Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 11)
fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
the wavebird fits in the Wii. there is a pic of it in the GC-Wii port on IGN.. i cant look for it cause i am at work. put they said they could fit all 4 with wavebirds.
A

Wavebird

will

fit,

even four! Nintendo is not that stupid. However I suspect for Cube games only. LINK
( Last edited by fhoubi; Nov 2, 2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Blog URL year/month specified)
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER TO GET THE WIIIIII.

THAT'S IT, I'M FREEZING MYSELF.

Wake me up in three weeks.
Man, has no one seen the new south park yet??
I thought at least someone would get it. Or maybe they did and didn't care. haha who knows.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Go here:
Wii Launch Guide

Click on the Wii unit and then #4.. it says "The inputs are fully compatible with wavebird wireless controllers too"
IGN's site also seems to imply that we'll be able to play GameCube games with the Classic controller. When you go to hardware, click on the Classic controller and mouseover the analog stick number it says:

To enable N64 and GameCube playback with the Classic Controller Nintendo has equipped it with a dual-analog in a layout...

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Man, has no one seen the new south park yet??
I thought at least someone would get it. Or maybe they did and didn't care. haha who knows.
Oh damn! I forgot about SP, I caught up on my TiVo last night and totally forgot about SP :-(
Ill watch it tonight though.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
IGN's site also seems to imply that we'll be able to play GameCube games with the Classic controller. When you go to hardware, click on the Classic controller and mouseover the analog stick number it says:
Seeing as I prefer the wavebird and have 4 ill stick to those, wish we could play the virtual games with the GC controllers, we can't right? Have to buy a classic?

What does GCN stand for? Obviously refers to Game Cube but is the N Nintendo? why not NGC then?

Will we be seeing in-depth Zelda reviews today or is that more a Monday thing?

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 09:39 AM

GCN is US, NGC is Japan.

Yes. that's retarded. I don't understand why people just call it the GC.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 09:43 AM

ign has an article about the south park episode

and yea, Zelda reviews/really-extensive-previews should be coming out today
blah

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 10:02 AM

What does GCN stand for? Obviously refers to Game Cube but is the N Nintendo? why not NGC then?
I've wondered the same thing. When I see "N" I automatically think "Network" or something else. N for Nintendo in that order makes little sense.

BTW, is anyone else yet to offer pre-orders? I'm not too crazy about the Wal-Mart bundle pre-orders, though. Nintendo's press release for the first time has me a little worried, but then again it could just be some more PR hype from Nintendo, signifying nothing of substance.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2006, 10:15 AM

Apparently the GCN thing was something mandated by Nintendo, but I don't know why. It's nothing to do with the Japanese language, in case anyone was wondering. The best guess I have is that GC or NGC were already used by something. But I refuse to use the abbreviation and just write out Gamecube most of the time.

Amazon should still be offering more Wii preorders at some point in the next couple of weeks, but unless you're really on the ball I wouldn't expect to be able to get one. You can go to Cheap Ass Gamer and look in the forums (mostly the video game bargains forum and the Wii forum) for more info on preorders.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 10:15 AM

Definitely strange. What I've always wondered, though, is where the heck they got DMG for the original Game Boy.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:08 AM

Nintendo announces full Wii, Virtual Console games release list
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061101-8124.html

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2006, 11:12 AM

I was reading about this recently, and apparently Japan is getting a better lineup of VC games than the US or Europe. For example, we're not getting any Super Mario Bros. games (just the original Mario Bros.). I guess maybe they're holding them back for later, since it's inconceivable that they wouldn't be releasing them at all. Actually, this list of titles is pretty underwhelming, but I like the concept. If they keep adding new content every week or so, it should be good. I'm not sure that I can convince myself to pay for games that I can play for "free" in emulation though.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:14 AM

Wonder if we will be able to load roms onto an SD card and play them somehow....

Our own legally obtained ROMs of course...

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I was reading about this recently, and apparently Japan is getting a better lineup of VC games than the US or Europe. For example, we're not getting any Super Mario Bros. games (just the original Mario Bros.). I guess maybe they're holding them back for later, since it's inconceivable that they wouldn't be releasing them at all. Actually, this list of titles is pretty underwhelming, but I like the concept. If they keep adding new content every week or so, it should be good. I'm not sure that I can convince myself to pay for games that I can play for "free" in emulation though.
Gotta worry if Nintendo feels the need to pace itself.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2006, 11:44 AM

Why? I imagine that they're going to take the same approach that Microsoft has with Xbox Live Arcade: release a few new things every week to keep up consumer interest. Of course, I doubt that there is as much effort involved in preparing one of these games for use on the Wii compared to porting an arcade game with Xbox Live or (of course) making an original game, but I don't think it's realistic to expect their entire library to be available right away, and I think it probably works better for them in terms of getting people to buy things.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Nintendo's press release for the first time has me a little worried,
Same here, although I will wait till next year if I have to, I would like to get one for Christmas.

There is definitely a more serious feel about the Wii launch than the GC, the GC was sorta like a joke, we went to the local EB and were almost shunned for having a GC and wanting to "waste money on games for it". This was pretty soon after the launch.

This time with the Wii there is a ton of buzz and the sales people are very excited to get it in and get the demo up.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 11:48 AM

Why? I imagine that they're going to take the same approach that Microsoft has with Xbox Live Arcade: release a few new things every week to keep up consumer interest. Of course, I doubt that there is as much effort involved in preparing one of these games for use on the Wii compared to porting an arcade game with Xbox Live or (of course) making an original game, but I don't think it's realistic to expect their entire library to be available right away, and I think it probably works better for them in terms of getting people to buy things.
Honestly, I'm just tired of the companies worrying more about media and interest rather than just giving gamers want they want and letting word of mouth do its thing.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarļæ½ View Post
Honestly, I'm just tired of the companies worrying more about media and interest rather than just giving gamers want they want and letting word of mouth do its thing.
Unfortunately thats the way marketing works best....

I KNOW for a fact that my g/f is getting me Wii points for christmas, and I LOVE mario games, so with just mario bros out now I will have the points and probably wind up buy it.

When Super mario 1,2,3 comes out I will buy 3 cause it was one of my favs! if they were all out now I would probably skip mario bros and just go for the super...

This is all assuming I get my hands on a Wii before SM comes out.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 11:52 AM

I think it's just a marketing strategy. People like to buy new things. If the system released with 500 Vc games, people would buy a few and lose interest.

By trickling out the titles, people can anticipate and get hyped about releases and feel like they are buying the latest thing, which people like to do.

Even though the latest thing is a 20 year old game.

Looking over the VC list, I don't see a single game I'm interested in that I don't already own in it's original form. Meh.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah, I suppose that's what killed the dreamcast. Never heard much negative about it, but Sony stomped it into the ground never-the-less.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 12:02 PM

Wonder if we will be able to load roms onto an SD card and play them somehow....

Our own legally obtained ROMs of course...
I doubt we'll be able to right off the bat, but I'll be shocked if the modders don't come up with something within two months.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Spoken like someone who hasn't played Duck Hunt in quite a while. I suggest you refresh your memory.

Play any of the Zapper-based games (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and such) and you'll notice a common thread in all of them: the screen flashes every time you pull the trigger (usually accompanied by a sound effect) if there's anything on the screen that you can possibly hit. Slow things down a bit, and you'll see that the screen goes black except for big white squares where the targets are.

The Zapper, you see, was a remarkably simplistic piece of technology. All it can do is sense light or darkness. This is why you can cheat at just about any Zapper-based game simply by pointing your gun at a lamp. Meanwhile, the only thing it could actually sense was a white square against a black screen: the Nintendo folks got decent at disguising this, but all they could do is disguise, not remove.

Does the Zapper still sound like such a superior device to you? Imagine first-person shooters working this way: I doubt it's a pleasant thought. Imagine Zelda working this way: again, I'd imagine it seems quite problematic.

So how did it determine if you hit the duck on the left or the duck on the right if that was all it did? Cool stuff to know, you just got me curious.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
So how did it determine if you hit the duck on the left or the duck on the right if that was all it did? Cool stuff to know, you just got me curious.
Read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightgun

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I heard it takes pictures of the screen or something like that.

Anywho, 20 years later we should have something better than 20 year old IR sensors.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
I heard it takes pictures of the screen or something like that.

Anywho, 20 years later we should have something better than 20 year old IR sensors.
I can vouch for Wikipedia's accuracy on the early light guns, at least up through the Zapper. If what they're saying about the Wii is true, then it sounds quite similar to the method I proposed with the radio beacon; the only real difference is that it uses IR instead of radio.

If that's the case, then if it actually works right then I'm satisfied. I'll probably do some fiddling just to see if I can deliberately break it with lamps, but we'll see.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 04:47 PM

By the way, it's been confirmed: you can use GameCube controllers to play Virtual Console games. You can also use the Wiimote for NES games by holding it sideways.

As for the Classic controller, it looks as though you'll be able to play Virtual Console games with it, but not GameCube games.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 05:44 PM

Glad to hear that! No Zelda reviews?

I guess they want to sell mags huh..

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2006, 05:49 PM

As for the Classic controller, it looks as though you'll be able to play Virtual Console games with it, but not GameCube games.
That is super weird.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
That is super weird.
Yeah, I'm kind of confused by it too. Why have two analog sticks on the controller when the GameCube is the only Nintendo system ever to have two sticks, but then not allow it to work for GameCube games?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2006, 08:17 PM

If you can use the GC controllers to control both GC games and VC games, but the classic controller only works for VC games, what is the advantage of getting it?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 08:55 PM

By the way, it's been confirmed: you can use GameCube controllers to play Virtual Console games. You can also use the Wiimote for NES games by holding it sideways.

Not liking this. I'm hoping this proves to be erroneous info.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 12:46 AM

IGN's site seems to imply otherwise. It doesn't make much sense to have basically the same button layout (one extra Z button on the left), minus one bit of functionality (R and L are not analog on the Classic Controller), yet not allow users to play GC games with it? Guess we'll find out, but I'll intuitively presume that we can, because it seems stupid otherwiseā€”but Nintendo's certainly done some dumbass things in the past.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 10:13 AM

There are a lot of things we still don't know about the Wii, in spite of all the rumor, speculation, screenshots, videos and articles. And besides, even "knowing" is not "experiencing", and the Wii particularly is about experience. Like most here, I am very eager to actually have one in my hands and play with it myself.

I might hold back on getting the Classic controller until we can absolutely confirm/deny these claims on GameCube game compatibility.

Nintendo says they have a big announcement/surprise concerning the Wii. I wonder what they have up their sleeves. I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do with their Wii online gaming service.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2006, 11:46 AM

Here are some impressions of Zelda. Seems like good news overall.

Metapreview - Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Joystiq

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2006, 01:06 PM

Wow, looks like Frys.com (nee Outpost.com) is the latest to jump on the Wii bundle bandwagon. $679.90 for the system and:

GT Pro Series
Madden 07
Legend of Zelda
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Call of Duty 3
Rampage Total Destruction
Super Monkey Ball
Rayman Raving Rabbits
Red Steel

Now that's pretty outrageous.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 02:06 PM

Wow, looks like Frys.com (nee Outpost.com) is the latest to jump on the Wii bundle bandwagon. $679.90 for the system and:

GT Pro Series
Madden 07
Legend of Zelda
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Call of Duty 3
Rampage Total Destruction
Super Monkey Ball
Rayman Raving Rabbits
Red Steel

Now that's pretty outrageous.
I'm thinking about purchasing it simply because I don't have a pre-order at this point, but I could do without half those games and an extra controller instead. Not to mention the price is kinda high.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 11:40 PM

Here are some impressions of Zelda. Seems like good news overall.

Metapreview - Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Joystiq

Wow, sounds amazing! I pulled out my 64 and just started OoT again, this should take me till launch with the little time I have! I am soooo psyched.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 12:06 AM

You should try to find the GC version of OoT. Better graphics, it doesn't look as fuzzy.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You should try to find the GC version of OoT. Better graphics, it doesn't look as fuzzy.
That's a really hard thing to find.

Myself, I throw Zelda into an emulator and crank up the graphics. Majora's Mask looked amazing.

(And before you ask I own the actual carts, just don't want to unpack the 64).
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
My local store has about a dozen.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 12:22 AM

My local store has about a dozen.
Really? When I do see them they cost like $40.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 12:23 AM

That's better than the $100 they used to go for.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 01:35 AM

I'm playing that right now(GCN version i got with TWW) ....well not actually...ive been stuck in the water temple for the last 6 months....i just cant figure it out, so i just gave up.....but ill pick it up again today.

Strangely enough....it's a 10 year old game(i think), and i still find the graphics/art style perfectly aceptable. the audio/sounds sound great as well, and im talking from a content perspective as opposed to a technical perspective.

I reckon i aught to finish this game before i get Twilight Princess.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 5, 2006 at 01:42 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 02:05 AM

I'm talking about the graphics out the N64 itself via S-Video. It looks awful and cloudy. The GC version is much cleaner video.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

Myself, I throw Zelda into an emulator and crank up the graphics. Majora's Mask looked amazing..
Are you using sixtyforce? I may give that a try, what settings did you bump, I have a Dual 2.5 with 256MB 9800

thanks

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 01:02 PM

I have a Cube version of that. It doesn't look different to me. I think it's just running in emulation. Are there two Cube versions?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I have a Cube version of that. It doesn't look different to me. I think it's just running in emulation. Are there two Cube versions?
The only thing different is that there is not anti-aliasing in the Cube version, but it is running at 640x480 instead of the original 320x240 with AA. Still the same 20FPS as it was originally designed run and characters animated at. I like the Cube one for the higher res, but there is essentially no difference other than that.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 04:28 PM

Twilight Princess opening sequence (11MB).

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Twilight Princess opening sequence (11MB).
I'll save everyone the trouble of waiting:
"Look at those graphics! My Virtual Boy had better looking games than that."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise View Post
I'll save everyone the trouble of waiting:
"Look at those graphics! My Virtual Boy had better looking games than that."
Hahahahaha.

Forum Links
Forum Rules