Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 124)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Which is retarded. If the 360 was $150 my girlfriend would buy one today.
What does she want to play on it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 12:43 PM

She loves Guitar Hero and she's very jealous of my Netflix streaming abilities. She uses my Netflix account, but only on her shitty 17" LCD.

Right now she has my modded original Xbox with XBMC on it. It only has the original 5GB drive but when my buddy gets back (the one who is the XBMC guru) I'm going to throw the biggest HD in it that it will take. She D/Ls alot of stuff, but has no way of streaming it to her TV, the xbox will help in that regard, but not with Netflix and/or GH.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 12:49 PM

The Netflix thing is huge.

Speaking of which, does anyone have trouble with it readjusting playback for an internet change often? I noticed this started happening in February and finally concluded its only happens during damned peak hours (I'm on DSL, so I know its not me).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 01:38 PM

It works great for me, better than it ever worked on my iMac.

Great picture quality, quick buffering, and no skips or restarts.

The only time it's ever been busy is one Sunday like 5 months ago it conked out at the end of Close Encounters of the Third kind (which the g/f never saw before, and she missed the best damn part) and wouldn't start.

Since then it's been perfect. I've been using the hell out of it too.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 01:41 PM

You also have a connection that goes well beyond anything they could throw at you, though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 01:50 PM

I'm still below the HD requirements though, at only 6Mb/sec.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 01:52 PM

Also the 360 is loud with a game in, I've gotten used to this, but is there any reason for it's loudness when using NXE/Netflix?

I'm tempted to build some sort of vented/soundproof container for the 360 to sit in.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 01:55 PM

Really? My mistake. Still, I've heard you can get HD at 5 Mbs and up.

Edit: What I'm suffering from
Netflix's aspiration is to "deliver to everyone the best bitrate that their broadband connection can support," also noting that congestion "could affect some users, but not others, at some times, but not always."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2009, 02:02 PM

Which is retarded. If the 360 was $150 my girlfriend would buy one today.
They go for about that much used.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
They go for about that much used.
Graaaar, used 360s scare sek! Graaaar!

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Really? My mistake. Still, I've heard you can get HD at 5 Mbs and up.
Hmmm, who knows, by now you know I tend to get some of my facts muddled up. At any rate I can't test it since I still have a SDTV.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 02:24 PM

Hmmm, who knows, by now you know I tend to get some of my facts muddled up. At any rate I can't test it since I still have a SDTV.
Ah, that's it. I may have read it detects whether the 360 is hooked up to HDMI.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 02:25 PM

I was just able to play HD Serenity on my iMac, however, the quality doesn't appear that much better than SD. Maybe that's just Silverlight, I'll try it in XP.

Edit: Same quality in XP, a little jumpy too. I think I'm at the low-end of the streaming HD spectrum over here.

Rumor
Apr 9, 2009, 02:26 PM

I was just able to play HD Serenity on my iMac, however, the quality doesn't appear that much better than SD. Maybe that's just Silverlight, I'll try it in XP.
XP uses Silverlight as well.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 02:27 PM

Your mom uses Silverlight.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2009, 02:27 PM

Also the 360 is loud with a game in, I've gotten used to this, but is there any reason for it's loudness when using NXE/Netflix?

I'm tempted to build some sort of vented/soundproof container for the 360 to sit in.
If it's vented it can't be soundproof.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Rumor
Apr 9, 2009, 02:40 PM

Your mom uses Silverlight.
Better than the Flash your mom uses.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
XP uses Silverlight as well.
I see. Things have changed drastically since I last used Watch Instantly on the computer.

Safari (Leopard)

IE6 (XP)

I used to always get "High" quality in XP before the Silverlight switch. The quality in Leopard has always been "Basic."

In contrast, I get nothing but full quality when viewing through my 360.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If it's vented it can't be soundproof.
Yes indeed, but a material that can absorb the high-pitched whine would be a great improvement.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Better than the Flash your mom uses.
My mom is a saint you take that back

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 02:58 PM

My mom is a saint...
...in bed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2009, 03:20 PM

Graaaar, used 360s scare sek! Graaaar!
What, you're worried they might be noisy, unreliable and die randomly?
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 03:38 PM

Yep, basically everything my 360s did with the notable exception of a replacement plan.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2009, 03:59 PM

As long as it's less than three years old, a used 360 would have the same coverage as a new one, wouldn't it?
Chuck
___

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2009, 04:56 PM

From Microsoft, yes, but I prefer the replacement plan route. No need to send anything in for repairs, plus, unless the unit gets the RRoD fixing it could actually cost money.

Right now I could bring my fully working 360 to BB and get a new unit, they don't even bother checking them anymore.

Rumor
Apr 9, 2009, 05:15 PM

Hmph, I just got my first system freeze while play Bioshock.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2009, 07:35 PM

You stay classy, GameStop.

The alleged practice of GameStop lending new copies of games to employees at their stores and then later selling those games as new, unused copies, may be a violation of federal law.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2009, 07:20 AM

Nielsen are idiots.

Looks like they switched the Wii/360 & Gamecube/XBOX Data points for January 2009.
lol, cheers for posting that. Besides Kotaku, where else do you get your Gaming news fix(es)?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2009, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
lol, cheers for posting that. Besides Kotaku, where else do you get your Gaming news fix(es)?
I keep RSS feeds from Joystiq, Kotaku, and Ars Gaming up in my news reader. There tends to be a lot of overlap between Joystiq and Kotaku, but I generally prefer Joystiq - the writers at Kotaku can get quite annoying.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2009, 08:11 AM

I generally like Gamestop, and don't have a problem at all with their used game business. But if I buy a new game there and they try to sell me one of the discs in a sleeve, I won't have any of it. I either get a new SEALED copy of the game or I don't buy it from them. Their little sticker over the case does not a sealed game make.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2009, 08:21 AM

I keep RSS feeds from Joystiq, Kotaku, and Ars Gaming up in my news reader. There tends to be a lot of overlap between Joystiq and Kotaku, but I generally prefer Joystiq - the writers at Kotaku can get quite annoying.
Yeah, I find that Ars is good because they tend to write in language that I understand. Not being a 'hard core' gamer, alot of quotes and phrases on sites like Kotaku and Joystiq go straight over my head.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2009, 02:20 AM

Nielsen are idiots.

Looks like they switched the Wii/360 & Gamecube/XBOX Data points for January 2009.
So, if im reading this right.... the Wii got more play than any other current-gen console on sale for the first time this past january ? even beating out the XB360 for the first time ? So would it be a fair deduction that Wii owners want more content (ie: willing to pay for compelling content) than before ?

@Jokell82:Regarding investing in Wii development is "fool's gold".... despite the NPD figures posted earlier in this thread. I might be a Nintendo fanboy, but even I was not that disillusioned to discredit the PS2's market potential in the previous generation.

With regard to quoting 'analysts', their opinions are a dime a dozen, and given their record of predicting this generation of consoles, i wouldn't even pay them a dime for it, let alone quote them in support of my opinion or point of view. Their opinions usually seem very subjective(kinda like they were paid to voice em, or just to make headlines).... numbers on the other hand, arent. I assume that if you can tell which number is bigger than the other, chances are you can make up your own mind.

Cheers

PS>>Here's where i usually get my gaming fixes.... Joystick, Kotaku, GoNintendo .... and for less biased news/info Edge, Game|Life, GameIndustry.biz, Gamasutra and ArsTechnica(gaming). Edge and Ars usually put together some interesting quantitative(based on numbers) analysis of different trends in the industry, which i find interesting.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 11, 2009 at 04:24 AM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So, if im reading this right.... the Wii got more play than any other current-gen console on sale for the first time this past january ? even beating out the XB360 for the first time ? So would it be a fair deduction that Wii owners want more content (ie: willing to pay for compelling content) than before ?
What I don't get is why the numbers from that graph don't match up with the numbers they posted previously.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Apr 13, 2009 at 02:32 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2009, 02:23 PM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2009, 02:28 PM

I don't think anyone says that - what they say is that quality third party titles (outside of Guitar Hero and Rock Band) do not sell.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 02:01 AM

Silent Hill coming to the Wii

According to the developers the primary SKU for this title is the Wii (with ports to the PS2 and PSP).

In my opinion, for a 'core' title to be a success, you probably need:
-recognizable brand
-AAA production
-high budget marketing

If you look at Wii titles..... the only third party title that has all of the above going for it is Guitar Hero(im not a fan) and maybe Resident Evil. Therefore i dont think its a huge surprise that they sold as well as they did.

Looking at the XB360/PS3..... the usual(third party) suspects..... Ratchet and Clank, GTA, Metal Gear, Resident Evil... those are probably the biggest sellers cause they have all 3 ingredients.

With Silent Hill, from what the IGN Wii team is saying.... the AAA production is there, the brand is there, the only wildcard right now, is the marketing..... and if pulled off well, could see some great sales. imo.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 14, 2009 at 03:15 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 06:07 AM

Which is a different story from what Wii fans said third party games needed before Mad World came out. I wonder, if this remake of Silent Hill doesn't sell, what is the excuse then? Was it missing some fourth item that only the next third party title will have?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 09:36 AM

And what's your excuse for Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Heavenly Sword, Lair, Bioshock(PS3), Kane & Lynch, Pure, Silent Hill 5, Sonic Unleashed(XB360 & PS3) ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 09:40 AM

And what's your excuse for Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Heavenly Sword, Lair, etc ?
Mirror's Edge - bad release date. It was lost in a sea of AAA titles and was not able to rise to the top.

Dead Space was considered a success by EA, and is a great game. So much so that they're making a Wii port, but I'm sure you'll find a way to complain about that.

Heavenly Sword and Lair both sucked really bad, and that's why they didn't sell.

Edit - and as for your other titles you added after your original post:

Bioshock (PS3) - Don't know the sales figures for it, but it was wildly successful on the PC and 360 first. My guess is the people who wanted to play it already had.

Kane & Lynch, Silent Hill 5, Sonic Unleashed - All HORRIBLE games. I thought you were saying the games had to be quality?

Pure - Dunno, never heard of it. It was reviewed pretty well (80% or so), but where's the marketing that you said was so essential for success?

So should I start naming third party titles that were a success on the PS3 or 360? Not sure you'd want to read that long of a list...
( Last edited by jokell82; Apr 14, 2009 at 09:48 AM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 10:00 AM

Actually, to support your specific argument against Wii software sales, i'd be a lot more interested in the list of Wii third party games, you consider to be 'AAA'(production and marketing) ? that SHOULD have sold more.

PS>>Nice work with the excuses, i'll be sure to rehash em for different Wii games that wont sell.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 11:21 AM

Actually, to support your specific argument against Wii software sales, i'd be a lot more interested in the list of Wii third party games, you consider to be 'AAA'(production and marketing) ? that SHOULD have sold more.

PS>>Nice work with the excuses, i'll be sure to rehash em for different Wii games that wont sell.
The list of games I thought should have done better on the Wii would start with the following:
Mad World
No More Heroes
Boom Blox
Okami
Zack and Wiki

Of course, I also think the Wii lacks software quality across the board. If you look at the top games from the 360 on MetaCritic, not a single one in the top 20 goes under a score of 90. For the PS3, nothing goes below an 88. The Wii has 12 games in the top 20 under 90%, and the lowest score is an 83. That includes first party titles (take out first party and rock band/. It's hard for games to sell when they all suck.

But this all goes back to the fact that I don't even think the Wii is a console meant for gamers - it's meant for people who thought Snood was the greatest game of the past decade. And that's exactly what the sales charts and released games show.

Also, the only "excuse" you could say I listed was for Mirror's Edge. But it's also the excuse the developers gave for the poor sales. It was released 4 days after Gears of War 2, one of the most anticipated games on the 360. But there were many more games released in that time frame (Fallout 3 comes to mind) that had established fan bases that is hard for a new IP to compete with.

If Mirror's Edge had been released around now, I think it would have done a LOT better.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2009, 12:06 PM

Kane & Lynch - All HORRIBLE games. I thought you were saying the games had to be quality?

Pure - Dunno, never heard of it. It was reviewed pretty well (80% or so), but where's the marketing that you said was so essential for success?
Kane & Lynch is a GREAT game and gathered enough of a following that a movie based on the game is now in production. Of course, it will probably suck (though I'll admit just because of the source material it has a better chance than other movie games), but that it happened is something.

Pure had plenty of marketing, and I don't know how you didn't hear about it. It was also reviewed well, but unfortunately I heard it still sold poorly. I wanted to pick it up, just haven't yet.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Kane & Lynch is a GREAT game...
Really? 65 score on MetaCritic and a 2.7 user score. I don't know anyone that would call that "GREAT".

Edit - Although I will admit that my "HORRIBLE" description was hyperbolic. I will say they were mediocre at best.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 02:54 PM

Since you're talking about third party titles… a friend of me who has the japanese Wii got this game from Capcom, "Tatsunoko vs Capcom", while there is no way I can play something that fast, I have to say the game is really nice, and looks great. It is only available for the Wii.

( Last edited by angelmb; Apr 15, 2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I mistook Capcom for Namco)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 02:57 PM

Those screens look very good for a Wii game.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2009, 03:13 PM

Agreed, very slick for a Wii game, of course compare them to screens of DOA4 (which came out in 2005) and it's less impressive.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2009, 04:34 PM

If the goal is a cartoon look, I'd say the Wii is better.
Chuck
___

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 06:51 PM

@jokell82
Mad World - what are the sales figures for this game again ? it came out less than a month ago.

No More Heroes - really ? you consider this game a AAA product ? It's getting a sequel if that means anything.

Boom Blox - this is a AAA game ? apparently EA thought it did well and is making a sequel.

Okami - again ? AAA ? it's a PS2 port...and a bad one at that. either way, it sold more on Wii (actual sales) than on the PS2. since you know the difference in installed base of the PS2/Wii, ill let you figure out what the attach rate way.

Zack and Wiki - again ? AAA marketing budget ? people who did hear about the game couldn't even find it in stores.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 07:35 PM

@jokell82
Mad World - what are the sales figures for this game again ? it came out less than a month ago.

No More Heroes - really ? you consider this game a AAA product ? It's getting a sequel if that means anything.

Boom Blox - this is a AAA game ? apparently EA thought it did well and is making a sequel.

Okami - again ? AAA ? it's a PS2 port...and a bad one at that. either way, it sold more on Wii (actual sales) than on the PS2. since you know the difference in installed base of the PS2/Wii, ill let you figure out what the attach rate way.

Zack and Wiki - again ? AAA marketing budget ? people who did hear about the game couldn't even find it in stores.
MadWorld - 170,000 (approx). Hardly a runaway success.

So until there is a Wii exclusive game with a million dollar advertising budget no games count, eh? Love your rationalization...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 08:05 AM

MadWorld - 170,000 (approx). Hardly a runaway success.
Your source for that information was VGChartz, right ? nuff said

So until there is a Wii exclusive game with a million dollar advertising budget no games count, eh? Love your rationalization...
Noooooo of course not. all advertising dollars should goto XB360/PS3 games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, and when a Wii game doesn't sell, people like you can blame the Wii or it's user base.

By the way, the only 'AAA' game in your list of Wii titles was MadWorld, and your sales figures were taken from a questionable source (despite it being on sale for under a month).

Boom Blox ? While EA poured resources into Dead Space and Mirror's edge, the Wii gets Boom Blox ? yeah thats a proportional investment given the size of each console's installed base.

When a Wii game gets the production value and marketing budget similar to a XB360/PS3 game, your argument will have a leg to stand on. until then there is next-to no proof to your claim. Given the information we have thus far .... your perception is better applied to consoles(XB360/PS3) which have seen high budget titles bomb.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 15, 2009 at 08:17 AM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Since you're talking about third party titles… a friend of me who has the japanese Wii got this game from Namco, "Tatsunoko vs Capcom", while there is no way I can play something that fast, I have to say the game is really nice, and looks great. It is only available for the Wii.
That begs the question..... would it really have been that hard to bring SFIV to the Wii ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2009, 08:46 AM

I don't think I was living in a cave, but I didn't see a single advertisement for Dead Space or Mirror's Edge outside of my console. Meanwhile Boom Blox had the Spielberg name attached to it - I'm sure that was cheap...

I wonder what reason you give for successful games WITHOUT large marketing budgets. They just defy the odds?

Forum Links
Forum Rules