Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Unreal Tournament for OSX

Unreal Tournament for OSX
rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2002, 07:32 PM

I am sure this has probably been discussed many times already but don't visit this section often. Is there are will there be an OSX version of Unreal Tournament? If so, when?

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by rhino_g3:
I am sure this has probably been discussed many times already but don't visit this section often. Is there are will there be an OSX version of Unreal Tournament? If so, when?
technically, there is. go to www.macupdate.com and search for unreal x. you'll find a patch for the original. you'll also need the UT update for 9.

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2002, 11:05 PM

I don't own Unreal mainly because it wasn't OS X compatable. Didn't know their was a patch, thanks. How much is Unreal Tournament going for these days.

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 02:59 AM

i found mine for 9.99 at microcenter. i figure, hell, if i can play it on X, the games worth $10, even though it is kinda old. also just bought quake 3 for the same reason. microcenter is selling the linux version (in the cool metal box) for $1.99...download the mac point release, and the X patch...can't beat $2.00 for cool game on X

tr

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 09:03 PM

Not familiar with microcenter. Is Unreal still available there at that price, tr?

It is a old game but I have only played the demo. Advantage of waiting till a game is old is the price. Like the fact it can now be played in OS X also.

rhino_g3

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 09:21 PM

Hey tr, have you order much from Micro Center? Are they trustworthy? They still have a pretty good deal on Unreal Tournament and their shipping is half what MacMall charges.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...enter - Unreal

T u r b o
Aug 21, 2002, 05:24 PM

Though I've never ordered from microcenter online, I buy from a local microcenter retail store all the time.

FYI, this same game is going for $8 now at the local microcenter.

rhino_g3  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info about Micro Center, Turbo. Don't have one in my area. $8.00 is a great price.

Can Unreal Tournament be played with a controller? What is a good controller for the Mac? Like I said. New to Mac gaming although have played lots Nintendo. Haven't seen a the Game Cube.

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by rhino_g3:
Thanks for the info about Micro Center, Turbo. Don't have one in my area. $8.00 is a great price.

Can Unreal Tournament be played with a controller? What is a good controller for the Mac? Like I said. New to Mac gaming although have played lots Nintendo. Haven't seen a the Game Cube.
Yeah, you can play it with a controller, but I don't know of any off hand that work in OSX. Also, from my experience using the mouse/keyboard combo is far better than a controller in UT. Aiming is just so much easier with a mouse. Just my opinionn...

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by himself:

Yeah, you can play it with a controller, but I don't know of any off hand that work in OSX. Also, from my experience using the mouse/keyboard combo is far better than a controller in UT. Aiming is just so much easier with a mouse. Just my opinionn...
USB Overdrive for OSX was just updated a few days ago. That one allows you to use controllers in OSX (and OS9) that don't have any mac-specific drivers.

So if you really want to use a controller in UT (I don't personally like them much in FPS games, but everyone has their own preferences), give USB Overdrive a shot. You can try it out first, and if it works, then register, if not, dump it.
Who dares wins

(aka minkinen at MacCentral)

Forum Links
Forum Rules