Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X.2 server or Win Y2K server

OS X.2 server or Win Y2K server
reddwarfsmeghead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2002, 08:43 AM

The school I work for is about to invest in a new server, they want Win Y2K and I want Mac OS X server.

Does any body know of any good sources of feature comparisons for both OS's?

OR to answer my main problems, can OS X server store and serve up windows profiles?

Teachers need to have access to their personal information such as mail and reporting software, from any terminal. This can currently be done by logging onto a windoze domain but I would love not to have a windoze server.

The school currently has a 2:1 Mac to windows ratio and I would like to keep it that way.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Stephen

utidjian
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by reddwarfsmeghead:
The school I work for is about to invest in a new server, they want Win Y2K and I want Mac OS X server.

Does any body know of any good sources of feature comparisons for both OS's?

OR to answer my main problems, can OS X server store and serve up windows profiles?

Teachers need to have access to their personal information such as mail and reporting software, from any terminal. This can currently be done by logging onto a windoze domain but I would love not to have a windoze server.

The school currently has a 2:1 Mac to windows ratio and I would like to keep it that way.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Stephen
Well if the system already has Windows servers... and already has Mac servers... do they need a "new" server? Presumably they are already running services for the Windows clients from W2K/NT servers, yes? If they already have the setup and expertise they might as well stick with it.

The only real advantage the Mac OS X server can offer is cheaper licensing cost. For the price of OS X server you can have unlimited clients of any type connected to it. If they use W2K server they will have to pay for each client that connects. Find out the dollar amount for client licenses.... compare that with the OS and other software costs on the X server.

Mac OS X server can serve as PDC for a Windows domain via Samba (http://www.samba.org ).

If your organization is running MS-Exchange server then you will have a different problem. Your best bet is to run it on W2K or to use one of the Linux ports of Exchange. They are not really ports but workalikes.

If you are just serving files... including Windows profiles... just use OS X server and Samba.
-DU-...etc...

Forum Links
Forum Rules