Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you play Disc Golf?

Do you play Disc Golf?
Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 02:06 PM

I recently discovered disc golf and I can't get enough. You use these weird specialty frisbees but (at least here) you play in a forest with trees and gullies.It's sort of like hiking with a purpose (but I guess you could say that about hitchhiking too) Any way was just wondering if there are any other discgolfers out there.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2002, 02:44 PM

Yes! Been playing for 4 years. Turned my college age son on to it. It's a nice walk in a park looking for plastic. I'll never be great at it but like "real" golf if you work at it you get better.
We have a course in San Diego with one hole through a stand birch trees - it's like a pinball palace.
fatmac->macplus->P550->280c->PM7250->Yosemite->iMac800-> Intel iMac 2gig

boardsurfer
Apr 24, 2002, 03:39 PM

We have a course in San Diego with one hole through a stand birch trees - it's like a pinball palace.[/QB]
AHHHHHGHGH! I hate that hole! It's freakin impossible, yet somehow my 15 year old nephew sails right through it every time.

Have you ever noticed that there is a lot of pot smokin goin on there? I have never gone to play there and not been offered a hit of some sort. (I dont smoke)
Anyway, yeah frisbee golf is great fun and the price is definately right, $1 all day!

BS

marusin
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 04:38 PM

I've been thinking of getting into this but what do I really need to bring? How many and what "clubs/discs" do you need? Just wondering.. There's a course by the house we just moved into and sounds interesting!

boardsurfer
Apr 24, 2002, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
<STRONG>I've been thinking of getting into this but what do I really need to bring? How many and what "clubs/discs" do you need? Just wondering.. There's a course by the house we just moved into and sounds interesting!</STRONG>

As I said above, its $1 all day. Bring an extra buck and they'll give you one to use. (Your mileage may vary) I've seen people carrying like 12 or 13 discs in a bag and it's just rediculous. Or you could spring the 12-14 bucks and buy your own. Seriously though, you only need one.

BS

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 06:40 PM

I play with just two "driver" disks (one is a spare) they cost $7 each. I am guessing you need to actually be pretty good before you go and buy a bag and a lot of discs. There are a lot of courses here in western north carolina, all of them free. When I say we play in the forest, I mean that literally. Thick hemlock and oak forest with thick brambles and steep hills. I kinda thought this was the norm until I looked online and say that most people play in a park. The trails are the fairways and you have to watch out for snakes and poison ivy.

boardsurfer
Apr 24, 2002, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Ratspittle:
<STRONG>I play with just two "driver" disks (one is a spare) they cost $7 each. I am guessing you need to actually be pretty good before you go and buy a bag and a lot of discs. There are a lot of courses here in western north carolina, all of them free. When I say we play in the forest, I mean that literally. Thick hemlock and oak forest with thick brambles and steep hills. I kinda thought this was the norm until I looked online and say that most people play in a park. The trails are the fairways and you have to watch out for snakes and poison ivy.</STRONG>
The course here *is* in a park, but they try their best to hide the baskets in the trees where possible. Your course sounds much more fun.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 07:30 PM

they play here at school... the "holes" are light poles, or trees, or whatever else is hard to hit... They also often play in the dark, don't ask me how!!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 24, 2002, 07:51 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 06:28 PM. )

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 07:56 PM

I have use two disc's. One is harder which is the driver the other is quite a bit softer and is the putter. Putter doesn't go too far if I hit the chains wrong. If it lands on its side it can still roll a long way down a hill.

It is also a bummer if one gets stuck in a spruce tree.
As a man comes, so he departs.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 08:01 PM

Ohhhh yeah.

There are four courses in town here. All of the have no charge. There is also a good hardcore group here in the Huntsville area. They are much better than me. I spend most of my time on the Redstone course. Its one of the best in the country. Well maintained, concrete trees, plenty of extra holes and alternate hole locations, great variety of hole types.

I own about 12 discs myself but only use two of them 90% of the time. There are a couple of the others I use occasionall if the situation dictates.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Apr 24, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>they play here at school... the "holes" are light poles, or trees, or whatever else is hard to hit... They also often play in the dark, don't ask me how!! </STRONG>
Used to do that occasionally in my college days. I haven't tried it yet, but the local group here does night golf on the "real" courses sometimes. They mark the holes with light sticks. They actually make phosphorous discs for this purpose. Most people charge them up using a normal flash light. The people really into use a portable black light to put a little more energy into the disc. Even with that I imagine it is pretty difficult in a park with very few lights.

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 12:39 AM

OH GOD YES I LOVE YOU.

disc golf is the bomb.
we had such sick courses around our campus,
we played at night all the time.
helps to have a glow-in-the-dark disc
or, (and?)
a lot of beer.

that way you won't loose anything.
but you wouldn't believe the number of buildings i've had to break into at three am on our campus to get out on the roof and get a disc off of...

ah those were the days. wow.
one time, my friend was bleeding all over the place (true disc golf should be played barefoot, as should life)
and we had a hole into the chapel,
but when we finally managed to hit the altar,
campus security screached up to the front and yelled at us all
and oh boy, did they REALLY YELL at the kid who was bleeding on the altar...

ha.

i play w/ standard size discs. you don't really need special ones,
and everyone should own a frisbee anyway

woo-woo!
(great thread).

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2002, 02:10 AM

When you are standing behind a tree and the disc bounces back at your head at alarming speed, you really appreciate playing in the woods. EVERY shot is an adventure. When you play in parks are there water hazards? like lakes?

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by boardsurfer:
<STRONG>

As I said above, its $1 all day. Bring an extra buck and they'll give you one to use. (Your mileage may vary) I've seen people carrying like 12 or 13 discs in a bag and it's just rediculous. Or you could spring the 12-14 bucks and buy your own. Seriously though, you only need one.

BS</STRONG>
Sorry board, morley just went up to a whole &lt;gasp&gt; $1.50
disc rental for a buck too

sdchef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>they play here at school... the "holes" are light poles, or trees, or whatever else is hard to hit... They also often play in the dark, don't ask me how!! </STRONG>
Sounds like UCIrvine's course. The fun part of that one is that it's in the middle of the school and you can peg a coed in the head going for the 6 hole

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 04:17 AM

We don't have this over here in the UK. Sounds like fun. Maybe I should start up a course...

Can you use an Aerobie 1 throw = 300yds

tinrib
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2002, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>We don't have this over here in the UK. Sounds like fun. Maybe I should start up a course...

Can you use an Aerobie 1 throw = 300yds </STRONG>
yes they do... - they had a course at my old uni (University of Essex) where they held some world championship every year. And I used to see a couple of hardcore frisbee golfers every day near my house in Bristol. I've played quite a few rounds in the past - good fun!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2002, 10:04 AM

growing up, it was simply called frisbee golf. we used real frisbees. my parents kept our camper at a private campground some 1 hour away and they had two courses set up...woods, rivers, thick bush, etc...good time was had by all. one week during the summer, there would be tournamets held by age group (i spent 7 summers going there in all, ages 9 to 15). people from all over the state would come and compete.

things were a little different for us (possible cause it was cheaper?) instead of baskets for the frisbee to land in, we simply had wooden targets nailed to the trees. you were on your honor durning non-tournament play. during tournaments, they would simply apply a fresh coat of water soluable paint. no disputes there...no mark, you didn't score. 3 field marshalls kept things legit/repainted/take care of disputes for those few bad apples.

the holes were long, obviously 18 in all. some where in upwards of 300 yards. 2 or 3 holes where par 1, most where par 2 and 3, a few 4s...the longer holes where par 5s. obsticals ranged from streams/rivers, thick birch clumps, hills and varing slices and hooks...learning to throw and control your disc with your opposite hand became necessary, dropping your score down 2 or 3 points in a round.

ah yes, the memories...

boardsurfer
Apr 25, 2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Ratspittle:
<STRONG>When you play in parks are there water hazards? like lakes?</STRONG>
Are you kidding? I would have to invest in 10 or 15 discs to make it through a game. There is no water, thankfully. I really stink at throwing those things, but playing is a blast!

Oh, and who mentioned the whammo thing? 300 yards is slightly overkill, our longest hole is about 150-175 yards. Are the other courses similar in length?

BS

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2002, 02:34 PM

Our woods course here is on average 400 yards a hole with one whole longer than 660 yds (and they call it a par 5 :confused You go and buy a disc and within 10 minutes the edges are shredded...time to bring out the sandpaper. I did not appreciate the specialty discs until today, I bought a "putter" which is sort of like a regular frisbee and I found out that now, I actually prefer the strange discs. they tend to curve but when you figure out how to throw one...man will it go! Also I think that if you tried to play with an aerobie it would get snagged up in a tree fairly quickly,

Forum Links
Forum Rules