Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone found a USB/OSX External HD Driver???

Anyone found a USB/OSX External HD Driver???
Neilwhit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 09:37 PM

I've got a relatively new Club Mac USB external HD that I would like to use as a spare (it is incredibly slow, so don't ever buy a USB drive). The original drivers don't work in OSX and the driver company no longer exists. Anyone found a USB driver/formatter that works in X???
G5 2.0; 15 " AlumPB 1.5
Miscl. other Macs
10.4.x

conny
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2002, 02:46 AM

What is the manufacturer of the IDE/USB bridge? I have exactly the same problem as you have. I have a USB hardrive that uses OnSpec's bridge. You can open Apple System Profiler to see what bridge you have. In OS 9 I used radialogic USB drivers which worked with this bridge. The company that made those drivers doesn't exist anymore (rumors were Apple bought them). I can use the drive when I run i classic but no native apps can see the harddrive. I'm buying a firewire case but I would still like to be able to use the USB case.
Anybody know about any generic drivers (not Apple's) that work with this bridge?

Neilwhit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2002, 09:19 AM

I've got the same Radialogic software. Haven't had a chance to check out the bridge. I hadn't noticed that I could see the drive at all in Classic or X, just in OS9.

You're right about getting a Firewire case for the drive (20 GB), although as you say you hate to toss the USB case.

Last night I did find that I could format the drive in OS9 from the Erase Disk command in the Special menu. Seems to mount fine, copy etc. But still cannot see it in OSX.
G5 2.0; 15 " AlumPB 1.5
Miscl. other Macs
10.4.x

Ricardo Azevedo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 04:13 PM

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the same issue -- USB external drive is not seen under OSX. It seems to crop up periodically in OSX discussions, but I haven't seen any solutions. There are posts dating back to the OSX public beta reporting this problem, and yet there is no solution from Apple. Surely it can't be that difficult a problem to solve. Please let me know if you find anything.

Ricardo

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2002, 09:37 PM

Try LaCie as they have a combo drive. I have never triede the USB option under X as I always use Firewire. They have a beta utility for formatting etc, but I'm sure if you e-mailed them they might be able to help.

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 07:26 PM

http://www.vsttech.com/downloads.asp

This worked with my VST hard drive... don't know about the bridge or what bridges the software supports.

Cheers!
Chris

Ricardo Azevedo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2002, 11:32 AM

I have found that the problem is with the PL-2307 USB to ATAPI-4 bridge controller made by Prolific Technologies. They feature in BUSlink HDs and BAFO HD enclosures. Basically there's no driver for OSX, though BUSlink say they are working on the problem. So we wait...

Ricardo

Originally posted by Chris_G:
<STRONG>http://www.vsttech.com/downloads.asp

This worked with my VST hard drive... don't know about the bridge or what bridges the software supports.

Cheers!
Chris</STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules