Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar - Come one!

Jaguar - Come one!
spdemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 11:14 AM

I can not believe the huge number of people ranting and raving about the problems in Jaguar. Nearly all of you are running unauthorized versions, and no your "friend" at Apple handing you a copy does not authorize your use.

Chill out and relax for a couple of weeks until the real deal is released. Your rants about NDA covered prerelease software only adds to the general negative attitudes that some take towards Apple and OS X. Once the real deal is released you can then get down to business picking it to pieces.

Sorry for the tone but this is getting old. Rants about some favorite feature not working or the machine crashing 5 times a day are pointless. Maybe you should not install prerelease software on a machine that is for producttion use. Apple warns you and if you did not get the warning then you probably are not supposed to have the software in the first place.

Also if you do have the legitimate right to use it then your first stop had better be Apple's bug reporting and not MacNN.

* now dawning flame proof suit and entering bunker *

Cheers.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 11:16 AM

Hear hear! He speaks with wisdom beyond his postcount.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by spdemac:
I can not believe the huge number of people ranting and raving about the problems in Jaguar. Nearly all of you are running unauthorized versions, and no your "friend" at Apple handing you a copy does not authorize your use.

Chill out and relax for a couple of weeks until the real deal is released. Your rants about NDA covered prerelease software only adds to the general negative attitudes that some take towards Apple and OS X. Once the real deal is released you can then get down to business picking it to pieces.

Sorry for the tone but this is getting old. Rants about some favorite feature not working or the machine crashing 5 times a day are pointless. Maybe you should not install prerelease software on a machine that is for producttion use. Apple warns you and if you did not get the warning then you probably are not supposed to have the software in the first place.

Also if you do have the legitimate right to use it then your first stop had better be Apple's bug reporting and not MacNN.

* now dawning flame proof suit and entering bunker *

Cheers.
Not sure what you mean by the negative attitudes towards Apple. They don't need people that to come up with Negative attitudes towards Apple and OS X most of there negative attitudes are of ignorance of Apple
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

spdemac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Hear hear! He speaks with wisdom beyond his postcount.
I try to only post once a quarter.

ppp
Aug 9, 2002, 04:41 PM

I've been told at another forum that what I said was a bit rich for a "junior member." Of course I was right at the end. But isn't it a bit sad to be proud of how many posts you have on a silly message board?!?!

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 04:47 PM

<snip>
One of the few intelligent things I've read here...

maroma
Aug 9, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by ppp:
I've been told at another forum that what I said was a bit rich for a "junior member." Of course I was right at the end. But isn't it a bit sad to be proud of how many posts you have on a silly message board?!?!
It's more than sad, it's idiotic. And the people who base their opinions on someone based on their post count are even more so.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by maroma:

It's more than sad, it's idiotic. And the people who base their opinions on someone based on their post count are even more so.
Sadder still is that most of my posts are futile, repetitive attempts to convince people that:

1. 4K78 was the GM of 10.0;
2. 5G64 was the GM of 10.1;
3. 6C115 is the GM of 10.2;
4. Each build number is associated with one, and only one, build;
5. Apple doesn't have secret "non-debug" builds waiting in the wings, with the same build numbers, and (miraculously) the same MD5 checksum, going against every tenet of software design and engineering, all designed to fool people in the MacNN forums.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2002, 05:02 PM

Usually a low post count indicates a newbie of sorts, atleast to the boards. Newbies have a tendency to post somewhat poorly worded questions or not following proper forum etiquet (although the same can be said for plenty of the "Addicted to Macnn" guys).

Also, sometimes new people are really trolls or flamers, so they can sometimes be overlooked on purpose.

Ultimately, everyone deserves the same respect, but until you get your feet wet a little more, you'll still be seen as a newbie.

Matt Fahrenbacher

spdemac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 05:09 PM

I for one never take post counts seriously. They usually simply imply the the poster has a lot more free time then I do, or has had their statistics updated in a mysql database table.

The post count is a bit inaccurate since anyone can have multiple accounts and reset the count just by open a new one. So those that automatically devalue posts based on post counts should try reading the posts first.

Anyway the diatribes of Jaguar bashers continue and I guess i will have to return to stealth mode until something more interesting surfaces on these boards.

I for one appreciate the comments of all and especially appreciate non-anonymous posts like Matt's.

Cheers,
Lon Baker

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 05:45 PM

spdemac, the problem with your post is that WE ARE USING THE FINAL, GOLDEN FREAKING MASTER COPY OF JAGUAR. Just because it hasn't been released "officially" doesn't mean we don't have it. Besides, it's fun to pick apart what apple is doing and see the progress. I for one think that 6c115 (THE FINAL GOLD FREAKING MASTER) is a great OS, with very very few problems (far less than the migration from 10.0 to 10.1).

If you don't want to read the posts about jaguar because it's "not out yet", THEN DONT READ THEM. How hard is that?
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

spdemac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by billybob:
spdemac, the problem with your post is that WE ARE USING THE FINAL, GOLDEN FREAKING MASTER COPY OF JAGUAR. Just because it hasn't been released "officially" doesn't mean we don't have it. Besides, it's fun to pick apart what apple is doing and see the progress. I for one think that 6c115 (THE FINAL GOLD FREAKING MASTER) is a great OS, with very very few problems (far less than the migration from 10.0 to 10.1).

If you don't want to read the posts about jaguar because it's "not out yet", THEN DONT READ THEM. How hard is that?
So you know for a FACT that this is the GM that you will receive in a little over 2 weeks? Just curious on how you know this? I for one have found over 5 major bugs in 6C115 and have reported it as a developer. That is not to say a new build will happen but I will nto be surprised if they gto a few more out before it went to duplication.

I have no problem with not reading posts, but just like everyone else here I have things to say and contribute.

It is just a bit ironic that everyone is jumping all over Jaguar here, using "illegal", pre-release versions, filling up the forums with this is great, that sucks, it crashes my computer, etc. The general concensus seems to be that Apple needs to take more time and get it right, but we want it now! (or else the pirating would not be so blatant) Oh and we do not want to pay for it either but please put more resources into the effort Apple.

What do I know? nothing much, except I am a paying developer that gets legitimate seeds which are getting harder to obtain since the pirating has grown so blatant. Also isn't the MacNN policy to lock any thread related to pirated software?

I am not saying this about you billybob in particular, I too agree that this will be a smoking hot update for OS X. But after days of this general sentiment I felt I wanted to throw my 2� in.

** the cop waves ... move along there is nothing to see here you are holding up traffic **

Cheers,
Lon Baker

Deicide
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 06:24 PM

piracy:

For some reason I allways took your posts as the final word on anything related to MacOS X releases. Once 10.0 was released it confirmed that you knew what you're talking about. You would think after 3 releases that people would start to catch on and listen to you.

exu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 04:29 AM

oh my goodness look at my post count. i suppose this means i know very little about macs or correct internet ettique. I hope i do not get fired from my mac related job. :-(

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2002, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by piracy:

Sadder still is that most of my posts are futile, repetitive attempts to convince people that:

5. Apple doesn't have secret "non-debug" builds waiting in the wings, with the same build numbers, and (miraculously) the same MD5 checksum, going against every tenet of software design and engineering, all designed to fool people in the MacNN forums.
the bottom line. all these stoopid 6C115 threads need to be ****ing locked already.

ppp
Aug 10, 2002, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by exu:
oh my goodness look at my post count. i suppose this means i know very little about macs or correct internet ettique. I hope i do not get fired from my mac related job. :-(
LOL... Imagine the boss, with a worried look on his face, stopping by your desk, saying, "Can I have a word with you? In my office. Jane, don't put through any calls now."

"So, exu, you've been great, really great. But unfortunately, this has come to our knowledge. Can you comment on this?"

(Opens browser, follows bookmark to exu's profile.)

"I suppose that's...?"

"Yeah," you say, "that's me."

"You understand that one of our job requirements was a MacNN post count of at least 500, right?"

"Yes, but I can explain! It was a database crash... And I have another account..."

"Sorry. We just have to let you go."

Oh, sorry if I was off-topic. Couldn't help responding to the fast that at least something funny has come out of this thread.

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 04:37 PM

Hear hear.

The Jaguar that people are complaining about is the exact same Jaguar I might be complaining about come the 24th. Now if one feels that there is too much complaining overall, that's a different issue. But 6C115 doesn't magically degrade itself if the build is not installed legally, although this seems to be a surprisingly common myth.

exu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by ppp:

LOL... Imagine the boss, with a worried look on his face, stopping by your desk, saying, "Can I have a word with you? In my office. Jane, don't put through any calls now."

"So, exu, you've been great, really great. But unfortunately, this has come to our knowledge. Can you comment on this?"

(Opens browser, follows bookmark to exu's profile.)

"I suppose that's...?"

"Yeah," you say, "that's me."

"You understand that one of our job requirements was a MacNN post count of at least 500, right?"

"Yes, but I can explain! It was a database crash... And I have another account..."

"Sorry. We just have to let you go."

Oh, sorry if I was off-topic. Couldn't help responding to the fast that at least something funny has come out of this thread.

ppp i hope you are not psychic. eeeeek!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 06:29 PM

How hard is it to take apart the OS and put 6C115 in SystemVersion.plist & SystemVersion.strings, recompress it and shove it in the 10.2 6B46 freakin release? You act like it's not possible to do this and some person trying to confuse people (or being a jackass) distributed this on Carracho and people are like "Oh! I have the Final Release and it sucks!" just because it says final release does not make it final release because pirated software can be tampered with.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2002, 06:57 PM

I don't know why anyone even bothers anymore. Like somoene else said, piracy has been right every single time. Listen to him. He has nothing to gain by lying to us, he knows what's up.

You'll all be proved wrong when August 24 rolls around. Just like with 10.0 and just like with 10.1. These arguments are moronic and I wish everyone wouuld just STFU and accept the fact that we have the GM and it's a damn fine OS.

Just because I have it now means I won't pay for it? I don't remember saying that.

PS: What does "come one" mean anyways?
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Marook
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2002, 07:23 PM

Hmm,

1: Post counts: It's funny, that I have so small a postcount, compared to my 'been around since' date. Maybe I just don't like to make a comment to Every post on the board... I don't give a **** for your post count, since they are most likely silly replys that has no actual useful content...

2: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT all the time, just to MAKE US BELIVE that a given build is a FC or GM??? And you try to lecture US about etiquet??? He...

3: While a given build that's floating around da 'net might be a FC or GM, I think it's silly to make THAT many replys every time someone has an argument for it not to be... Hey, WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME, so please relax and calm down. Besides, with an alias like 'piracy', do you REALLY expect us to take you THAT serious? Think again...
Also, if you Really know something, like if you work at Apple, you would keep you mouth shut, and let the others talk nice and easy. People shouting like that, can only be guessing.

So, could we all be calm, and agree that 6C115 was seeded to ADC members as a Developer build, and we will just have to see at aug. 24 what is released! It's the known, public, facts and it's something we all can comprehend.

Cheers,
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2002, 09:53 PM

My post count is bigger than yours!

-Proof most of MY post count is silly stuff-

Post counts don't matter, they are for fun, some make too big a deal bout em.

-Owl

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Post counts don't matter, they are for fun, some make too big a deal bout em.

The stupidest part is that I've NEVER seen anyone make a big deal about post counts but sure have seen a lot of people make a big deal about their perception that someone else is making a big deal about post counts.

As an example reread this idiotic thread. The second poster gave the first a nice compliment on what he said that contained the words 'post count' and then other guys flip out like freaking 2-year-olds about how post counts don't matter and they're just as good as someone with a big one, and size doesn't matter and all that carp. Jezuz, if you're that insecure about your post count why don't you just post more? Or learn to accept your lack of posting? Or get away from the computer once a day and talk to people that don't even know what a post count is?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

exu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 11:57 PM

one more post

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 12:07 AM

I just had to get my post count on this thread. I don't remember how many I have now.

Felt like I needed to post here quickly before this thread gets locked. Are those keys I hear rattling?

LOCK!!!!

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by ryarber:
I just had to get my post count on this thread. I don't remember how many I have now.

Felt like I needed to post here quickly before this thread gets locked. Are those keys I hear rattling?

LOCK!!!!
Drats... Still a Junior Member. Maybe by posting stupid things like this, I'll work my way up. You would've thought in 2 years, I'd have had more stupid things to say.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Marook:
Hmm,

1: Post counts: It's funny, that I have so small a postcount, compared to my 'been around since' date. Maybe I just don't like to make a comment to Every post on the board... I don't give a **** for your post count, since they are most likely silly replys that has no actual useful content...

2: WHY DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT all the time, just to MAKE US BELIVE that a given build is a FC or GM??? And you try to lecture US about etiquet??? He...

3: While a given build that's floating around da 'net might be a FC or GM, I think it's silly to make THAT many replys every time someone has an argument for it not to be... Hey, WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME, so please relax and calm down. Besides, with an alias like 'piracy', do you REALLY expect us to take you THAT serious? Think again...
Also, if you Really know something, like if you work at Apple, you would keep you mouth shut, and let the others talk nice and easy. People shouting like that, can only be guessing.

So, could we all be calm, and agree that 6C115 was seeded to ADC members as a Developer build, and we will just have to see at aug. 24 what is released! It's the known, public, facts and it's something we all can comprehend.

Cheers,
Actually, my nickname was chosen originally, off-the-cuff, as a protest to piracy. The nickname stuck. (You'd know this had you been around for the 4K78 and 5G64 fiascos).

And actually - though you certainly have no way of knowing this, I agree - I'm not guessing. I SHOUT because I've had to repeat myself FOUR MILLION TIMES, even when the opposition has been categorically PROVEN WRONG. You'd shout too, if you had to repeat yourself as much. (And I lectured no one about etiquette.)

Overall though, your words hit the point right on. However, whenever someone posts innaccurate information (e.g., "6C115 is not GM"), I will have to counter it. No, you have no way of knowing what is, or is not, the truth. In my case, though, you do have my track record...and the track record of others who have been proven wrong countless times. So either I'm a really good guesser, or I know what I'm talking about. It's up to you what to believe.
( Last edited by piracy; Aug 11, 2002 at 01:34 AM. )

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 01:09 AM

ive been on of the wrong ones (during K78), ive taked to piracy many times and he knows his stuff

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 01:52 AM

I'm now running Windoze OS 93.2 build GM87 according to my About This Mac box. Ah the glory of OS X, If you can see it, it most likely can be changed somehow.

This has been an educational trip into the glory of /System/Library/

blah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Usually a low post count indicates a newbie of sorts, atleast to the boards. Newbies have a tendency to post somewhat poorly worded questions or not following proper forum etiquet (although the same can be said for plenty of the "Addicted to Macnn" guys).

Also, sometimes new people are really trolls or flamers, so they can sometimes be overlooked on purpose.

Ultimately, everyone deserves the same respect, but until you get your feet wet a little more, you'll still be seen as a newbie.

Matt Fahrenbacher
WHERE CAN I GET JAGUAR ?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

BLAH

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 04:10 AM

Amazon.com
Apple.com

any Apple store.

You should be able to pre-order from any of these listed, or a number of other Mac related websites/stores.

Or you could pay $1000 to become a Apple Developer, and you get access to the latest seeds (though from a previous post it seems that is becoming more difficult)

Lots of options.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 04:40 AM

Hey Adam (betts),
Can you do an about box that shows that 6c115 is Not GM, just for a laugh. I'll bet some troll picks up on it ( Hi Kelly).
Seriously I would have to agree with the above posts Piracy really knows his stuff, so if he says its GM then take it to the bank. And a final word on the price of 10.2, get over it! I work for a large government org and we get special Micro$oft deals on software, it cots us over $500AUS to upgrade from 98 to XP Pro. Now thats steep. The funny thing is that none of the DOS clowns that I deal with complain about this.

Marook
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2002, 06:49 AM

Actually, my nickname was chosen originally, off-the-cuff, as a protest to piracy. The nickname stuck. (You'd know this had you been around for the 4K78 and 5G64 fiascos).

And actually - though you certainly have no way of knowing this, I agree - I'm not guessing. I SHOUT because I've had to repeat myself FOUR MILLION TIMES, even when the opposition has been categorically PROVEN WRONG. You'd shout too, if you had to repeat yourself as much. (And I lectured no one about etiquette.)

Overall though, your words hit the point right on. However, whenever someone posts innaccurate information (e.g., "6C115 is not GM"), I will have to counter it. No, you have no way of knowing what is, or is not, the truth. In my case, though, you do have my track record...and the track record of others who have been proven wrong countless times. So either I'm a really good guesser, or I know what I'm talking about. It's up to you what to believe.
Ok, cudos to you. As you can see, I'v been around for a long time, though I might not have participated in the discussions about the former builds of OS X. As my post count might indicate, I read a lot but only post when I think I have something valuable to contribute to the discussion. I hope the quality of the content is helping my reputation, not my P.C.

If I where you, I would (and I do) just keep silent and laugh of the people that don't have the knowlegde you are in reach of. It's just like driving a cool car down the main bouleward: driving nice and easy, without reaching speed limits makes the car much cooler, and people respect you a lot more, that if you hit the nail and drive to fast.

If you have a temper, and get upset by people not wanting to know, count to 10, have a cold coke(or what ever), and enjoy your way of knowing the correct things.
In short: shouting does Not make things better, either in this forum, or in general.

Hope you all get the point, now back to the discussion...
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 01:10 PM

6C116! OMG! THE WORLD'S COMING TO AN END!

This image has not been photoshopped.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
6C116! OMG! THE WORLD'S COMING TO AN END!

This image has not been photoshopped.
Yeah, we can all change /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

(And in case this isn't just a troll, or someone else believes it, there are NO BUILDS - even at Apple - beyond 6C115 at this time. Yes, of course work on Jaguar continues but nothing has been built beyond 6C115 as of this writing.)

For the record, anything anyone sees beyond 6C115 is fake (just like 4K83).

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2002, 02:29 PM

spdemac,
Lest you forget that Apple doesn't have a forum for developers. Reporting bugs is a one-way trip. Whether it's right or wrong for MacNN to allow people to talk about it is another discussion, but I'm an ADC member and it makes me sick that Micrsoft has a forum for MSDN members, but Apple DOES NOT.

So, think before you type. Your ideas might be in the right place, but there's nowhere for even legit members to talk about Jag.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2002, 02:32 PM

Why do you feel you HAVE to respond? You're only shouting because you feel you HAVE to. Who's putting a gun to your head? THe problem is that your need for helping is getting in the way of your patience.

Mike

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by starman:
spdemac,
Lest you forget that Apple doesn't have a forum for developers. Reporting bugs is a one-way trip. Whether it's right or wrong for MacNN to allow people to talk about it is another discussion, but I'm an ADC member and it makes me sick that Micrsoft has a forum for MSDN members, but Apple DOES NOT.

So, think before you type. Your ideas might be in the right place, but there's nowhere for even legit members to talk about Jag.

Mike
Apple Software Engineering's Customer Seeding group (also known as AppleSeed, http://appleseed.apple.com/) does have a forum to discuss seeded prerelease software.

I do agree, though, that ADC should have such forums. To say nothing of the fact that MSDN is much more comprehensive than ADC as well... I've long argued for more comprehensive services via ADC. Perhaps folks then wouldn't have to resort to other channels.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2002, 02:40 PM

Yeah, remember AppleLink? Whatever happened to that? I thought we were supposed to get a web-based Applelink-type system in place?

It never happened.

Mike

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 02:44 PM

Why do you feel you HAVE to respond? You're only shouting because you feel you HAVE to. Who's putting a gun to your head? THe problem is that your need for helping is getting in the way of your patience.

Mike
This all started relatively benignly with 4K78. 4K78 then got way out of hand, and we still have people who believe - to this day - that when their erroneous belief in 4K83 was crushed, that there MUST then be multiple versions of 4K78. And when it was proven that the two 4K78 discs in question (the Developer RC and the retail boxed 10.0) were actually bit-for-bit identical and had the same MD5 checksums, people then ignored that proof and still insisted that somehow, multiple, perhaps even dozens, of 4K78's existed.

I can imagine the same thing happening with 6C115. I suppose the upshot of all this is that if people really are concerned, they should only install from the final retail CD regardless.

(One thing I've actually considered is that since Apple delivered 6C115 electronically, if they've mastered the retail CD from a slightly differently formatted master, the images may not have the same checksum. I can only imagine the theories that will raise...)

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 02:48 PM

Yeah, remember AppleLink? Whatever happened to that? I thought we were supposed to get a web-based Applelink-type system in place?

It never happened.

Mike
All those services were supposed to be delivered by eWorld, which was to have protected forums and other members-only type services. It never came to fruition on eWorld, and was then supposed to be delivered via the web. It could certainly be easily done with Apple's existing Web Crossing-based forum infrastructure, but hasn't been too high on anyone's radar...

Speaking of Radar, it sure used to be nice for end-customer developers to be able to log directly into Radar to see the status of bugs, even ones not originated by them... Of course a small minority of people with Radar access took things and blew them out of proportion.

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2002, 10:13 PM

So you know for a FACT that this is the GM that you will receive in a little over 2 weeks? Just curious on how you know this? I for one have found over 5 major bugs in 6C115 and have reported it as a developer. That is not to say a new build will happen but I will nto be surprised if they gto a few more out before it went to duplication.

Some things that are sometimes missed in these silly arguments..

OS X is immensely complex software. There are very few people in the world who have comprehensive knowledge of all aspects of it. I'd be surprised if there aren't a few bugs.

At least one Apple employee has spent, by his own choice, his last two whole weekends investigating and reporting bugs in 10.2. He was online with me the whole of Saturday evening investigating a bug a friend and I had discovered with Mail.app, which turns out to be a problem with Windows 2000-based mail servers and Rendesvous.

My point is though, along with what spdemac says, most people who bitch and moan about problems with Mac OS are people who have no clue about the incredible effort put in by people at Apple to create this software in the first place, and then work their butts off to maintain that level of quality with updates.

I'll probably have a low post count on forums for some time, as I don't see any point in "arguing with fools", though if I can contribute something I feel might be useful, then I'm glad to be able to do so

I can see why piracy gets pissed off at people on here who simply wont listen, as, just like the rest of the internet, this place has gone from people mostly posting useful comments, to a forum of wafflers and "I'm right, you're wrong" wingers who do little more than just waste bandwidth, contributing nothing constructive.

Sorry if all that sounded excessively harsh, I still see many intelligent people posting here I hope Apple continues the incredible work they have done with Mac OS X. I can happily say I've already paid for it.

Currawong

LudwigVan123
Aug 11, 2002, 11:25 PM

PS: What does "come one" mean anyways?
I believe it's supposed to be "Come on" with an erroneous "e" caboose attached.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2002, 01:08 AM

My point is though, along with what spdemac says, most people who bitch and moan about problems with Mac OS are people who have no clue about the incredible effort put in by people at Apple to create this software in the first place, and then work their butts off to maintain that level of quality with updates.
Or....

Those are the same people that will be spending $129 on something expecting it to WORK.

I'd hate to buy a car that had a known flaw in the drive train.

Mike

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2002, 06:16 PM

"How hard is it to take apart the OS and put 6C115 in SystemVersion.plist & SystemVersion.strings, recompress it and shove it in the 10.2 6B46 freakin release?"

Not hard. The tricky part is doing it and somehow making the disk image end up with the same checksum as the real version...

dillerX
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Currawong:

Sorry if all that sounded excessively harsh, I still see many intelligent people posting here I hope Apple continues the incredible work they have done with Mac OS X. I can happily say I've already paid for it.

Currawong
Not harsh, and I second your comments. I for one have enjoyed watching this OS progress, and I have 4 people in my family that have "switched" to the platform due to their love of the software.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules