Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Which VPC do we need

Which VPC do we need
wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 06:44 PM

My wife will be starting as a nursing instructor with a university in Montana that only use PC. Which VPC pack should I get so that all base will be covered.
Thanks
G4 800 DP
G3 400 Pismo
Office v.x/ Adobe PS 7/ Acrobat 5
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2002, 06:54 PM

virtual pc?

well, you want one with windows, unless you already have a copy of windows in which case you can install it yourself. Otherwise I'd bet that most faculty use windows 98, and vpc works great with 98, so i'd go that route (i think it's like 200 bucks or so).

be warned, its pretty pokey in osx, theyre still working out issues. but it's fantastic in os9.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 02:42 PM

I would recommend Windows 2000. It is similar in some ways to 98, but it is a professional-line product rather than part of the older consumer series, so it is more reliable and more modern.

I tried to install XP on VPC once. It was so large that it trashed my whole computer (not just the virtual machine).

rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 03:38 PM

Virtual PC 5.02 for OS X with the Win XP pack was VERY sluggish on my dual 800 Gz PowerMac until I assigned it with with 256 Mb RAM and changed the theme from Luna to standard Windows. After I did that, the speed became so much more acceptable, more like the 5 year old PCs running Win 2000 in my workplace.

Forum Links
Forum Rules