Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > kernel panics due to Alcatel USB modem??

kernel panics due to Alcatel USB modem??
sgrup
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2002, 05:13 AM

I've been having KPs which seem to be occurring due to an Alcatel USB ADSL modem. The problem happens on both a G3 766 and an iBook 600 both running 10.1.3. The KP seems to have a high probability of occurring while plugging the USB modem in or out but not exclusively - it also occurs randomly with the modem plugged in or not (i'm pretty sure it's due to the modem because my iBook has never had a KP in the 5 months i've been using it until i installed the modem driver when it crashed 3 times in 2 days)

has anyone had this problem with an Alcatel modem, and more importantly does anyone have a fix for this

thx,

s

SYN
Senior User
Apr 13, 2002, 05:23 AM

this is a known bug of the OSX drivers, you can't hot-unplug the modem (or even put the computer in deep sleep for that matter), or you get a KP sooner or later.

To this date, there is no fix. Some have found removing the dockling that came with the drivers fixes some of the KPs, but not the hot-unplug kps. YMMV.

New drivers are apparently in the work.

The biggest ressource i've found on the net regarding this modem is www.macadsl.com, a french site. However I seem to recall there is a similar site in the uk, have no idea what the url might be though.

Cheers.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 09:51 AM

Alcatel SpeedTouch = POS

Alcatel do not deserve your money for their useless Mac support.

Please don't buy their products.

Ethernet routers are only a little more money, and a much better bet.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

WebOliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by booboo:
<STRONG>Alcatel SpeedTouch = POS

Alcatel do not deserve your money for their useless Mac support.

Please don't buy their products.

Ethernet routers are only a little more money, and a much better bet.</STRONG>
Sure. Boycott french products!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2002, 03:09 PM

the main point is to get an ethernet modem. imo you're entitled to one--it is consumer choice. go get one on the grey or legit market or get bt to sell you one.

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by WebOliver:
<STRONG>

Sure. Boycott french products! </STRONG>
No, I wouldn't want you to think that.

I love the French.

So much more style than us 'Brits'.

I was born in Jersey, so I'm nearly French myself ;-)

Fotek2001
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2002, 06:22 PM

Alcatel are supposed to be introducing a new driver at the end of April and they know about all these bugs. In the meantime they recommend a number potential fixes which I've pasted directly from the support e-mail they sent me:

Thank you for posting your request for assistance to the Alcatel Helpdesk.

We summarise your request as follows, please correct us if the following information proves to be incorrect or if additional information might be useful in helping us solving your issue:

1. Product: Speedtouch USB
2. Computer (Manufacturer, Model):
3. Operating System and Version: Mac OS X

Problem (Summary):

I get a PPP error when I try and make a connection.

Solution:

We suggest you make the connection as soon as you are booted up into MAC OS X.
This is now a known issue we are expecting a new driver end of April.

Two tips we are giving with this driver:

- unpluging modem may render OS unstable: workaround = don't unplug modem

- system may become unstable if Diagnostics icon is left open for a time or if ST USB dockling is present in the Dock: workaround = close it.

I will put you on a list to receive information on the new driver as soon as we have it.

Thank you for making ALCATEL products part of your Internet Solution.
I have to say, that their support seems very good. The driver might not be that great but I got this response from their web support in a matter of hours and it looks like they're addressing the issues...

PS. The best UK ADSL website is: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Fotek2001 ]

booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Fotek2001:
<STRONG>Alcatel are supposed to be introducing a new driver at the end of April and they know about all these bugs. In the meantime they recommend a number potential fixes which I've pasted directly from the support e-mail they sent me:

I have to say, that their support seems very good. The driver might not be that great but I got this response from their web support in a matter of hours and it looks like they're addressing the issues...

PS. The best UK ADSL website is: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Fotek2001 ]</STRONG>
Their support seems very good! A matter of hours? They've had over a fscking year!

You might feel differently when they overshoot their deadline by 6 months. They've yet to meet one, for Mac users. We'll see.

It took them 9 months to get an OS 9 driver out! 6 months beyond their original deadline. It finally arrived - with issues that have never been fixed in the intervening 18 months.

They put the OS X driver on hold - 5 months after OS X PB was released - so they could concentrate on the Windows XP driver. Gee, thanks.

When the OS X driver came out - 6 months late - it's barely useable. BT couldn't get them to work at all. No documentation.

But alcatel are so, so kind to acknowledge the kernel panics their crappy software causes. Do you consider that good support? Acknowledgement of their own serious bugs?

Some of us are/were trapped into 12 month contracts which alcatel have made some serious money from. It doesn't work? Too bad.

Finally there are alternatives.
They don't give a **** about Mac users so why defend them? Do you work for them?

Or are you simply a full time apologist? Are

I've changed my mind. Just open your cheque book and send them a blank cheque. Just don't expect a thank-you.

Edit: I've added a 'PS'

PS: the only reason they were so quick to reply is because they've had so many complaints. It was probably a quasi-random automated response.

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: booboo ]

macmend
Apr 14, 2002, 07:22 AM

try going here, for everything you need to know about adsl and macs
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=mac

or do what I did...ditch the modem and use a router
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

Forum Links
Forum Rules