Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 10)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 02:41 PM

[QUOTE=Dark Helmet;3187395]IGN has played Wii sports. Some highlights:
SR388 Sanctuary - The Problem with Wii Sports

Furthermore, you can easily cheat, if that's what you want to call it – and frankly, I think it is cheating. You don't have to go through the full motion.
Hold on a second. You've been decrying the Wiimote for months now, saying that no one would want to keep going through the full motions for hours on end. Now we have confirmation that you don't have to do that, and so you backpedal?
In Wii Sports Baseball, you could make a full throwing gesture with the Wii-mote to hurl the ball at the plate. Or, you could quickly flick your wrist to replace the full-blown motion. I might be able to overlook this cheap gameplay shortcut if the motions were at least calculated equally. But you'll oftentimes find that a simple flick of the wrist yields a speedier fastball than the full arching motion. What the eff is up with that, Nintendo? "
Being able to play in an "immersive" way that reflects your abilities, or a "traditional" way that leaves more up to the game, that's what. Best of both worlds.
"Wii Sports Baseball has other puzzling deficiencies. For instance, when you want to throw a curve ball, you don't actually motion it, as you might suspect. No, why would you want to use a gesture for a console whose primary purpose is to promote unique and innovative ways to play?"
Tell me, DH: how do you throw a curve ball in real life? Answer this, and you will understand.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
No it is good for their pockets, cheaper and the number #1 concern buyers have is that Nintendo makes money.
That's not what this is about, and you know it.
Every other game system gets a HUGE boost in specs as they are 5 years apart.
They get boosts in graphics and wireless controllers, but otherwise, that's it. Nothing that matters. It just happens that one company has recognized this and has decided to take things in a different direction. It's called getting off of the merry-go-round.
Then the Wii just get a cooler, smaller chip but sticks to 5 year old graphics and audio.
OK, DH, you've mentioned a lot of inaccuracies and half-truths in these threads, but this is probably the first lie you've told. There are upgrades. They're not as big as you seem to like your upgrades, but they are there, yet now you are claiming they aren't.
Name one person who has ever said "I love my gamecube but on the next system I hope the chip is cooler and smaller".
You forgot to mention 'faster'. Even your precious article doesn't forget that.

The increased efficiency of the chip is a nice side effect, but aside from escaping the cooling problems that plagued the previous generation, you're right: that's not on anyone's minds. Why, then, are you so obsessive about it?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:49 PM

I thought this was kinda cute: PS3 vs Wii

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Millennium;3187402]
IGN has played Wii sports. Some highlights:

Hold on a second. You've been decrying the Wiimote for months now, saying that no one would want to keep going through the full motions for hours on end. Now we have confirmation that you don't have to do that, and so you backpedal?

Being able to play in an "immersive" way that reflects your abilities, or a "traditional" way that leaves more up to the game, that's what. Best of both worlds.

Tell me, DH: how do you throw a curve ball in real life? Answer this, and you will understand.

What are you bitching at me like I wrote it when all I did was quote a story from IGN's editor?

If you think jaggies look good, slower hardware means more fun games, inaccurate controls, dated audio and lenient controls make things better and more immersive then go nuts. Sounds like Nintendo can poop in a bag and sell it to you as long as the remote is "revolutionary".

There is no excuse for a controller that is supposed to make things more immersive yet allows you to swing a racket with a flick of the wrist or a full arm swing. Nintendo's ads are all people jumping about the room playing but they didn't get the memo they don't have to put any effort into it.

What am I backpedaling on? I said that people will get tired of running around the room but I didn't say I want my hand making a small motion to swing a golf club. What is the point of the controller then? If you want to feel like you are in the game and swing really hard and later find out all you got to do is sit there and flick who will keep running around? When people stop doing that and just sit there they will either be wishing for a normal controller or get the same thing from the SIXAXIS on the PS3.

If Nintendo wants to give you a revolutionary system where you have to swing a controller to make a tennis racket swing then that is what they should make you do. Not have one person swinging away while the guy next to you gets the same job done flicking his wrist.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 03:29 PM

DH, all I can say is that with all of the contempt that you obviously have for the Wii and for Nintendo, you would be better off just forgetting that Nintendo even exists. Seriously, why get yourself so worked up?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise View Post
DH, all I can say is that with all of the contempt that you obviously have for the Wii and for Nintendo, you would be better off just forgetting that Nintendo even exists. Seriously, why get yourself so worked up?
Cuz it is a damn shame. Damn shame.

No reason it could have been an Xbox (hardware) with the wiimote but no IR with a bar but then nintendo wouldn't have made money from day one but ignored the big picture of winning the market.

I have every other nintendo system even a DS. I love Zelda and some other originals like Pikmen but I don't want another cube where i buy it just for them, get a good game that looks iffy and then let the system collect dust. I mean what good has come out for the cube in 2-3 years that isn't catered towards Asian teenagers and the rabid fanboy?

This wii is a huge missed opportunity. The cube was also and the N64 had its major downsides, Nintendo doesn't learn.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 03:56 PM

What's wrong with them making money on the product they make? This seems to bother you to no end.

I've asked you this before (I think) and I'm real curious to know why you believe that's wrong.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 04:05 PM

What are you bitching at me like I wrote it when all I did was quote a story from IGN's editor?
If you were actually quoting the story, that would be one thing. But you're not. You're taking things out of context and outright misquoting in some cases.
...slower hardware means more fun games...
If it gets the developers to stop going along the 3-G formula and start actually focusing on gameplay again, then yes, slower hardware does mean more fun games. The problem has always been with the developers: CD-based storage and ridiculously-overpowered graphics coprocessors were only the catalysts. But the fact is that the graphical arms race is what led to the current sick state of the industry, and if the only way out of that state is to break the cycle, then so be it.
There is no excuse for a controller that is supposed to make things more immersive yet allows you to swing a racket with a flick of the wrist or a full arm swing.
Once again, there's a very valid reason for it: letting people choose how immersive they want their experience to be.

Or, if that's a little too idealistic for your taste, let's go for something more practical. You talked about people getting tired: they probably will. By having an alternate control scheme, these people don't have to stop playing. They can switch to the small-motion mode while they rest up, and then get back into full motion when they get their breath back.
What am I backpedaling on? I said that people will get tired of running around the room but I didn't say I want my hand making a small motion to swing a golf club.
What is pressing a button, if it's not your hand making a small motion? If you want to keep controlling your games through pushing buttons, that's your prerogative. But your rants up to this point have been against "making large motions", not "not pushing buttons".
What is the point of the controller then? If you want to feel like you are in the game and swing really hard and later find out all you got to do is sit there and flick who will keep running around?
Not you, apparently, and that's your prerogative. But I dare say you'll find it's a lot more fun to immerse yourself. With the Wiimote, players have the option to choose how they want to play. How, exactly, is this a bad thing?

Alternatively, why do people still buy DDR floor pads, when you can play the game with a standard controller? Why use the silly drum controllers or the Guitar Hero controller instead of a standard one?
If Nintendo wants to give you a revolutionary system where you have to swing a controller to make a tennis racket swing then that is what they should make you do. Not have one person swinging away while the guy next to you gets the same job done flicking his wrist.
Ah; I see. Choice is bad. Got it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 04:07 PM

No reason it could have been an Xbox (hardware)
It is at the very least just as powerful, probably more powerful.

with the wiimote but no IR with a bar
Ahhh. So the controls would work magically.

I have every other nintendo system even a DS.
Am I the only one who remembers the fight you put up against getting a DS?

I don't think Nintendo can do anything to make you happy. Nintendo could come out with dual processor Cell based dual HD console tomorrow and you'd complain about it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 04:50 PM

No reason it could have been an Xbox (hardware) with the wiimote but no IR with a bar...
As opposed to... what? My GPS-like idea is not exactly without its drawbacks, and frankly, you don't have enough of a picture of how the Wiimote works yet to be able to make the judgments you're making. There are enough people on both sides of this that it's going to have to wait until we can all take it for a test run ourselves.

As for there being "no reason it couldn't have been an Xbox hardware..." Sure there is. Nintendo is not Microsoft. You seem to think we're talking about only "a little less money" here. We're not: we're talking a basically infinite money sink. The XBox has made a few gains if you look only on a quarter-by-quarter basis, but over the live of the product this platform has never been profitable, nor will it ever. It stays in business because, frankly, this is Microsoft; they can do that. And they do, because they want the console industry so that they can dismantle it and make PCs the dominant gaming platform, and they have enough money to lose that unless their competitors can actually sustain themselves, Microsoft will wil..
but then nintendo wouldn't have made money from day one but ignored the big picture of winning the market.
Nintendo has already said they're not trying to go directly against Sony or Microsoft. They're going after markets that S&M ignore. That's a big risk, and it's not one that any sane businessman would go into without there being at least a chance of profits from day one.
I have every other nintendo system even a DS. I love Zelda and some other originals like Pikmen but I don't want another cube where i buy it just for them, get a good game that looks iffy and then let the system collect dust.
If it's a good game, then why are you letting the system collect dust? Why not keep playing your games, if they're so good?
I mean what good has come out for the cube in 2-3 years that isn't catered towards Asian teenagers and the rabid fanboy?
You mean Japan's core markets? Not much, admittedly. This is exactly the cycle that Nintendo is trying to break. What good has come out from the XBox in 2-3 years that hasn't catered toward young adult American males and the rabid fanboy?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 05:19 PM

No reason it could have been an Xbox (hardware) with the wiimote but no IR with a bar but then nintendo wouldn't have made money from day one but ignored the big picture of winning the market.
I already addressed this in an earlier post, but trying to make their system "an Xbox 360 with a Wiimote" would be suicide for Nintendo. As Millenium pointed out, the Xbox isn't really making money even for Microsoft, but Microsoft has other sources of income. Sony seems to be banking on the PS3 to popularize Blueray, and of course they have other product lines in addition to games, so like Microsoft they can afford not to make money directly on their console. Nintendo lives and dies by its games and systems. Copying Microsoft's brilliant (by your estimation) strategy of losing money on every console would simply not work for them.

Admittedly, this is partially because Nintendo has dug itself into a hole with the mediocre performance of the Cube (by this, I'm talking about sales and the number/ type of titles available, rather than the hardware itself). If Nintendo had been top dog instead of in third place in the last generation, they probably could have pulled off something like you describe. But that's not the case. Realistically, very few gamers would seriously consider a $400-$500 Nintendo system, because they've already got allegiances to either Microsoft or Sony. But a $250 system could work as a second system for gamers, or as a primary system for non-gamers.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 05:45 PM

Nintendo has dug itself into a hole with the mediocre performance of the Cube

The Xbox did 24 million units as of Q42006
The Gamecube did 21 million

While those numbers are nowhere near the playstation 2 Nintendo does sell more home-grown games than any other player therefore the profits are much better for them.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 06:26 PM

Yes, but remember also that the Xbox was more expensive than the Gamecube. But I was talking more about sales of games, and I certainly have the impression that the Gamecube trailed the PS2 and Xbox in that respect.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I don't think Nintendo can do anything to make you happy. Nintendo could come out with dual processor Cell based dual HD console tomorrow and you'd complain about it.
Cause then his argument would be..it's too big, too expensive, not innovative, runs too hot and keeps crashing. whatever Nintendo chooses to do, he'll be arguing against them...thats his(and some other people's) gameplan here.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
According to your calculator, a Wii with 3 controllers and nunchuks (no classic shell) is $30 more than an Xbox.
And so what, Chuckit? For $30 more you get a smaller, cooler system with 3 more wireless controller sets (BTW, that's a Wii with four, not three controller sets) and free online play, among other things. And why are you comparing a Wii with 3 extra controllers to an XBox with none? And again, why do you think everyone will need three extra controller sets? I plan on getting just one extra one.-- I don't see that I'll have a need for more.

Ugh. I'm tired of all the Wii/Nintendo-bashing going on here. If getting a Wii doesn't make sense to you, then don't get one! If you think the Wii should have been cheaper, then sure mention it, but beating a dead horse over and over and over again gets us exactly nowhere!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 07:43 AM

Check it out.... IGN's Wii launch Guide (lickedy-split cover-flow UI)

29 Games available at Launch. 3 Nintendo first party titles (including Wii Sports).

18 Days to go

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 09:52 AM

In case anyone cares, Walmart is going to be starting preorders for a Wii bundle sometime today. It includes the system, extra wiimote/nunchuck, 2000 "Wii points" and 4 games of your choice for $533.56. I don't like bundles, but at least this is stuff that you might theoretically want, and you do get to choose which games you want as well. At the moment it says "out of stock" but it hasn't actually been available yet.

Walmart.com - Always Low Prices! - Nintendo Wii Customer Choice's Bundle

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:15 AM

4 games? Are there 4 games people care about?

Looking at that list, I'm not impressed. In fact, I think I'm going to stick with the GC version of Zelda (which, BTW, is still going to be available at my local GS).

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 10:18 AM

Well, if I had to get the bundle (which I don't) I would probably get Zelda, Red Steel, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Trauma Center Second Opinion.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 02:43 PM

Another Zelda review from an UK gaming magazine:

Having clocked up 34 hours (and counting) on the final build of the Wii's 'The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess', I will be posting my impressions on here over the coming weeks leading up to the full review in the next issue of the magazine (on sale 24 Nov).

I'm not going to give too much away right now, but rest assured that this is one hell of a game. I was actually surprised at how little I knew about the game. In a similar fashion to Capcom's treatment of RE4 pre-launch, even the hardcore followers probably only know around 5% of what this game has to offer.

I'm not going to ruin the game for you. If you want storyline info, boss tactics, character names etc then go elsewhere. I'm not going to be responsible for ruining this game for people. The story and character development is more relevant in this game than any other Zelda before it. I'm going to post as few spoilers as possible but here's your first warning:

Title Screen
So, first up is the title screen. I’m sure many OoT fans out there will be ecstatic to hear that, in a similar vein to OoT, Twilight Princess feature a stunning title screen sequence whereby Link reigns in Epona and goes running across a bridge and along the edge of a cliff in Hyrule Field. It’s the perfect start to the game and OoT fans will quite literally be drowning in their own drool before they even press Start (sorry, I mean A+B).

Options
I know there are options whores out there so here’s a bit on that:
Lock-On Type: toggle between holding down Z to lock on, or just tapping Z to lock on.
Camera Control: choose between regular or inverted.
Pointer: have it on or off (didn’t try having it off, but I assume you control the sights with the analogue stick.
Icon Shortcuts: have them on or off.
Pointer Settings: a sensitivity setting, from 1 – 10.

To be honest, apart from inverting the camera controls, I had no reason to bother with anything else as the standard settings were pretty much perfect for me.

General Feel
The Epona opening sequence provides the feel-good factor and if you wait a few seconds longer there’s the montage trailer that provides just enough snippets of later events to get you really excited. I’m not going to talk about those though.
The overall feel of the game is way more filmic than before. You can tell from the very first second that this is going to be more story-driven, and therefore more heartstring-tugging, than any other Zelda game. The character design is improved over other games. Some of that can probably be attributed to the fact that there’s more power under the hood (hence more detailed expressions and clothing), but I think it’s safe to say that the actual design in general is better. That said, I still hate Colin. I don’t like his face and his efforts to follow in Link’s footsteps make him seem like a right brown-noser. He gets picked on by the other kids and to be honest with you, I have no sympathy for him. But still, I do feel passionately about him so either way, I’m being drawn in more than ever before.

Controls
I must admit, even back at E3 I had concerns about the controls. Would the Wii Remote swordplay get tedious? Would it be tiring? Is the pointing device accurate enough to get me out of a tight spot at the drop of a hat? Thankfully the answers are 'no, 'no' and 'yes'. I have to say though, there’s a mental barrier to cross with the Wii, and it’s one that I’m only just beginning to break through.

The problem is, even though I know the pointer works relatively (as opposed to where I’m pointing on the screen), I still find myself wanting to point at specific areas of the screen. So I’ll have the bow out and I swear I’m pointing at the screen. The thing is I’m not supposed to be. My Sensor Bar is actually sat a foot below the screen because it’s easier to have it there. So when I’m pointing directly at the Sensor Bar, that is interpreted as dead-centre (on the vertical plain). It takes a while for your head to readjust but once it does everything is so much easier. I had the same issues with Red Steel.
With that hurdle overcome, the pointing device is stunningly accurate. . . way more accurate than an analogue stick. There’s an area in the second dungeon (Nintendo PR, forgive me – I know I’m not supposed to talk about dungeon 2 but this particular bit is from the E3 demo) where you’re hiding behind crates and are being fired upon by six or seven Moblins. From the moment I first see them to the moment the last one falls lasts about six seconds. It’s literally just point shoot, point shoot. . . and each movement is spot-on, even though three of them are only separated by 5mm each. That’s nothing to do with my skill - that’s just how responsive, lag-free and accurate the technology is.

But what of the sword fighting? Actually, it’s great. There is a tiny bit of lag but that’s because you have to complete the motion before the move is recognised. Honestly though, it’s a split-second thing.
Anyone who has played the E3 demo will know that Link has his spinning attack, a standard slice, a jab and a jump attack. The latter three are performed via the Wii Remote while the spinning attack comes from gesturing the Nunchuk left and right. Link doesn’t actually start out with the Ending Blow that was present in the E3 demo. He actually learns new moves throughout the game, a fantastic addition that succeeds perfectly in heightening the feeling of character development. This learning of moves is also connected to Wolf Link but that’s an amazing part of the game in itself and I’ll leave that to you to figure out and enjoy for yourself.
Anyway, back to how the sword feels. A laid back flick of the wrist is as good as an intense swipe but when you’re in the thick of it you’ll find yourself really going for it. And no, it isn’t tiring. I’ve been doing 12-hour sessions, simply because I’ve had to, and while my eyes are barely open at the end my hands and arms are just fine. Sorry, I know there are cynics out there who don’t want to hear that, but it’s true.

Music
Simply amazing. I mean, Zelda always has great music, but every now and then a tune will play in the background and you’ll be like “I’ve got to stop playing cos that tune is just something else”. There’s one in the first area that’s based on an older Zelda tune but it’s remixed and is just divine. There’s plenty more to say on the subject but I won’t because some of the enemy sound effects and the Twilight Realm tunes are really ominous and it would ruin the surprise if I talked about them. It’ll definitely be worth buying the soundtrack though (hmmm, maybe we should look into doing a TP soundtrack on the cover of the mag. . .).

Wii Remote Speaker
It’s strange because in theory there seems little point in the speaker function. . . any sound effects could just come out of the TV speaker. In practice though (and who is to know whether Nintendo fully intended this to be the case or not) it’s genius and manages to put you right in the heart of the action. You get the sound of the sword unsheathing and sword clashes in the speaker and you also get a little chime once the Spin Attack has recharged (about two seconds). Midna giggles via the speaker when she wants to talk to you, at which point you have to press up on the D-pad. It may sound like a gimmick but seriously, it adds yet more magic to the experience.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 04:36 PM

yea, this 48 hour thing that journalist are going through right now is ridiculous. i can't wait for ign and gamespot's reviews...
blah

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 05:43 PM

In case anyone cares, Walmart is going to be starting preorders for a Wii bundle sometime today. It includes the system, extra wiimote/nunchuck, 2000 "Wii points" and 4 games of your choice for $533.56. I don't like bundles, but at least this is stuff that you might theoretically want, and you do get to choose which games you want as well. At the moment it says "out of stock" but it hasn't actually been available yet.

Walmart.com - Always Low Prices! - Nintendo Wii Customer Choice's Bundle
I don't really see any advantage to the bundle, though. A Wii, an extra controller set, four games (at $50 a pop) and 2,000 Wii points (which is about $20) would cost about $530, excluding tax.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I have to say though, there’s a mental barrier to cross with the Wii, and it’s one that I’m only just beginning to break through.

The problem is, even though I know the pointer works relatively (as opposed to where I’m pointing on the screen), I still find myself wanting to point at specific areas of the screen. So I’ll have the bow out and I swear I’m pointing at the screen. The thing is I’m not supposed to be. My Sensor Bar is actually sat a foot below the screen because it’s easier to have it there. So when I’m pointing directly at the Sensor Bar, that is interpreted as dead-centre (on the vertical plain). It takes a while for your head to readjust but once it does everything is so much easier. I had the same issues with Red Steel.
So there it is AGAIN. How does pointing at a censor bar make sense? With Duckhunt you pointed at the screen and it hit exactly where you were pointing. The Wii seems to act like a mouse.

Also he has played for 34 HOURS and he is just breaking though the "mental barrier". How is 34 hours and still not having it click a "casual gamer, pick up and go" system?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 05:55 PM

People pickup the mouse pretty quickly and I think the Wii will be just as easy once you get used to it.

Also its Sensor.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
People pickup the mouse pretty quickly and I think the Wii will be just as easy once you get used to it.

Also its Sensor.
I'm not saying you might not adapt to it but 34 hours later he still hasn't quite cracked it.

Also, the whole point is of the controller is point where you want to hit, not point at the "sensor" bar for the centre and try to figure out what you need to do after that to get it where you want.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Cause then his argument would be..it's too big, too expensive, not innovative, runs too hot and keeps crashing. whatever Nintendo chooses to do, he'll be arguing against them...thats his(and some other people's) gameplan here.
Funny part is I have always said I don't care what size the system is (other than to joke about it), price for the system doesn't bother me and who cares about heat? None of those things effect the sound, graphics control, 3rd party support or gameplay.

As for crashing my gamecube crashed more than any other system.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 06:28 PM

As for crashing my gamecube crashed more than any other system.
Not that my personal experience will refute your personal experience, but all my gaming during this gen has been on my Gamecube, I've played around 50 games on the system and never had a single crash.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 06:30 PM

At the BBC a "non-gamer" plays the Wii and doesn't get the simplicity of the games and likes zelda because it is more in depth.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Won over by the world of Wii?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 06:41 PM

At the BBC a "non-gamer" plays the Wii and doesn't get the simplicity of the games and likes zelda because it is more in depth.

She also said she thought the remote was fun, and didn't mention any problems with it.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 07:43 PM

You are pretty good at picking up tiny pieces of articles and making them out to be the whole jist of an article. The enjoyed the games that were simpler but didn't understand why she would do things from warioware. She said that she did lousy on Wii sports because she was lousy at sports not because of anything else. The reason she liked Zelda was this: "Maybe it was the cute outfit he was wearing, or perhaps it was the fun of using the remote to swipe a sword or ping an arrow, or the fact that there was some kind of narrative to what was going on that made my videogame scepticism lift." It's not because it was "deep", it was just more fun to this lady because it was "cute" and she could "swipe a sword" and "ping an arrow".

Overall a very positive experience it seemed... someone with zero gaming experience was able to pick it up (in less than your aforementioned 34 hours) and had no problems with the wiimote. She even said that she would probably like to do it again.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
She also said she thought the remote was fun, and didn't mention any problems with it.
Throwing a ball in the air is "fun" also and I am glad you are happy one story doesn't mention a problem with the remote.

Point is her as a non-gamer (the ones ninendo is trying to target) found the games overly simple as wasn't totally sold on the idea.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 08:16 PM

This guy says Wii Sports has some major problems.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
Throwing a ball in the air is "fun" also and I am glad you are happy one story doesn't mention a problem with the remote.

Point is her as a non-gamer (the ones ninendo is trying to target) found the games overly simple as wasn't totally sold on the idea.
Someone who doesn't like games to begin with wasn't completely sold on the Wii? Oh noes!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:09 PM

So there it is AGAIN. How does pointing at a censor bar make sense? With Duckhunt you pointed at the screen and it hit exactly where you were pointing. The Wii seems to act like a mouse.
Spoken like someone who hasn't played Duck Hunt in quite a while. I suggest you refresh your memory.

Play any of the Zapper-based games (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and such) and you'll notice a common thread in all of them: the screen flashes every time you pull the trigger (usually accompanied by a sound effect) if there's anything on the screen that you can possibly hit. Slow things down a bit, and you'll see that the screen goes black except for big white squares where the targets are.

The Zapper, you see, was a remarkably simplistic piece of technology. All it can do is sense light or darkness. This is why you can cheat at just about any Zapper-based game simply by pointing your gun at a lamp. Meanwhile, the only thing it could actually sense was a white square against a black screen: the Nintendo folks got decent at disguising this, but all they could do is disguise, not remove.

Does the Zapper still sound like such a superior device to you? Imagine first-person shooters working this way: I doubt it's a pleasant thought. Imagine Zelda working this way: again, I'd imagine it seems quite problematic.
Also he has played for 34 HOURS and he is just breaking though the "mental barrier". How is 34 hours and still not having it click a "casual gamer, pick up and go" system?
34 hours? While this does indeed sound worrisome, it's also worth noting that no one else anywhere has reported anywhere near this degree of problems. It sounds to me like what the tech support industry would call a PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Spoken like someone who hasn't played Duck Hunt in quite a while. I suggest you refresh your memory.

Play any of the Zapper-based games (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and such) and you'll notice a common thread in all of them: the screen flashes every time you pull the trigger (usually accompanied by a sound effect) if there's anything on the screen that you can possibly hit. Slow things down a bit, and you'll see that the screen goes black except for big white squares where the targets are.

The Zapper, you see, was a remarkably simplistic piece of technology. All it can do is sense light or darkness. This is why you can cheat at just about any Zapper-based game simply by pointing your gun at a lamp. Meanwhile, the only thing it could actually sense was a white square against a black screen: the Nintendo folks got decent at disguising this, but all they could do is disguise, not remove.
Wow, I never realized that. How clever.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:40 PM

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER TO GET THE WIIIIII.

THAT'S IT, I'M FREEZING MYSELF.

Wake me up in three weeks.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
I don't really see any advantage to the bundle, though. A Wii, an extra controller set, four games (at $50 a pop) and 2,000 Wii points (which is about $20) would cost about $530, excluding tax.
There is no "advantage" in the sense that you're paying full retail price (as is always the case with these kind of launch system bundles). But some people are willing to buy a bundle just to guarantee they get a system. Despite all the talk about how Nintendo is producing plenty of Wiis for the launch, it seems remarkably difficult to preorder one. Amazon's preorders have sold out in minutes. At Toys R Us last Sunday they were taking preorders for the PS3 and Wii. At my store they only had 4 PS3s and 10 Wiis to go around (they did a raffle to see who could preorder the systems, but at many stores people literally camped out in front of the store for a day or more). 10 Wiis is not a lot of systems. Still, even if there is a shortage right at launch, I don't think it'll be a sustained one like we're going to see with the PS3.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:50 AM

Retail packaging and unboxing of a Wii

Im going to have to order an American-coded-Wii cause my GCN is a region 1. guess ill have to wait till the dust settles to order one. Damn you Sony for killing Lik-Sang !!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:27 AM

There is no "advantage" in the sense that you're paying full retail price (as is always the case with these kind of launch system bundles). But some people are willing to buy a bundle just to guarantee they get a system.
Ah, I see. I still believe that Nintendo is limiting pre-orders because it just wants to get as many as those Wiis out there as they can to the public so Joe Smith can see, play with and buy one at the regular retail outlets. But, I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Retail packaging and unboxing of a Wii

Im going to have to order an American-coded-Wii cause my GCN is a region 1. guess ill have to wait till the dust settles to order one. Damn you Sony for killing Lik-Sang !!
Not quite Apple packaging, but nicer than the GC and the N64.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 07:17 AM

Here's a lil something to help you guys get through the next two weeks until the Wii launches....

Legend of Zelda(Orchestral composition)

The funny thing is....ive played ONE Zelda game, and this tune still manages to strike a chord. The really cool part is it's composed entirely of string instruments....no drums,etc. Have a listen. Those of you who are into classical music will really appreciate it.

Cheers

PS>> New LOZ: TP video here + new trailer The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 2, 2006 at 07:26 AM. )

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 07:32 AM

I'm still wondering if GameCube games can be played with the Classic controller and if this is wireless or not.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 07:35 AM

I'm still wondering if GameCube games can be played with the Classic controller and if this is wireless or not.
The one thing i would have done differently from what Nintendo is doing now, is the classic controller. I think they should have made the classic controller, identical in shape and form(maybe moved the buttons around a little) to the GCN controller with built in wireless, instead of having a SNES reminicant shape that NEEDS to be plugged into the Wii-mote.

I guess for GCN games you can use your GCN controllers anyway, so it's not a big issue, but a nicety, i would have liked.

Oh and im stoked about LOZ: Phantom Hourglass, in fact i might just pick up this game before i get a Wii.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 07:48 AM

It's wireless, but it plugs into the wiimote in the same way as the nunchuck does, so it does have a wire hanging off of it. I had sort of assumed that one of the main purposes of the classic controller was playing GC games, but I'm not sure.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
yea, this 48 hour thing that journalist are going through right now is ridiculous. i can't wait for ign and gamespot's reviews...
When does this 48 hours end? Where are the reviews?? ahhhhh

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 03:37 PM

Although it hasn't been confirmed, there are reports that the WaveBird base unit fits into the Wii's GC controller ports. If it fits, then third-party wireless base units probably fit as well, since they mimic the WaveBird unit's form factor pretty closely. If this is true, then this would allow you to use wireless GameCube controllers with the Wii.

As for the Classic controller, I'm afraid it depends on your definition of 'wireless'. It has a wire, but this connects to the Wiimote's expansion port like the Nunchuk does. So there isn't a wire between the controller and the console, but there is a wire of sorts.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Although it hasn't been confirmed, there are reports that the WaveBird base unit fits into the Wii's GC controller ports. If it fits, then third-party wireless base units probably fit as well, since they mimic the WaveBird unit's form factor pretty closely. If this is true, then this would allow you to use wireless GameCube controllers with the Wii.

As for the Classic controller, I'm afraid it depends on your definition of 'wireless'. It has a wire, but this connects to the Wiimote's expansion port like the Nunchuk does. So there isn't a wire between the controller and the console, but there is a wire of sorts.
the wavebird fits in the Wii. there is a pic of it in the GC-Wii port on IGN.. i cant look for it cause i am at work. put they said they could fit all 4 with wavebirds.
blah

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
When does this 48 hours end? Where are the reviews?? ahhhhh
its done. but they cannot talk about the new stuff till friday because of an NDA.
blah

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:24 PM

Go here:
Wii Launch Guide

Click on the Wii unit and then #4.. it says "The inputs are fully compatible with wavebird wireless controllers too"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
its done. but they cannot talk about the new stuff till friday because of an NDA.
So expect all the reviews tomorrow?

Forum Links
Forum Rules