Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > classic ruined

classic ruined
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2002, 01:46 AM

I have a iMac 500 (early 2001) with 20 GB hard drive running 10.1.3 and 9.2.2. I basically have the habit of clicking the wrong applications, and forcing them to quit if I misclicked. This also has happened sometimes with Classic.

Now when I wanted Classic to boot yesterday inside OS X it came up normally, but opened an application with a document icon called ClassicSupport UI. Classic worked fine, however, the icons where just gone. I thought; rebuild desktop. So I clicked it in the Classic Panel of SysPrefs, and it greyed out and.... nothing happened!

I guess I must have ruined my whole Classic stuffie with my OS X habits on OS 9, so what would now be a nice thing to do. I think about buying a 40 Gig FireWire drive so maybe I can backup the disk which is 18 GB full, and then erase the whole thing and reinstall OS 9 and OS X totally, but are there any other solutions?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

maroma
Apr 5, 2002, 02:17 AM

I basically have the habit of clicking the wrong applications, and forcing them to quit if I misclicked. This also has happened sometimes with Classic.

uhhhhh..that is a really bad habit. ESPECIALLY in OS 9, less so in OS X. Anyways, I'm sure you could just try an reinstall your OS X system and you'll be OK. I've read that you can 'reinstall' OS X 'on top' of your existing X system and it will only replace what it needs to. But someone else will surely have a conformation or better solution for fixing your problem. All I know is, force quitting an application that is in the process of starting up can't be good for your system. And is OS 9, it almost certainly lead to very bad things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules