Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NO ONE MORE THING

NO ONE MORE THING
I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 02:57 PM

let the whining begin... same PowerMacs

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 03:03 PM

yeah, quite disappointing. all that hype...

i was waiting for one more thing, too...

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:06 PM

damn... at least a lot of people that would have bought powermacs will buy imacs... then we can bring on the g5

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:09 PM

you mean you missed it? you must have switched off too soon and missed him coming back on stage in best rockstar fashion to do his 'encore'

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 03:16 PM

wow, this is just embarassing....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

imacman11
Jan 7, 2002, 03:30 PM

Yeah... as soon as they showed us that the new iMacs had G4 processors, you KNEW they had to up the G4s to insanely high speeds or to a G5.

But waiting even 10 minutes after the show, nothing came up...no "just one more thing"...

Doh...

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 03:34 PM

The LCD/G4 rebate lasts till 1/31/02--new PowerMac and displays not till after, I would think.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Mskr
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>you mean you missed it? you must have switched off too soon and missed him coming back on stage in best rockstar fashion to do his 'encore'</STRONG>
I glad that you're amusing yourself, m a d r a. I doubt you're amusing anyone else.
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 03:38 PM

I'm gonna go home tonight and stick my head in the frickin oven.

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2002, 03:40 PM

With Intel announcing a new 2.2 GHz P4, you might want to wonder why the hell Apple even bothers making hardware anymore.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

davecom
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by starman:
<STRONG>With Intel announcing a new 2.2 GHz P4, you might want to wonder why the hell Apple even bothers making hardware anymore.

Mike</STRONG>
This is Motorola's fault, not Apple's. What are you even comparing?

theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 03:46 PM

What a bunch of bitchers...

iMac with hign spec G4 and a SuperDrive and your complaining... Remember there is another Expo next month..

Maybe you're just pissing cause all of you pro guys are now officially in the "Consumer" bracket

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:49 PM

I glad that you're amusing yourself, m a d r a. I doubt you're amusing anyone else.
awww! is 'ickle diddums all upset coz santa wanta stevey wevey bwoke his 'ickle heart?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2002, 03:58 PM

This is Motorola's fault, not Apple's. What are you even comparing?
Apple should just cut its losses and get out of the relationship with Moto. Build machines based on Intel chips, and it's one less argument about the hardware. Compete directly with Windows on level ground. Instead, they keep on with Motorola and they can't even break the 1GHz barrier. Consumers are going to look at Apple's hardware specs and just say "errr...why?". The Intel chip's clock speed is 3x that of the best PowerMac. Yeah, the Megahertz Myth, etc...it all boils down to perception of value.

What gives Apple an edge today? Not much.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 04:02 PM

iMac with hign spec G4 and a SuperDrive and your complaining...
the new imacs come with my complaining?!!! now that is revolutionary!

man0
Jan 7, 2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by imacman11:
<STRONG>
But waiting even 10 minutes after the show, nothing came up...no "just one more thing"...

Doh...</STRONG>
I forgot my quicktime streaming going and suddenly Steve came back for the show

thay broadcasted again all the keynote, and this time was even able to see it...
------&gt;man0

Glasspusher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2002, 04:37 PM

I've got to chime in here:

The new imacs are nice, but now they're nearly as fast as the towers? A bigger ibook with the same screen resolution? Now the ibook is the least expensive mac model?

A flat screen imac was not beyond the rumor sites at all. I wasn't blown away. Apple must think people are pretty unimaginative if they think we can't dream up better, albeit realistic expectations in response to that campaign. Steve must have really turned on the RDF for the folks at Time to make this a cover story.

Without the pre game hype, it would have been an interesting Keynote. I'll focus on that and forget the rest.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Glasspusher ]

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2002, 05:24 PM

well, they hype is just that, hype. It made us all stand up and pay attention, s�?

Marketing's job is done.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 05:27 PM

And so at the end of MacWorld, Steve makes a surprise appearance and says, "Oh, and one more thing..." and unveils the show stopepr of all!
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jan 7, 2002, 07:05 PM

And so at the end of MacWorld, Steve makes a surprise appearance and says, "Oh, and one more thing..." and unveils the show stopepr of all!
Don't hold your breath

Mike

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 11:20 PM

Don't build machines based on Intel chips. Build them based on AMD chips!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2002, 01:10 AM

Man, what is wrong with that man? Who wants a table lamp? I want a fast, flexible OS that does Java at human speeds. Maybe they should just cut their losses and go to x86. On second thoughts I hope they don't do that because then this whole circus will start again. Slow OS, no apps, expensive custom built Apple x86 computers that look like toilet seats and table lamps. I must stop this whining, it's depressing me.
weird wabbit

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jan 8, 2002, 01:28 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 03:17 AM. )

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2002, 02:59 AM

well everyone always waiting for 'one more thing' may be a problem for when they don't have one, so maybe it's about time steve stopped it. Last macworld was a disaster not because of any real product problems, but because people created a bunch of crap in their heads and expected it to show up.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 8, 2002, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by starman:
<STRONG>What gives Apple an edge today? Not much.
</STRONG>
Actually, two very big things: usefulness, and ease of use.

As I have mentioned before elsewhere, the PC market on the Wintel side is in serious trouble -- there isn't much differentiating one commodity brand from another, and consumers are no longer buying new machines just because they are faster.

The fact is that except for high-end gaming (which is only a small part of the gaming market), and a few high-end apps like Maya and such, any modern computer is more than capable. For what most folks do with their computers, what they already have is more than enough horsepower.

Many computer vendors on the PC side were dying slowly while waiting for Microsoft to release XP, so that there might be a reason for the masses to upgrade their machines. Even that isn't turning out as well as they'd hoped.

How does this relate to Apple? They are offering simplicity, elegance, real-world solutions to people, right out of the box, on machines that may not be the fastest out there, but they are more than capable.

A computer's value has nothing to do with its speed. It has to do with how much people can get done with it. Things like Mail, iTools, iDVD, iMovie, iTunes, and now iPhoto allow people to do some very impressive and mainstream things, right out of the box. This appeals to people -- I can't tell you how many folks I know who are considering buying a Mac so that they can use iPhoto.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>

Don't hold your breath

Mike</STRONG>
It was written in jest. I've lived over a half century, and while I have used macs every day for 12 years, my life is not based on Macs, nor what Apple does or does not do. [In fact, I was a math major -85 credits - and physics minor in the days before hand hled calculators. I never learned to use a slide rule - yep, 90% of my calcuations were done in my head, with a few chicken scratches on paper to trigger my memory.]

Even my old MacClassic was light years ahead of anything I had seen growing up. I bought a used Blueberry 300 Mhz a few months ago as my traveling companion. It's great, runs 9.2.2 and gives me no problem. I use it for theological papers, research, email, and page layout, and as a traveling complement to my Beige G3 MT.

So while the speculation on MacWorld and Steve's podium habits goes on, it is amusing to say the least.

From an old codger - having fun.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules