Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't find Quicktime.app

Can't find Quicktime.app
tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2002, 12:19 AM

My quicktime application is missing. I can still preview quicktime movies in column view but when I click on them, it launches quicktime in 9. I searched by drive and cannot find it. I fear it may have been thrown out. I tried to download from Apple but they do not have quicktime for 10. I looked on my OS 10 disk and OS 10.1 upgrade disk but neither has an option to just reinstall quicktime. Any ideas on how I can get quicktime? I do not want to have to reinstall 10, then 10.1, then 10.1.2 just to get quicktime. Any help would be appreciated.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 12:30 AM

I suggest you try to reinstall from the 10.1 disk. It won't actually reinstall everything; it'll just look for missing components and install those.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

tommy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2002, 12:43 AM

The 10.1 disk won't work as a way to install quicktime. It won't install anything on my 10.1.2 drive because, "the disk image is dimmed because it does not contain a previous version of OS 10."

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2002, 12:57 AM

There is a way to get on the CD and extract files from it...I think you have to navigate to Essentials or something, then use OpenUp to open the archive, which gives you all the apps, I am not positive that that is the exact way, there was a thread not too long ago about this..

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 01:09 AM

Ah yes, Pacifist is the app you should look for to extract QuickTime Player.app from the installer. Look for it on VersionTracker.com.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 01:13 AM

The best way to extract an individual file from the 10.1 CD is to download Pacifist (link in my signature) and use it to open the file 'Essentials.pkg' found in the folder System/Installation/Packages on the 10.1 Install/Update CD-ROM. From there, you can extract any individual file or folder, such as Quicktime.app.

If you use OpenUp, you will have to first extract the entire Essentials package to your hard disk, find the file you need and put it in its place, and then trash the rest. As the contents of Essentials are over 400 MB in size, this can be a real pain. Pacifist is easier and less time-consuming, requires less hard disk space, and causes less drive and directory fragmentation.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 01:14 AM

Hey StarfleetX, you beat me to plugging my own product!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tommy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2002, 01:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I used Pacifist and have quicktime back. The only thing it is now version 5.0 and I believe I used to have 5.0.2. Tried to use quicktime's up-to-date and it says I am up-to-date at version 5.0 Odd.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by tommy:
<STRONG>Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I used Pacifist and have quicktime back. The only thing it is now version 5.0 and I believe I used to have 5.0.2. Tried to use quicktime's up-to-date and it says I am up-to-date at version 5.0 Odd.</STRONG>
This is risky business, but...

You can try going to the /System/Library/QuickTime folder and removing all the files that end in .component. Since this is risky, I would move the files to another folder rather than deleting them. You will need root access to do this.

The components in /System/Library/QuickTime look like they are ordinary installers, and QuickTime probably uses them as receipts, and re-downloads them if they're missing. However, tread with caution here, because I have not tested this.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2002, 02:29 AM

Woa... before you go deleting things out of your System folder, try deleting the update receipt left from when you upped QT 5 to 5.0.2.

Check /Library/Receipts for QuickTimeUpdate.pkg and remove that. Then try running software update.

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 02:58 AM

dp

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: iSore ]
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 03:02 AM

You'll need to trash the file QuickTimeUpdate.pkg as starfleetX suggests.
If Software Update still doesn't show the QT package, you can try editing ~/Library/Preferences/Software Update/softwareupdate.log: it's an XML file -- just delete the QuickTime entry (if there is one), including the opening and closing &lt;dict&gt; &lt;/dict&gt; tags.
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>Woa... before you go deleting things out of your System folder, try deleting the update receipt left from when you upped QT 5 to 5.0.2.

Check /Library/Receipts for QuickTimeUpdate.pkg and remove that. Then try running software update.</STRONG>
That would be great, except... there is no /Library/Receipts/QuickTimeUpdate.pkg or anything like that. Before posting that last post, I checked each and every package in my Receipts folder with Pacifist, and didn't find an updated QuickTime Player.app in any of them. I believe those Components in the /System/Library/QuickTime folder *are* the receipts. However, I haven't tested it, and yes it is dangerous, which is why I recommended moving the files to some other folder, *not* deleting them.

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>

That would be great, except... there is no /Library/Receipts/QuickTimeUpdate.pkg or anything like that. Before posting that last post, I checked each and every package in my Receipts folder with Pacifist, and didn't find an updated QuickTime Player.app in any of them. I believe those Components in the /System/Library/QuickTime folder *are* the receipts. However, I haven't tested it, and yes it is dangerous, which is why I recommended moving the files to some other folder, *not* deleting them.</STRONG>
Interesting. It's there in my /Receipts/ -- go figure.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 04:19 PM

Well, in that case, I guess you should try trashing the receipt. Strange. I do not have that file.

Forum Links
Forum Rules