Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Russia teen sues over evolution teaching

Russia teen sues over evolution teaching (Page 10)
Taliesin
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 06:08 AM

Huh? Noone here anymore?

Ok, then I will have to discuss with myself I guess.

The opponents of the evolution theory have often based their rejection on the claim that there would be no intermediate links between the species in the fossil-record.

That is obviously a false claim, even during the time of Darwin, there were intermediate-links found in the fossil-record. The problem was that there were not found enough links, since the evolution-theory predicted/s a gradual evolution, and therefore requiring a multitude of links, a constant stream.

Possible explanation for the rarity of links, mind you not absence, cause there are links, found in the fossil-record that was proposed is:

Not every dying creature becomes a fossil, there are certain kinds of conditions that must come together to produce fossils.

But some bioligists were not content with that line of thinking and proposed a new theory that complements the gradual evolution. According to them, in many cases evolution would not happen gradually, but in jumps. A minority-part of a population gets somehow and for some reason isolated and evolves pretty fast and then expands and drives the non-evolved majority-population into extinction.

I'm not sure that the new theory is widely accepted.

Another question that needs some discussion is, how can one blend together the story of Adam and Eve with the knowledge of evolution?

Taliesin

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
But some bioligists were not content ... (snip) According to them... (snip) A minority-part of a population gets somehow and for some reason isolated and evolves pretty fast ...
I don't know about them being not content, but evidence points to several processes, one being http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium as you refer to, perhaps read up on it and see if that fits what you are thinking?

Another question that needs some discussion is, how can one blend together the story of Adam and Eve with the knowledge of evolution?
Are you suggesting that we should try to blend them together? To me they are not capable of blending. The back bending that goes on trying to blend the creation story with evolution is such a stretch that I would think it easier on logic and perhaps your faith to keep the two separate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules