Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Since there is no networking forum...

Since there is no networking forum...
fobside
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 05:35 PM

I'm setting up wireless network for my parents. They're getting cable modem next week and they have two computers and don't want to run wires. They don't own any Apple computers, but I have a Ti PowerBook. I believe I'm going to go with the Netgear MR314 wireless access point/router. My parents need a PCI card for one of their machines. D-Link seems to be the cheapest but I have heard horror stories about them. Does anyone have any recommendations? Price is somewhat of an issue, but don't let that prevent you from posting your recommendations.

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2002, 06:06 PM

why do you want to go wireless? It's been my experience that running cat5 isn't as bad as you would think, and much faster/more secure.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 07:32 PM

networking topics have started collecting in peripherals. moving there

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by jarends:
why do you want to go wireless? It's been my experience that running cat5 isn't as bad as you would think, and much faster/more secure.
My parents don't want to run wires.

Forum Links
Forum Rules