Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone get Airport Internet Sharing to work in 10.2? Not me :(

Anyone get Airport Internet Sharing to work in 10.2? Not me :(
JeremyS
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 04:55 PM

I haven't been able to get Airport Internet Sharing in 10.2 (Software Base Station), I create the network the other computer sees it and joins it.

Then on the broadcasting computer I click Internet sharing ON and it doesn't turn on!!

Anyone get this? If I click the button nothing changes it still says "Internet Sharing Off"

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 05:59 PM

Did you do custom install of 10.2? I did and had the same problem. If so, go back to the 10.2 CD and install the BSD subsystem (one of the optional installs); even though it says install if you are a developer. Apparently it's needed for internet sharing. I installed on both machines but it may not be needed on both machines. Then make sure Firewall is off, and airport is set in network connections on both machines to DHCP. Should work. Good luck!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 06:13 PM

Try again, but this time don't create a computer-to-computer network first. The internet sharing takes that over.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 06:41 PM

Thanks Tommy, that BSD subsytem thing worked! well almost...

Now I can turn Internet Sharing on.

When I turn it on and then join to the airport network on the recieving mac it joins but when I go to open a webpage it just continously says "Sending Request", which is better than before because it used to just give me a connection error right away.

So I am almost there, any idea why it won't load a webpage, I have tried a bunch of different ones to make sure it's not just the one site.

By the way I am using ADSL with DHCP if that helps any.

Here are the settings on the recieving computer:

IP: 10.0.2.2 (provided by DHCP server)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 10.0.2.1

Thanks for any help!

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 06:51 PM

Are you connecting to the "internet sharing" airport connection? On the host computer, internet sharing pane, airport options button, create a new network. Your host computer's airport icon should now be a arrow pointing up. Connect to this airport network on the receiving computer. Make sure to use a new name, I've had problems in the past repeating the name of a previous computer-computer network. Make sire firewalls are off. Let me know if that helps.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 06:54 PM

Just rebooted and it did load apple.com but very slow and only half way, then I tried another and nothing.

Tried the sending mac and the internet is blazin fast!

I had this problem when I first setup my ADSL connection and had to register my MAC address and IP or something and that fixed it.

Since I do have a second IP available through my ISP would I have use that and then register the MAC address or should any of that not be needed for this?

and I did try a new name etc.

It's weird, if I type say apple.com the title will show at the top of the browser window like it loaded it but no page will show up.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 07:04 PM

Ok rebooted again, it now works, weird.

BUT one last problem!

On the sending mac, when I reboot the airport network is not automactically started, I have to go into Sharing and start it again.

Isn't there a way to make it always start it?

I even had it locked.

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 07:06 PM

Weird. I had the same "slow internet connection" this morning when I set it up. Tested it with webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth and was slower on receiving computer than host computer. Didn't do anything today and it sped up. Retesting now, bandwidth on both machines is the same. Have you tried rebooting your host computer? Almost seems like there is some delay within the software limiting bandwidth.

Tom

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 07:08 PM

I do not know of an auto feature to start connection on reboot. looks to be manual.

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 07:13 PM

Really?

Well anyone know if an Applescript or something could be used to auto-start internet sharing on Login?

That seems weird to me that it would have to be manual.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 07:39 PM

just tried it on an iBook sending, Ti recieving,

first, for some reason, the iBook has the extra BSD thing installed(all i did was an regualr auto install)...the Ti does not...if i select the Ti to share, no options show up at the bottom, if i select the iBook, i can go into airport options etc for sharing.

i set the ip of the host to 10.0.1.1
and the client to .2
then set the client router to 10.0.1.1

now, for some reason, it seems that Apple.com will load...but nothing else...
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Aug 26, 2002 at 02:38 AM. )

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by solidage:
just tried it on an iBook sending, Ti recieving,

first, for some reason, the iBook has the extra BSD thing installed(all i did was an regualr auto install)...the Ti does not...if i select the Ti to share, no options show up at the bottom, if i select the iBook, i can go into airport options etc for sharing.

i set the ip of the host to 10.0.1.1
and the client to .2
then set the client router to 10.0.1.1

now, for some reason, it seems that Apple.com will load...but nothing else...

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 05:40 PM

for the "sending request" hang problem, try setting the mtu on the receiving machine to 1492 :
sudo ifconfig en1 mtu 1492

bemayo
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 09:51 PM

I have the connection working using my G4 as the host/router and iBook as the client. That is to say that I can PING to the internet successfully. However, I cannot browse with this configuration. I do have the firewall turned on, and I am not willing to turn it off. Previously, I had the IPFW manually configured and successfully connected to the internet this way. However, I turned all that off to use the built-in stuff. Anyone know if there is a way to get Internet Sharing over Airport working WITH the firewall?
Bill Mayo
Picking Apples Since '87
IIgs | IIsi | Performa 630/6300 | G3/266 | G4/533x2 | G5/2Gx2 | MacBook 1.83

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by bemayo:
Anyone know if there is a way to get Internet Sharing over Airport working WITH the firewall?
I punched a hole through the firewall for port 80 using the firewall panel. I also did this for ports 25 (SMTP) and 110 (POP).

I ran port scans and the ports do not appear open on either the LAN or WAN side of the firewall. Frankly, I'm not sure why that is - at a minimum I thought that port 80 would appear to be open on the Airport side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules