Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Forget the awards, help me for a second.

Forget the awards, help me for a second.
kaceygones
Senior User
Mar 24, 2002, 11:51 PM

Okay, I know I'm probably supposed to post this in a different forum but I only need a few seconds of attention.

I just got my daughter her own iMac and I need to know how I can hook it up to my DSL modem. Is it possible and can we both surf at the same time?

What do I need to do/get?
Thanks,
kacey

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2002, 11:54 PM

a lynksys router is nice with a built in 4 port switch, not that exp to buy one and configuration is a breaze!!
Here
you can look other places for one but this is where i found it the cheapest.

oh yeah and you are going to need cat 5 networking cable to run between the router and the computers... ask if you need to know more...

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: Capt Shane ]
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2002, 11:59 PM

I hope so. I was searching through old threads asking the same question and everything is so over my head. I've been an Apple/Mac user for over 20 years and I even know how to program my own VCR, but "PPPoE, Static IP, DHCP and TCP/IP" has really got me confused.

kacey

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2002, 12:06 AM

no problem, but you need to plan out how you are going to do this other wise you may have cable all over the place... ever thought about the airport base station? There are other options than just the one i gave, that is just what i use at home, at school i use a airport base station to connect 3 macs wirelessly in my dorm cause the cables get in the way and i have a small room.....
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Mar 25, 2002, 12:11 AM

She's only 13 and I'm a single mom. I think we'll live with a few extra cables. You should see all the wires behind my computer now. I have so many gadgets hooked up to mine, I can't really call it an "all-in-one" anymore.

Hooking it up won't be that difficult. Configuring it will be.
I can't even configure Outlook Express correctly.
kacey

I really need to unpack all my computer manuals.

hayesk
Mar 26, 2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by kaceygones:
<STRONG>Hooking it up won't be that difficult. Configuring it will be.
</STRONG>
No, it won't. And we'll help. You won't need a manual. Here's all you will need to do:

1. Connect the Linksys router to your DSL modem, and to your computers.
2. Configure your TCP/IP control panels on your Macs to use Ethernet, Using DHCP.
3. Open a web browser, connect to http://192.168.1.1 (the password is admin)
4. Set the Login to PPOE, and type in your DSL username/password and click Apply.

That should be it. You may wish to copy your current settings in case something goes wrong.

Good luck.

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Mar 26, 2002, 10:18 PM

Thanks!

I hope it's as easy as you make it sound.
kacey

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 26, 2002, 10:34 PM

it's easier than everyone says, and that's saying something, because they all say it's easy.

You connect one port, named WAN, to the DSL modem.

You connect two other ports to the two computers.

In a browser, you go to http://192.168.1.1
and when it asks for a user name and password,
you leave the username blank and type admin for the password.

Then, on the first page it opens, you enter in the user and password to connect to the DSL service. This makes the router do your connecting, so you don't need to have anything specified in the computers.

save the configuration on the webpage.

then, change your remote access settings in the computers to nothing, and the tcp/ip control panel to DHCP.
enter your DSN addresses into the window there, if your ISP has given you any to use. (some don't give them to you.)

And it's done.

I know, I know, it sounds complex. but it fit in this tiny space, and only takes about 5 minutes to do.

private message me if you get stuck, you can email or call me and I'll talk you through it.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2002, 11:15 PM

hmm.

I bought this:
http://netgear.com/product_view.asp?xrp=2&yrp=4&zrp=13

From staples and I just plugged it in pluged my Cable modem and my iMac and my Brothers PC into it and the mac just worked (the PC needed an IP addy plugged in somewhere, damn PCs)

It dont have a firewall. but thats fine for me.

It was like 30 bucks from staples. And I still have room for one more comp

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2002, 11:16 PM

By the way, its quite sturdy and wall mountable . hehe

-Owl
[/LIST]

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 12:43 AM

Okay, but will it also work with a DSL modem (are they any different from cable modems) and will it effect the speed?

I don't need anything fancy--just a way to connect both of our computers, but I don't want to lose anything (proformance-wise) by hooking up an additional computer.

Thanks,
kacey

vasu
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 07:25 AM

You want see a performace degradation really...maybe if both of you are downloading something from a really fast connection (like apple) at the same time.

There's only one possibly hiccup that could make this tricky. A lot of DSL modems are USB based (which is a data connector) and not Ethernet based (which is a networking/communications connector).

As far as I know, there are no routers that have a USB port on them? I could be wrong, but if you have a newer DSL modem that has USB on it, then that might be issue.

Basically, does the DSL modem connect to your computer with a cable that looks like it has a squareish fat telephone end to it, or a thin rectanular end?

-vasu

kaceygones  (op)
Senior User
Mar 28, 2002, 11:37 PM

My DSL modem is connected to my iMac through the ethernet port.
It's a good thing, too. I have 6 USB ports and they're all occupied.

I told you I had a lot of gadgets.
kacey

Forum Links
Forum Rules