Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Problems uploading mdb file from Mac??

Problems uploading mdb file from Mac??
McBear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2002, 10:28 AM

<B>Hi all! Another question from a friend (pogoartist), he's registered but is waiting for activation so I said I'd post this for him...</B>

Having problems uploading a mdb file to my windows server so that i can get a forum working on one of my sites.

I tried connecting to a database using the following piece of code:
<I>
sConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & sDir & "forum.mdb"

set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
set cmd = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
'conn.mode = 3
conn.open sConnString
set cmd.activeconnection = conn
</I>
The following error occurs
<I>
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e4d'

Not a valid password.

/DiscussionForum/database.inc, line 20
</I>
I have done a search on this error and i found someone with the exactly thesame error, regarding connection problems to an access db via ASP, this is the reply i got:
<I>
"This makes no sense to me, but it seemed to fix the problem. As long as my database never touched a Mac, it worked fine on the web. The problem existed every time I uploaded from my Mac (even if I didn't try to open it or tried uploading directly from a CD), but as soon as I uploaded directly from a PC, no problem.
Don't know the underlying cause but a fix is there if you have access to a PC."
</I>
What on earth is going on here, can anyone help

kind regards

Pogoartist

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 6, 2002, 02:12 PM

did you upload it in binary, or ascii? these things have to be uploaded in binary... right?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

pogoartist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
did you upload it in binary, or ascii? these things have to be uploaded in binary... right?
uploaded it in binary ... didn't work... so tried it automatic and still no joy.... hmmmmmmmmmmm ........puzzling

ttjervaag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 05:13 AM

Are you sure it got completely uploaded? I use an Access database for my site and I have not been able to upload it in any way (Fetch automatic, binary, ascii whatever.. terminal ftp with binary, ascii). It starts up, uploads for a couple of seconds and then just stops.
What I do is upload it from a Windows pc (at work). Really strange, since all other files seem to work fine.

Terje

-- EDIT : --
I use Virtual PC with Access to edit the file by the way and that works fine. It's the uploading bit that kills it.

pogoartist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 10:13 AM

totally sure it was uploaded and yes i know its works fine through a pc but why not a mac?... puzzling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules