Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What's a good (non-photoshop) photo and text editor for osx?

What's a good (non-photoshop) photo and text editor for osx?
AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 01:38 AM

Simple stuff, mainly text manipulation...drop shadows, orientations...etc.
Needs to run in osx.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 01:41 AM

anyone ever use bbedit light? a quick forum search suggests that might be good.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2002, 02:03 AM

I don't know if BBEdit does images. GraphicConverter does, though. I don't know if it does everything you want, though. If you don't mind installing XDarwin, you could get your hands on the Gimp (GNU image manipulation program). IIRC, it is meant to compete with PS, but pros always say that it isn't close. You can check it out for yourself <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gimp" target="_blank">here</a>.

Other than those, I don't know.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 02:06 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
<strong>I don't know if BBEdit does images. GraphicConverter does, though. I don't know if it does everything you want, though. If you don't mind installing XDarwin, you could get your hands on the Gimp (GNU image manipulation program). IIRC, it is meant to compete with PS, but pros always say that it isn't close. You can check it out for yourself <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gimp" target="_blank">here</a>.

Other than those, I don't know.

BlackGriffen</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">thanks for the reply...BBedit wasn't what I was looking for at all. And I am not particularly down with xdarwin...I would really like to avoid. any other ideas?

The Dude
Banned
Jul 31, 2002, 02:09 AM

Photoshop Elements 2 might work...I know it's good for basic photo work...I have NO clue about text manipulation though.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2002, 02:10 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
<strong>thanks for the reply...BBedit wasn't what I was looking for at all. And I am not particularly down with xdarwin...I would really like to avoid. any other ideas?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">As I said, GraphicConverter might be sufficient for your needs. You can also try poking around <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/graphics" target="_blank">VersionTracker</a> for something that suits your needs.

BG
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 02:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by The Dude:
<strong>Photoshop Elements 2 might work...I know it's good for basic photo work...I have NO clue about text manipulation though.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">This isn't out yet, is it?

MemeTransport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2002, 03:12 AM

GraphicConverter won't do the types of effects mentioned.

A good all 'round app that will is Canvas. You can download a demo.

<a href="http://www.deneba.com/products/canvas8/default2.html" target="_blank">Here's the Deneba Page</a>

Canvas has some of the most flexible filter effects I've ever seen. You can apply lens effects to pixel-based imagery as well as vector and text and do it seemlessly.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2002, 03:20 AM

You may want to have a look at TIFFany 3, it's considerably cheaper than Photoshop.

Personally, I use the GIMP. I find it's pretty close to Photoshop. (Alright, maybe not for print work but good enough for everything else. The downside is that you won't be able to use your OS X fonts in it. I tend to type in Graphic Converter or iDraw, and just do the fancy stuff in the Gimp. Not perfect, but hey it's free!) Installation is really quite easy.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2002, 06:18 AM

Have you looked into <a href="http://www.typestyler.com/" target="_blank">TypeStyler</a>? Does all the text stuff you could ever want but doesn't do images. However it doesn't appear to OS Xified yet...

Wesley

<small>[ 07-31-2002, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: WJMoore ]</small>

AU_student_iceBook  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 11:46 AM

Thanks for all your info everyone...I will be trying a couple things out.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2002, 12:07 PM

GraphicConverter can use Photoshop filters. You just need to find shareware versions of the effects you want.

BBEdit is just a text editor (think ascii files), though an excellent one at that.

You might get a better response posting in the OS X Software forum.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2002, 12:17 PM

If you are brave I would recommend installing XDarwin, OroborOSX, and GIMP. Using OroborOSX it makes the X11 environment look and act almost identical to the Aqua environment. YOu can even minimize windows to the Dock. It makes GIMP look like a real OS X app...and its fast too with loads of features.

sure you dont want photoshop or photoshop elements?
Amazon is offering a $40 rebate on Elements right now. Good price. If I hadn't already shelled out the moolah for Photoshop 7 I would snatch it up.

<small>[ 07-31-2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: dwishbone ]</small>
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2002, 12:19 PM

Since you are a college student yourself, you could get Photoshop at a discount price. I got it for 300 bucks which isn't bad for a powerful software like Photoshop. But there's always Photoshop Elements. I doubt it will be out anytime soon this year though.

calle73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2002, 01:03 PM

I've just started to use Arcsoft Photostudio and I think its an excellent app!!!
It has multiple layers, multiple undos, dropshadows, excellent selection tools and loads more!!!

Check it out at <a href="http://www.arcsoft.com" target="_blank">www.arcsoft.com</a>

Forum Links
Forum Rules