Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Here's why Jaguar is SO MUCH faster on the desktop!

Here's why Jaguar is SO MUCH faster on the desktop!
747spx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 02:37 AM

http://www.opengl.org/developers/cod...graph2002_bof/

This contains PDF's of all the new extensions for Jaguar. A HUGE addition indeed! Proving the desktop will now be FINALLY!! fully rendered as vectors in real time hence the utilization of 3D cards etc..

Makes fascinating reading. Also diagrams showing FULL hardware acceleration in 10.2 which DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAPPEN IN 10.1.....etc.

Obviously 10.2 will re-draw on-screen images MUCH faster using this technology.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by 747spx:
http://www.opengl.org/developers/cod...graph2002_bof/

This contains PDF's of all the new extensions for Jaguar. A HUGE addition indeed! Proving the desktop will now be FINALLY!! fully rendered as vectors in real time hence the utilization of 3D cards etc..

Makes fascinating reading. Also diagrams showing FULL hardware acceleration in 10.2 which DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAPPEN IN 10.1.....etc.

Obviously 10.2 will re-draw on-screen images MUCH faster using this technology.
wait wait wait.

Isn't this old news? Quartz Extreme? The entire UI pumped through OpenGL to make it faster. Is that what you're talking about? If so, its been public since about Mid May. I'm not sure what you're talking about if it isn't QE.

747spx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:

wait wait wait.

Isn't this old news? Quartz Extreme? The entire UI pumped through OpenGL to make it faster. Is that what you're talking about? If so, its been public since about Mid May. I'm not sure what you're talking about if it isn't QE.
It is indeed EXCEPT these PDF's explain it all in layman's terms and PROVE that the desktop is now ALL rendered in 3D vectors on the fly.

I hadn't seen this info before. Take a look at the PDF's. ))

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 03:32 AM

I think I hear a dingo eating your baby

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2002, 03:42 AM

I personally wouldn't get TOO EXCITED!!; although there will be rather large speed improvements for some things, others (which bypass Quartz) won't be much faster. I'd recommend trying Jaguar before getting too happy; with that said, I was happy to see an easy-to-read explanation of Quartz Extreme.

As for the whole dingo baby-eating thing, as a person who was born in NZ, I can happily laugh along. And because no-one knows anything about NZ, only Aussies will be able to think of anything clever to say .

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 04:17 AM

Well how about the Australian national IQ test last night ?

New Zealanders dumber than blondes. Damn that can't be a good thing

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by naden:
Well how about the Australian national IQ test last night ?

New Zealanders dumber than blondes. Damn that can't be a good thing
I wouldn't be too sure. As soon as I saw the New Zealanders I though "Oh God. What dip*****". They probably went around youth hostels waving packets of cigarettes waiting for the dumbasses to come . But, I hardly watched any--gotta love cable TV (Fox 8, most of all ).

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 08:26 AM

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

postcount++

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 08:29 AM

actually, i feel an apology is in order. sorry about the sarcasm there, but the search function is your friend. the redudency (sp?) in the forum is castrophic (well, in terms of server load... hell, they won't even let you do more that 1 search every 30 seconds to save server load/bandwidh).

postcount++

Forum Links
Forum Rules