Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Skewed (funny) cursor problem

Skewed (funny) cursor problem
Haly2k1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2002, 07:00 PM

On my PowerMac G 4, using OS 10.1.2, occasionally, when coming out of 'screen saver', I find the cursor elongated and skewed, and that it 'hot spot' is about an inch above the tip of the now funny shaped cursor.
The only 'fix' I've found is to re-start, which I have to do by clicking the Apple, and position the point of the funny cursor about an inch below 'restart', which does highlight.
Click, it restarts, and is okay -- until the next time.
Any ideas? suggestions?
Hal

max4ever
Jan 31, 2002, 09:40 PM

I've had a similar problem--except instead of the cursor becoming elongated, etc., it simply disappears. I don't realize how much i count on that little black arrow to guide me until I'm without it. So I slide my Pro Mouse to the top-left corner of the screen, then move right just a little, click, and out pops the Apple Menu. I can only fix it by restarting. Sometimes, though, I don't feel like restarting, so I try to work without a visible cursor for awhile--you actually get fairly used to it, as long as you remember where you "left" your cursor anytime you stop using the mouse.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2002, 01:09 AM

That is a weird problem, never had saw anything like that before. However, I think that if you wanted to fix it, you probably could by entering ">console" as the user in the login screen (no password). This shuts down the window manager.

Then to get out, just login at the prompt and enter the command "exit"

I don't know for sure if this will work, but I'm guessing it will, and it should save you a few minutes over rebooting.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Forum Links
Forum Rules