:47 PM

"Earn Different!"
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
<STRONG>"Earn Different!"</STRONG>
Pay More

Sealobo
Mar 21, 2002, 12:13 AM

I think the price of AAPL will climb tomorrow.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 12:16 AM

Oh my FREAKING HELL!

I just ordered my iMac from Outpost before they could jack up the price. Thank Jeebus that I decided to check the Headlines tonight.

I was planning on buying on it on Friday because it's always a bad idea to buy anything before a MacWorld. (Or so I thought!!)

I don't know how they expect to gain marketshare when they pull shit like this. First you can't get them, now you have to pay $100 more to not get one!

Bastards!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by sealobo:
<STRONG>I think the price of AAPL will climb tomorrow.</STRONG>
I am with you on that, I won't buy any more but there is good news, the volume of shipping and shiped means this will be a good quarter for Apple

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 12:24 AM

exhorbitant isn't a word....

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 12:52 AM

whats with the behemoth signutares? aren't there rules about that?

yukon
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 01:07 AM

who cares about rules . that seal guy (can't see name) sure doesn't care with his sig
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

clRagnarok
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2002, 01:15 AM

are you talking about my sig? it's only 350 pixels...
c l R a g n a r o k

RGB
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 02:05 AM

They've gotta do what they've gotta do...taking a loss on every iMac sold isn't exactly a Good Thing�

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2002, 02:34 AM

Where'd you find out this information? I've heard information elsewhere on the even-more-overpriced iPod revision, but nothing on an iMac price jump.

If Apple does this, it's suicide (perhaps not as fatal as the real thing, but just as positive of a life choice). But I don't think Jobs is that stupid. He's an insane fool in a lot of ways, but I would hope he knows better than this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

FERRO
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 02:36 AM

"steve has lost his marbles...."

Apple was "I thought" a company that was in touch with the people, but all I have seen lately is steve kissing corporate butt and alot of (unquestionable) totalitarian rule over what the future of apple is...

I am filled with doubt, not only as to the financial future of Apple but also for the competency of its leader...

Now I will say that this isnt thaT big of a deal right now, but apple'(steves) decisions (concerning eveything from marketing to new products) is leaving me in a state of confusion... ???

And I know I am not alone...

------------------------------------

� FERRO 2001-2002

� FERRO 2001-2002

nana2
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>Where'd you find out this information? I've heard information elsewhere on the even-more-overpriced iPod revision, but nothing on an iMac price jump.

If Apple does this, it's suicide (perhaps not as fatal as the real thing, but just as positive of a life choice). But I don't think Jobs is that stupid. He's an insane fool in a lot of ways, but I would hope he knows better than this.</STRONG>
The price is up on the Apple Store site. In Australia the price rise takes effect from the 2nd April.

Cipher13
Mar 21, 2002, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
<STRONG>They've gotta do what they've gotta do...taking a loss on every iMac sold isn't exactly a Good Thing�</STRONG>
...you think they suffer a loss on every iMac sale?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2002, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

...you think they suffer a loss on every iMac sale? </STRONG>
Indeed, Apple's profit margins are hands-down the highest in the industry, and it's been that way for many years. No way they're taking a loss on the iMacs. It's generally thought that the iMac's profit margins are about a fifth less than on the other items, but that's still far more than the margins on almost any PC out there, even the highest-end machines.

That's something that's bothered me about Apple, actually. They can afford to cut prices, at least a little bit. They need to price their stuff competitively if they ever plan to grow their marketshare (as they claim they do).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 03:49 AM

I seriously bet apple's making 1/3 profit margin now.

Let's look this over:

LCD: $250 (raw)
RAM: $40
Superdrive: $250
60GB hard drive: $120
800mhz motorolla CPU: $300
Geforce 2 MX/DDR/DVI: $70
Plastic casing: $50
Metal casing: $100
Power supply, mouse, kbd, etc, os: $200

That's a total of $1160 (hope that's right)

Apple sells that for $1900 (roughly), minus about $5 to market, another $20 elsewhere, etc: $700 or so profit margin

Think about all that margin, why isn't it going towards lowering the price? Steve Jobs is well, I can't say, but he wants to squeeze as much juice out of consumers as he can.

The crap is sickening me so much I know my next purchase will be in parts
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 04:28 AM

I support the price increase, shut up all you babies, it's not Apples fault, it is the fault of the suppliers of the components. Haven't you noticed that RAM for one is like 3 times more than it was 6 months ago. Blame the bad economy not Apple, if the prices came down on stuff they would lower it the same way they raise it when prices go up.

VRL
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by tullamore:
<STRONG>I support the price increase, shut up all you babies, it's not Apples fault, it is the fault of the suppliers of the components. Haven't you noticed that RAM for one is like 3 times more than it was 6 months ago. Blame the bad economy not Apple, if the prices came down on stuff they would lower it the same way they raise it when prices go up.</STRONG>
You tell 'em!

And I'd bet some of you spend that much on beer/partying in one month. Or fast food/junk food.
It's not that much money ...
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>

Indeed, Apple's profit margins are hands-down the highest in the industry, and it's been that way for many years. No way they're taking a loss on the iMacs. It's generally thought that the iMac's profit margins are about a fifth less than on the other items, but that's still far more than the margins on almost any PC out there, even the highest-end machines.

That's something that's bothered me about Apple, actually. They can afford to cut prices, at least a little bit. They need to price their stuff competitively if they ever plan to grow their marketshare (as they claim they do).</STRONG>
I honestly believe that there is no single person on this board that has a clue what profit margin actually means. Dell has a 15% profit margin, Gateway has a 20% profit margin. Does that mean Gateway is hauling in more bucketloads of money than Dell? hell no.

raskol
Banned
Mar 21, 2002, 05:06 AM

God I'm sick of all you whiners!!! Go buy a freaking Dell then!! SHUT-F'ING-UP!! Why do you own a Mac now? If you can't justify the money then switch! As far as the other 95% of the market - who needs it? Seriously if price is the only consideration people base their purchases on then Apple is doomed. I for one am along for the ride. And yes I am a share-holder and GROW SOME BALLS pansies!

v0id7
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 08:32 AM

Just how can apple charge $800 for a a 500mhz imac with 128mb ram [and a 15 in. monitor of course] when dell sells the dimension 8200 for $869 and it s 1.8ghz with 128mb ram and it includes a 17 in. monitor?

they cant compete until they get prices within reason. Yes this makes me mad, but im not about to buy a dell. i will continue to be apple's tool and i will be forced to pay more than the competition.
_______void_______

hytek
Mar 21, 2002, 10:22 AM

I support the price increase, shut up all you babies, it's not Apples fault, it is the fault of the suppliers of the components. Haven't you noticed that RAM for one is like 3 times more than it was 6 months ago. Blame the bad economy not Apple, if the prices came down on stuff they would lower it the same way they raise it when prices go up.
Then why are the other brand of computers cheaper? Everything in a PowerMac is the same as a PC except the CPU and motherboard. All you're paying extra for is the Apple name and the ability to use the Aqua GUI.

RGB
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

...you think they suffer a loss on every iMac sale? </STRONG>
No I don't think they take a loss on every iMac sale, but if component prices are up as much as Apple says they are (I don't know about LCD prices, but the RAM prices are pretty apparent) then they won't be making as much of a profit as they need to be...if a product isn't making enough on each sale, then it isn't worth it for a company to sell it.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Langdon:
<STRONG>Apparently the prices of LCD screens have gone up 25% </STRONG>
well if the price of LCD's have gone up does this mean that the PowerBooks, iBooks, and 15, 17, 22" display prices are going to go up too?

something is fishy here...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2002, 01:19 PM

<STRONG>what???? they can't be raising prices of the imac. no, this isn't good at all. how do they expect to appeal to the "other 95%" if they keep charging exhorbitant prices for their products? not to mention their embarrasing inability to meet supply demands. and the fact that their top of the line laptop only has a 16MB graphics card when you can find a PC laptop counterpart with a 64MB card. I love Apple but my god they keep shooting themselves in the foot everytime and it's really pissing me off.</STRONG>
When demand outpaces supply you raise your prices. This causes demand to drop. The price should be such that supply and demand are equal, that way you aren't wasting money buying too much stock, and you are making as much money as possible on the stock you do have. This is the way businesses work, and Apple is doing the right thing. If they have low supply they need price to be high enough that they also have low demand.

Lerkfish
Mar 21, 2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>I seriously bet apple's making 1/3 profit margin now.

Let's look this over:

LCD: $250 (raw)
RAM: $40
Superdrive: $250
60GB hard drive: $120
800mhz motorolla CPU: $300
Geforce 2 MX/DDR/DVI: $70
Plastic casing: $50
Metal casing: $100
Power supply, mouse, kbd, etc, os: $200

That's a total of $1160 (hope that's right)

Apple sells that for $1900 (roughly), minus about $5 to market, another $20 elsewhere, etc: $700 or so profit margin

Think about all that margin, why isn't it going towards lowering the price? Steve Jobs is well, I can't say, but he wants to squeeze as much juice out of consumers as he can.

The crap is sickening me so much I know my next purchase will be in parts</STRONG>
what I don't see in your list are things like overhead, employee salaries, insurance, etc, etc. If you only exchanged hardware components and your employees worked for free, and you didn't have to have a building, and there weren't any corporate taxes, or there wasn't any research and development, and if there weren't any warehouses to store components, and if you didn't have advertising and marketing, and if you didn't have to spend money at conventions, and if you didn't have to hire lawyers, accountants and interior decoraters, if you didn't have to purchase patents or produce prototypes, and if you didn't have to pay stockholder dividends, and if you didn't have to enter into contracts with various vendors and distributors...well, then yeah, I guess you could charge people exact what the hardware components cost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules