Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCal was super slow on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld

iCal was super slow on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld
Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2002, 09:47 PM

I was so disappointed to see how slow iCal was on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld. It reminded me of the original OS X.

Did you share the same opinion?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2002, 09:54 PM

I'm not surprised; a beta app on a beta os.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

sdahl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2002, 10:26 PM

thanks for warning us !
mac.com-email $$$
iDisk slow
iCal slow - wow
what will they think of next?

mchladek
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2002, 11:39 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by sdahl:
<strong>thanks for warning us !
mac.com-email $$$
iDisk slow
iCal slow - wow
what will they think of next?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">hmmm ... maybe:

A FREE kick a@@ MP3 encoder, player, CD burner

A FREE award-winning, easy-to-use, consumer DV editor

FREE DVD authoring software

iPhoto; awesome for pic organisation and simple corrections. How much does this cost? Oh, yeah, that's right NOTHING!

Internet Services (Sherlock, not .mac)--FREE

As far as .mac e-mail, iDisk space, and iCal I don't remember Apple saying anything to the effect that you could only use Apple services and apps. There are wonderful third-party developers out there.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 12:02 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Green Leaf:
<strong>I was so disappointed to see how slow iCal was on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld. It reminded me of the original OS X.

Did you share the same opinion?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">A pixel was off in the Address Book icon! And I absolutely know that it won't get fixed in the final release of Jaguar

What about iSync? Was that fast? If so why not post a thread about that? Oh yeah.. it always has to be a bad thing..

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2002, 12:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Green Leaf:
<strong>I was so disappointed to see how slow iCal was on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld. It reminded me of the original OS X.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Troll.

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Jul 20, 2002, 12:21 AM

Nope it is just as slow as iPhoto.

Green Leaf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2002, 12:28 AM

you said it not me!

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jul 20, 2002, 12:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by sdahl:
mac.com-email $$$
iDisk slow
iCal slow - wow
what will they think of next?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hmm....

.Mac is more than e-mail. It's 15 megs of e-mail space, 100MB of iDisk space, Backup (which I like), Virex, Homepage, iPhoto publishing, and future features like Jaguar screen saver integration, iCal integration, iSync support, etc. It's not $$$ for just e-mail. If all you need is e-mail, then obviously don't use it. I have always used and loved Mac.com e-mail and iDisk, and I'm quite enjoying Backup and the much, much better Homepage.

iDisk was slow, but it's pretty decent for me in 10.1.5, and from what I've seen and heard it's fricken' grand in Jaguar.

iCal is an in-development app that isn't due to be released for some time - I wouldn't expect it to be blazing fast just yet.

However, since I'm actually saying something positive about Apple, which is apparently forbidden on MacNN forums these days, I'm sure I'll be labeled an "Apple apologist" or an "Apple asskisser" or something. Whatever.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2002, 01:29 AM

Hey, Apple asskisser...

There, I said it

Basically, Apple has pulled a stunt from a very successful dot.com -- eBay. Remember the days when you could sell for free? More and more users flocked to eBay, until it reached such a point that they turned around and started charging. And what could most people do? They had become hooked, and eBay was, well eBay, the most well known destination for auctioning. So users pay today.

.mac is a bit of the same, although I think it's more of an improvisation -- I'm not convinced they planned to switch to a pay model from the very beginning, unlike eBay. In any event, some of us are hooked on iTools, and now we're faced with the question "do I like it enough to pay?" I personally enjoy the features of iTools, and with the extras of .mac, I am willing to try it for a year at $50. The idea of paying $100 seems a bit steep, but I guess if you work it out on a monthly basis like everything else (credit card bills, cable) it isn't that bad.

I don't think the transition was handled very gracefully, and I wish Apple would reconsider offering free e-mail at least. Even Micro$oft offers free Hotmail still, although the space is quite small and they always bombard you with upgrade ads. I just think that if Apple still allowed people to pull their new iMac out of the box and sign up for their own mac.com account for free, it would make "getting on the Internet" more fun. From what I can gather, offering free e-mail would make 99% of the complaints disappear. If Apple's strategy is to make "e-mail only" users pony up $50 or $100 a year, I think they're dreaming. I'll pony up because I use the other iTool/.mac options, and I can see the use of paying at least $50 for that (talk to me in a year if I think $100 is worth it). I think Apple is needlessly alienating a lot of people, and frankly sacrificing a nice perk for new/current Mac users.

Sorry this is a bit off-topic since the thread is about iCal.

<small>[ 07-20-2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: The Evener ]</small>

"Psssst..."

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2002, 01:44 AM

good point. And they could make the email POP instead of IMAP - which would make the reliance of server space for your email a little less neccessary (since it would get cleaned off each time you check your email).

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2002, 01:56 AM

iDisk is NOT slow. I transfered 15mb Quicktime file to my movies folder in 5 seconds

GaelDesign
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2002, 02:25 AM

<strong>I was so disappointed to see how slow iCal was on OS X 10.2 machines at Macworld. It reminded me of the original OS X.

Did you share the same opinion?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hey yeah, iCal sucks, man. And some buddy o' mine who's friend's niece's cousin's grandfather's brother's son's former roommate got a chance to try out an alpha build of iTunes 3.1 says that the new textured marble skin is really ugly and the 3D holographic visualizations are only 2 frames per second. WTF is Apple thinking? I think I'm gonna go get a Dell, Dude!

Jared
President and Art Director of GaelDesign
Member of Distant Oaks - Celtic and Early Music Ensemble

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2002, 08:18 AM

It's knee-jerk reaction thread!

GaelDesign - why the 'my grandad's brother' crap? It's hardly fourth-hand knowledge.

Apple is showing this software at MWNY and apparently it's pretty slow. Nobody came to back this up, only to fly off the handle at the merest suggestion that Apple might release something that isn't snapiness-central.

It's happened before, and this close to release, it may happen again. We've had two releases of iPhoto so far, and let's be honest, launch times and general responsiveness are still pretty bad. So maybe it WILL be slow. Ever think about that?

Chris

<small>[ 07-20-2002, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: clebin ]</small>

bateman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2002, 09:07 AM

[/QUOTE]Hey yeah, iCal sucks, man. And some buddy o' mine who's friend's niece's cousin's grandfather's brother's son's former roommate got a chance to try out an alpha build of iTunes 3.1 says that the new textured marble skin is really ugly and the 3D holographic visualizations are only 2 frames per second. WTF is Apple thinking? I think I'm gonna go get a Dell, Dude!

Jared[/QB][/QUOTE]

yeah, i like your sence of humour guy!

h�h�.
argh

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2002, 12:38 PM

GUYS! Green Leaf is a troll, move on or give him some to links to Dell or M$ support forums or something where he'd have a lot more support posts to read thru.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2002, 01:10 PM

mac.com-email $$$
iDisk slow
iCal slow - wow
what will they think of next?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Mitchell_pgh rating: 1 our of 10 (Troll)

<small>[ 07-20-2002, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: mitchell_pgh ]</small>

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2002, 08:58 PM

Isn't green leaf what used to be Shywizard , the fu�khead that trolled around here for pleasure and non-profit?
weird wabbit

BTP
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2002, 09:07 PM

Theo, probably.

Like he was at Macworld. LOL!

Close this thread someone. It is as useless as the troll that started it.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jul 21, 2002, 11:00 AM

Did you share the same opinion?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well i'll take the minority position and say, yes iCal was absolutely slow. Very disapointing. And all this talk about it being a beta app, BS. I recall looking at the Get Info tag and was clearly v1.0. And on a iMac/800 with GFMX4?! Resizing in other apps was not much better than 10.1.5.

If this is the state of new applications created on and for OS X, Apple's got a long way to go before they can be considered a serious commercial software house.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2002, 04:04 PM

Slow what? Slow resizing? Slow to launch? Slow to create or switch schedules? Is everything equally slow? And does it have any interesting not-quite-stated features, or work well, aside from its speed?

If you're going to post your reaction, do some testing and state what's what.

"iCal is slow" doesn't say much of anything.

And, please, let's not have the it's-only-beta vs. just-because-it's-not-released-doesn't-mean-it'll-get-faster argument again. We know it's beta. It may get faster in a month or two. It may not.

woudstock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2002, 04:38 PM

Slow in Resizing. (About 2 second delay to catch up to the cursor). Slow in switching calendars / colors. When clicking on a different color/calendar there is an obvious/frustrating delay before the color you clicked comes to the front.

Yes, it is not done. No one is complaining, just stating facts.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2002, 06:26 PM

Control Strip - Damn that things small! Howw can anyone use it!!?

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules