Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If they called it 10.5 and not 10.2...

If they called it 10.5 and not 10.2...
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2002, 04:23 PM

I think people wouldn't be bitching so much about the price!!! This is a MAJOR update! I don't want to pay the $129 (actually I get the education discount), but what are you going go do...

The old apple would have called it OS 11!!!

The .mac thing is a different situation...

<small>[ 07-18-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: mitchell_pgh ]</small>

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jul 18, 2002, 04:28 PM

I'm not paying for a 2 tenths of a decimal point release. We can negotiate when they release 10.5 or 11

Mike

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2002, 04:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by MikeM32:
<strong>I'm not paying for a 2 tenths of a decimal point release. We can negotiate when they release 10.5 or 11

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Do you understand what Mitchell just said? What if this next release was called 10.5 and not 10.2 but everything else about it was the same? Would you still complain about the price? Look at how much stuff is being updated for this release. Look at how far X has come since 10.0. Much farther than 8.0 to 8.6. Or 9.0 to 9.2.

You might say that 10.0 wasnt ready for prime time, and that 10.1 should have been 10.0, and that 10.2 should actually be a 10.1 free-release, but I don't buy it. This is a major upgrade. It might as well be a .5 release.

It's just a goddamn number...

<small>[ 07-18-2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: The_Equivocator ]</small>

Crunch Something

ringo
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2002, 04:51 PM

I will pay. I just hope this isn't an annual event.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2002, 04:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by MikeM32:
<strong>I'm not paying for a 2 tenths of a decimal point release. We can negotiate when they release 10.5 or 11

Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">*knocks MikeM32 on the head 3 times* hello McFly?!

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jul 18, 2002, 04:55 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm not paying for a 2 tenths of a decimal point release. We can negotiate when they release 10.5 or 11</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm amazed someone actually typed that.

Version numbers don't stand for actual milestones anymore, it's all marketing. Apple wants to capitalize on the 'X' brand familiarity, so they went for 10.2 instead of 10.5. That way they can keep pushing 'X' for at least a few more years.

Look at Photoshop 7 compared to 6. What is new? Nothing significant, beyond OS X compatibility, which isn't really a feature. Similarly, Netscape skipped version 5 to give the impression they were keeping up with IE... Freehand did the same thing several years ago...

100% marketing.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2002, 05:51 AM

They wanna keep the os X thing running FOREVER!!!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2002, 06:40 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
<strong>This is a major upgrade.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Actually it's a major downgrade for me. In a few weeks I won't be able to click my iDisk button.

<small>[ 07-19-2002, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Face Ache ]</small>

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2002, 10:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Face Ache:
<strong>Actually it's a major downgrade for me. In a few weeks I won't be able to click my iDisk button.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, I'm disappointed about that, too. But, that doesn't really have anything to do with 10.2. If only it was $35-50 a year for less webspace, less E-Mail space, and no virus software.

Crunch Something

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2002, 10:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<strong>I think people wouldn't be bitching so much about the price!!! This is a MAJOR update! I don't want to pay the $129 (actually I get the education discount), but what are you going go do...

The old apple would have called it OS 11!!!

The .mac thing is a different situation...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">...you mean the old Apple that went from 7.5, to 7.5.1, to 7.5.2, to 7.5.3, to 7.5.3 revision B, to...?

Or are we thinking of different companies?

:|

I'll not pay because it merely makes up for ineptities that should not have been present in the first place.

...what, you don't like that? Well, my conscience doesn't have a problem with it...

DNA man
Senior User
Jul 19, 2002, 11:02 AM

Just go back to using OS9! Has most of the features jaguar has and is faster! Why upgrade?

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2002, 12:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by DNA man:
<strong>Just go back to using OS9! Has most of the features jaguar has and is faster! Why upgrade?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I sure hope that was a joke...

Anyway, Cipher13 the whole 7.5, to 7.5.1, to 7.5.2, to 7.5.3, to 7.5.3 revision B "updates" were not real updates... they were major bug fixes...

and nothing changed with the OS really...

I think the 10.1 to 10.2 jump is more like the 8.6 to 9 jump... I know that apple wants to hole on to the "X" for as long as it can so they aren't going to be number jumping any time soon... I wonder if they are going to go 10.3, 10.4 etc... or if the next one will be 10.5...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2002, 12:53 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, Apple's OS naming scheme seemingly has adopted a *nix approach. The only *nix I use consistently (other than OS X) is SGI's Irix which is currently at v. 6.5.11. It's been in the 6.5 range for at least a couple years (I haven't verified that sgi.com, bit I'm pretty sure.).

For Apple, this is problematic marketing because a "dot one" revision, to the public, doesn't sound like a helluva lot, so the value seems quite a bit less for the $129. Compared on a pre-X scale, 10.2 is similar to a OS 7 to OS 8 jump, I feel. Perhaps this is why Apple's stressing the "Jaguar" moniker. I can't remember when Apple has embraced a code name in its marketing and packaging. Will a time come where users stop referring to digits and using proper names a la Windows (You're still running Jaguar? I upgraded to Lion, a month ago. A friend of mine's got an early build of Albino Siberian Tiger.)?

We've got quite a while till we see 10.5, .7, .9 if Apple strictly follows the Irix pattern, but of course, it's all up to Apple.

When the OS becomes 64-bit, we might see OS XI (and hopefully a Spinal Tap tie-in: "This OS goes to 11. It's one more."
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2002, 01:59 PM

Just be glad Apple isn't like Sun, where 2.7 is really Sun OS 5.7 or Solaris 7 or some screwed up crap like that...

eep!
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2002, 10:25 PM

didn't one of the linux distros go from 2.* to 8.* just so it looked like they'd been around as long?
didn't autocad also jump in version number.
i'll second what jblake said about how much apple have invested in 'X' as a brand. also, i can't wait for the topics "is XI 'eleven' or' ecks-eye'?"

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2002, 10:44 PM

heh, if I didn't get it for free (a perk) I would most likely pay, but I would be wondering what good my "software coupons" were...
Am I still here?

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jul 19, 2002, 11:22 PM

The only goddamn chance they have of me paying $129 for it is if it was OS-****ing-XI.

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2002, 11:31 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
<strong>*knocks MikeM32 on the head 3 times* hello McFly?!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Haha that is great. You kill me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules