Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Klez Virus Questions

Klez Virus Questions
n_lim
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 09:09 AM

Hi all.

My relatives all across Asia and I have been exchanging e-mails for quite some time and just recently all of us have been getting a ton of the Klez virus infected e-mails. I know that macs cannot be infected, but can be a carrier and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop carrying the virus? I am using mail.app in OSX.1.4 exclusively and do not have any anti-virus software in X, but I do have norton on the OS9 side which I never use besides classis. Would running norton in 9 solve this issue since it is on the same harddrve?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

n.lim
Ti 667 dvd
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 09:17 AM

I use Norton Antivirus 8 for OS X, so have not tried running NAV from OS 9 to disinfect an OS X partition/drive. But it seems like it should work, so IMHO it's worth a try.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 12:58 PM

Just don't forward the mails with the klez-attachments, and nothing will happen. Or delete the attachments. That's all, no virex or antivirus needed!
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

KidRed
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 01:38 PM

This is one I got today, LOL

Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.
Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.
We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.
NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
If you have any question,please mail to me <mailto:[email protected]> .
They are getting clever. The attachment was a .bat file.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2002, 01:50 PM

If you don't forward the attachments with the Klez virus, you will not spread it. PC's running the Windows version of Outlook spread the virus easily, because of the myriad security holes in the client whereby the virus can force Outlook to forward it. But it can't do that to any other e-mail client (not even the Mac version of OE or Entourage) so they're safe.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

n_lim  (op)
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have, of course, been deleting any e-mails that I have been getting that look suspicious and not forwarding or replying to any of them. The problem is that Klez has been sending e-mails that appear as though they are from me, although after reading some descriptions of Klez it appears that it is actually sending e-mails that look to be from me, but are actually from my relatives' pc mail programs! Pretty nasty devil. Looks like there is nothing I can really do on my end to stop this, but I will have to keep a look out for any more suspicious e-mails (I have been getting a klez infected e-mail at least twice a day from my relatives' e-mail addresses).

Thanks for the advice all!
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules