Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iDisk speed

iDisk speed
KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 13, 2002, 06:02 AM

Why was iDisk faster 10 months ago on a 56k modem than I'm finding it today on DSL?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 13, 2002, 06:08 AM

If I remeber correctly, it happened when they turned iDisk over to WebDAV. It is strictly a OSX problem internal problem. Try out Goliath (found on Version Tracker) and you can use that for quick iDisk mounting and item transferring. Also, GoLive6s' built in WebDAV client is super fast, too. Failing those, use AFP to connect (still a little slow though).

Why Apple hasn't fixed this OSX problem is beyond me. How can they tout their free services when one of them runs like extreme crap?

-s'fit

nest18
Mar 13, 2002, 07:31 AM

The fastest way to connect to iDisk is by AppleTalk.

To do so enter afp://idisk.mac.com in your web browser. once you have your iDisk mount mak an alis and use it.

That's it
An apple a day keep the Doctor Away :P

sjk
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2002, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
<STRONG>... Try out Goliath (found on Version Tracker) and you can use that for quick iDisk mounting and item transferring.</STRONG>
Goliath for iDisk access is light years faster over my cable broadband link than either of Apple's standard connection methods. The VT information is stale; Goliath 0.9 was just updated on March 12th so it's still getting active development. Thanks for the useful tip.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2002, 04:19 AM

what do you type in the server field in Goliath to connect to iDisk?

Quinn
Mar 14, 2002, 06:31 AM

In the file menu there is a 'connect to iDisk' option. Just fill in your username and password.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2002, 10:34 AM

Wow.
I just used the "Connect to Server" option for the first time instead of the choosing "iDisk" from the Go menu, and iDisk is easily ten times faster. Thanks for the tips, people!

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2002, 10:49 AM

I'm off to check out Goliath...
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Quinn:
<STRONG>In the file menu there is a 'connect to iDisk' option. Just fill in your username and password.</STRONG>
There is no such menu selection in the File menu, at least, not in the version I downloaded. I haven't been able to get it to connect to iDisk, what is the syntax?

Quinn
Mar 14, 2002, 01:14 PM

SMacTech,

I am running Goliath 0.9 on Mac OS X 10.1.3 (Just downloaded Goliath two days ago). I was slightly wrong, it actually says "Open iDisk Connection".

You can also type in:
http://idisk.mac.com/username/

and fill in your username and password.

Hope this helps...

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2002, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
<STRONG>

There is no such menu selection in the File menu, at least, not in the version I downloaded. I haven't been able to get it to connect to iDisk, what is the syntax?</STRONG>
Press the cancel button on the default dialogue that appears and then select "Open iDisk connection" from the File menu.

You might want to change your preferences to stop the default dialogue appearing each time you open the app (assuming you are only going to use it for iDisk).

The speed difference with this app relative to either Apple method is remarkable. FWIW, using the Terminal to navigate iDisk once mounted is the quickest if you don't have Goliath...

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 01:32 PM

<STRONG>SMacTech,

I am running Goliath 0.9 on Mac OS X 10.1.3 (Just downloaded Goliath two days ago). I was slightly wrong, it actually says "Open iDisk Connection".

You can also type in:
http://idisk.mac.com/username/

and fill in your username and password.

Hope this helps...</STRONG>
Thanks Quinn, I got it working now, although in the File menu all I see is Open Connection. But it is so much faster than any other method I cannot believe Apple has not fixed it yet.

However, I cannot access the Mac OSX Software folder, as I get an error 'URL Not found on this Server'. There is an obvious bug as it is appending my user name to the path after Mac OS X Software. http://idisk.mac.com/mactech/Mac%OS%...h/Software/Mac OS X Software/Applications is what it shows in the title bar of the separate window it opens.
There is also a refresh window bug, where if you expand an arrow, it spins and spins, but it actually opens the folder but doesn't display until a window refresh is generated.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: SMacTech ]

Quinn
Mar 14, 2002, 01:39 PM

SMacTech,

You using OS X right? On my version of Goliath 'Open iDisk Connection' is right below 'Open Connection'.

Anyway, now that you have got it working you can save the connection and then just double click the icon and your iDisk opens. I have three icons on my desktop for my three iDisks.

Great little application.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 01:45 PM

<STRONG>SMacTech,

You using OS X right? On my version of Goliath 'Open iDisk Connection' is right below 'Open Connection'.
</STRONG>
Yes, I am using OS X 10.1.3 and I don't use anything else, unless forced too
But it doesn't say Open iDisk Connection, but hey, it works, it is fast. Do you get the error I noted in the post above, or the window bug?

Quinn
Mar 14, 2002, 01:58 PM

SMacTech,

Weird. I can access my Mac OS X Software folder with no problems and do not experience the window bug. All works really well. You sure you got the latest version of Goliath?

The only problem I am having is with HomePage not updating my index.html file so it still point to a Photo Album which I deleted 2 days ago!!!

Quinn

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2002, 02:06 PM

<STRONG>SMacTech,
You sure you got the latest version of Goliath?
</STRONG>
Just downloaded it from versiontracker. version 0.9 experimental 1
I went to the developer page and downloaded that one and it now is as you say.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: SMacTech ]

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2002, 02:51 PM

same here, the version on their homepage is different from version Tracker,,,

just goes to show, Version Tracker is not that up-to-date and I visit it regularly everyday.
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

Forum Links
Forum Rules