Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution

Nintendo Revolution (Page 19)
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 07:33 AM

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 09:16 AM

Hmmmm..... why two 'i's ? is it possible the Wii will come with 2 controller's ?

PS>> ive been saying/thinking Nintendo Wii over the past few days....and it really doesnt sound half as bad as i thought at first. in fact, it sounds fine....and i just pronounce it "we". i think it'll find a place just like yahoo, google, virgin, bandaid(which meant quite a different thing in the swingin 60s), iPod, Apple, etc..... now..... for the games

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb

Awesome!

deomacius
Senior User
Apr 29, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb

I needed that laugh this morning!

You reap what you sow.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Hmmmm..... why two 'i's ? is it possible the Wii will come with 2 controller's ?
Could be, I think was NOA's George Harrison who said it was an option they were evaluating.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 29, 2006, 04:29 PM

I wonder if Nintendo already chose their spokesperson...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2006, 12:12 AM

I'd like to retract my green-putting joke.
( Last edited by MindFad; Apr 30, 2006 at 01:17 PM. )

MinM
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 12:52 AM

She's 16, for what it's worth.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 08:01 AM

Anyone seen the Nintendo keynote passes for journalists ? they seem to be coded into different "regions" ...... like "mushroom kingdom", "yoshi's island",etc.... wiierd.

Also in news...Reggie let it slip that they will be showing a racing game on the Wii that takes advantage of the Wiimote.

EA, custom building Madden for the Wii...an entire studio in B.C is apparently working on it.

Sadness.... a "game" ive got on my radar, is being developed by a studio in Poland that's custom built for the Wii...the game will be in black n white...and is a very mature title apparently. I'm truely looking forward to some of the indie games coming from studios ive never heard of..... i remember when "Retro" was the new guy and boy did they make their mark.

(quote)
Sadness is a game "only for adult players with strong nerves." The gothic-horror title, produced completely in black and white, revolves around a disturbed female named Maria Lengyel and focuses on themes such as schizophrenia or narcolepsy. Nibris plans to utilize the Wii controller in innovative ways that might add to the intense mood of the game.
(/quote) - http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/417 -

Dagnamit...9 days hurry up already !!!

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 30, 2006 at 08:09 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2006, 09:18 AM

Yes, here the media ticket & letter

detailed view, Yoshi's Island version

If you visit Nibris' site, (studio working on Sadness), you get this advice,

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MinM
She's 16, for what it's worth.
Perfect to capture more teenage golfer gamers then.

BTW, Canon's spokesperson only recently turned 19:

Originally Posted by MindFad
I'd like to retract my green putting joke.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2006, 01:18 PM

I'll make the joke again in two years. Or if I move to Europe somewhere.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2006, 07:07 PM

Yah, Wii is kinda growing on me. But it's a bit like the name Sean, I always pronounce it different in my head than I do reading it.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2006, 01:58 AM

Really cool article on the whole Revolution -> Wii

Cheers

http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3150107

Salty
Professional Poster
May 1, 2006, 02:13 AM

Yah that one wasn't that bad.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by starman
too bad it won't happen.
History has shown us that high end consoles are unlikely to succeed, sega had to drop out of the hardware market, the xbox wouldn't be around without microsofts deep pockets, I think this is because anyone who cares about this games on a pc.
Actually now that its sunk in..... it's alright i guess. i just saw the animation on Nintendo's website, and it seems cool. i think if you pronounce it "Y" its better, but We is ok. im just going to call it "Nintendo" cause it'll play games from every Nintendo console.

if it were upto me, i would call it the "wii", but i think considering the fact that the Asian market cant pronounce "revolution", Nintendo had to change it. but yeah....oh well.

I'm hoping for some great games in 10 days.

Cheers
I doubt its because of foreign pronunciation, Its hard to say D-S when you don't use a roman character set, not to mention saying 64 when you don't use a base ten counting system.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
History has shown us that high end consoles are unlikely to succeed, sega had to drop out of the hardware market, the xbox wouldn't be around without microsofts deep pockets, I think this is because anyone who cares about this games on a pc.
The Dreamcast had nothing to keep it afloat. No Mario, no FF, nothing. House of the Dead, Soul Calibur, and Sonic weren't enough.

The PS, Nintendo, and Xbox all have their own franchises to keep them in the running for a very long time.

Oh, and when was the last time I could play Mario, Crash Bandicoot or Final Fantasy X on a PC?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventur...il4/index.html

"Exclusive" is meaningless. There are any huge number of reasons games are exclusive. Either the development contract called for it originally, ports were called off due to poor sales on the original platform, the design and development team wish to move to new projects, a team disbands, they move to another platform etc.

Rare made Conker: Rare is now a first party for MS
Silicon Knights made Eternal Darkness: they are now working on too human for the xbox 360
Capcom made Resident Evil 4: As you see a ps2 port exists, Capcom sometimes does work closely with Nintendo as they have a good relationship, but dont try to make it out as more than that.

So again: you all got slapped down.
Metroid.
But anyway, what is wrong with catering to the younger and the more gamer newbie markets? They can be the basic-level game machine with fun (i.e. not sucky sponsored Web crap like neopets or unfun edutainment) games.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2006, 12:22 PM

definately one of the more humorous things about the Wii. lol...it's cool, that we dont have to take a gaming console so seriously after such a long time.

Cheers

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2006, 01:01 PM

definately one of the more humorous things about the Wii. lol...it's cool, that we dont have to take a gaming console so seriously after such a long time.
The Sony fanboys don't really understand the concept of having a sense of humor about a product you like.

I don't like the Wii name either. It's not like I'm freaking out about it or threatening to boycott Nintendo. I'll still buy one. Honestly, I don't really care that it has a silly name. I don't think anyone else will care either, except for people already not interested in the Revolution and looking for some sort of an excuse as to tell everyone that everyone else is wrong.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by starman
The Dreamcast had nothing to keep it afloat. No Mario, no FF, nothing. House of the Dead, Soul Calibur, and Sonic weren't enough.

The PS, Nintendo, and Xbox all have their own franchises to keep them in the running for a very long time.

Oh, and when was the last time I could play Mario, Crash Bandicoot or Final Fantasy X on a PC?
When could you play a good shooter or real time strategy on a console. besides I was talking about graphics capability.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2006, 05:52 PM

I am convinced the name must be a fake. It is soo soo bad.

This is what happens:

1) Nintendo comes up with the worst name possible.
2) Nintendo gets a TON of press for the bad name.
3) Nintendo announces because of "huge support from its fans" they have decided to change the name back to revolution.
4) Nintendo gets more press

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 03:03 AM

The Wii supports widescreen and 480p. Not that this will be good enough for the 1080i folks...

http://www.thegamefeed.com/news-d89f...b24ec18d3.html
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
The Wii supports widescreen and 480p. Not that this will be good enough for the 1080i folks...

480p is fine on a small TV, but 720p/1080i is vastly preferred on a medium-sized to large TV. Even on my 34" TV, the difference between 480p and 1080i is instantly obvious.

EDIT:

Think of it this way...

480p is only 640x480 or 720x480, whereas 720p is 1280x720.

When was the last time you played a Mac or PC game at 480p? These days 480p in a computer game is considered almost useless, whereas something like 1024x768 is the low end normal resolution, and 1280x1024 is considered a mid-end rez. The Xbox 360's 1280x720 is somewhere in between:

720 x 480 = 345600 pixels
1024 x 768 = 768432 pixels
1280 x 720 = 921600 pixels
1280 x 1024 = 1310730 pixels
1600 x 1200 = 1920000 pixels
1920 x 1080 = 2073600 pixels

I'm not saying that 480p games can't be fun, because they can be very fun of course. I suspect the Revo... errr... Wii... will have some great games which will look pretty good at 480p. I also think that many people will be happy with 480p, especially if their TVs aren't that big. However, like I said, the visual differences between 720p and 480p are instantly obvious on most HDTVs.

ie. If a game is fun at 480p, then the game will still be fun at 720p (if the hardware can crank out the framerates), but will look much better at 720p.

I look forward to 2011, when the Xbox 1080 and/or PS4 comes out, with native 1080p support for 2-million-pixel-goodness.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 2, 2006 at 09:35 AM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 10:10 AM

So what. So did the GameCube. Nintendo still didn't even support widescreen in their games, 480P you had to hold down a button combo to get it to enable.

480p also does't look that much better than 480i.

Before you say it is a small market:

"A recent study by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). has found that 49 percent of consumers say their next television will be some type of flat panel technology.

The industry trade association says about 17% of consumers currently own a flat panel display (FPD) such as the Panasonic plasma shown here and about half of consumers are familiar with the term 'flat panel TV'."

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/content/view/1209/51/

And that is just FLAT PANEL. It doesn't even take into account all the rear projection HD TV's.

By the end of next year the Wii will look like a dinosaur.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
So what. So did the GameCube. Nintendo still didn't even support widescreen in their games, 480P you had to hold down a button combo to get it to enable.

480p also does't look that much better than 480i.

Before you say it is a small market:

"A recent study by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). has found that 49 percent of consumers say their next television will be some type of flat panel technology.

The industry trade association says about 17% of consumers currently own a flat panel display (FPD) such as the Panasonic plasma shown here and about half of consumers are familiar with the term 'flat panel TV'."

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/content/view/1209/51/

And that is just FLAT PANEL. It doesn't even take into account all the rear projection HD TV's.

Just a note... A large number of flat panels sold are 480p, but yeah, HDTV is fast becoming the norm.

I too was surprised that Nintendo chose not to support 720p/1080i.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 10:45 AM

Well, they still have time to change it. I think they will. Hopefully. They really would be idiotic to be that shortsighted.

The Dev kit ships with component cables, so that's at least a good sign.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 10:46 AM

"We expect the dominant console at the end of the next cycle to be the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3), primarily due to our assessment that Sony will win the high definition DVD format war," the report explains. "However, we expect Microsoft’s Xbox 360 to enjoy a first mover advantage for the next two years, capturing approximately 42 percent of US and European combined next generation hardware unit sales through 2007."

The firm believes that the PS3 will capture 39 percent of the US and European market, with the Wii claiming 19 percent during the same two-year period. For the same two regions, WMS expects that "As consumers begin to purchase a second console, we think that market shares will normalize, with Sony capturing around 45 percent of the total"

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=2866&Itemid=2

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 10:53 AM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
Well, they still have time to change it. I think they will. Hopefully. They really would be idiotic to be that shortsighted.

The Dev kit ships with component cables, so that's at least a good sign.
How is component support a good sign? Even el-cheapo 480i DVD players have component outputs. (Yes, I have one.)

"We expect the dominant console at the end of the next cycle to be the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3), primarily due to our assessment that Sony will win the high definition DVD format war," the report explains. "However, we expect Microsoft’s Xbox 360 to enjoy a first mover advantage for the next two years, capturing approximately 42 percent of US and European combined next generation hardware unit sales through 2007."

The firm believes that the PS3 will capture 39 percent of the US and European market, with the Wii claiming 19 percent during the same two-year period. For the same two regions, WMS expects that "As consumers begin to purchase a second console, we think that market shares will normalize, with Sony capturing around 45 percent of the total"

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option...=2866&Itemid=2
From the same article:

Pachter and Woo also anticipate that third party publishers won't be as motivated to offer exclusive titles for the PS3 and Xbox 360, because of their similarities. This is where the Wii's distinctiveness could come into play, possibly driving hardware sales to exceed those of the GameCube.

We believe that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are far more similar than their predecessors were, and believe that the economics of game development will serve as a disincentive to third party publishers to offer exclusive content for either console. As a result, we think that Nintendo’s Wii, backed by the company’s deep library of high quality content, may surprise many by gaining a greater share of the market than did its predecessor, the GameCube."

You like this so much you're posting it twice on the same page?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 11:29 AM

Nah.... this thread is on gaming from Nintendo not on delivery of HD content imo. so i figured i'd make my contribution to that argument with more cowbell..... .... hopefully putting an end to that spec-fest and getting on to the more important things....games

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 11:31 AM

I think it's way to early to make judgements about the next gen console wars.

We need to see how the Wii and PS3 perform in real life and we need to know how much they cost.

There are too many unknown factors at this point.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
I think it's way to early to make judgements about the next gen console wars.

We need to see how the Wii and PS3 perform in real life and we need to know how much they cost.

There are too many unknown factors at this point.
I agree..in the end raw horsepower appeals only to the hardcoregamers, which is what... 1% of the world's population ? lol...exgageration of course. but i beleive to the vast majority, it isnt about GFLOPS, polygons, cores or HD....it's about the games.

And from what we know now...Nintendo is banking on it's entire back catalogue and totally new experiences as well, added to that...which i think has treamondous appeal to people who have been gaming since the days of the NES.

They might piss off, agitate and possibly even alienate a few hardcore games (like SWG here) by not catering to their needs of horsepower and HD, but they are focusing on the entire potential market by large...and part of that focus dictates the necessity of a lower price point and new genre's of gaming, which they have realized (someone had to). And well..it's paying off.... look at the DS.

Anyway...their strategy seems a heck of a lot better than what they did with the GCN. And thus far, they are executing it flawlessly imo...... sleek hardware, free online, better specs, complete backwards compatibility and a totally new gaming experience. in essence...this is the complete gaming system... nothings been left out as far as games. HD might be missing for the visuals, but not something i have to have to game...on the other side of the equassion...neither the PS3 or XB360 have the freehand controller, so they seem to be lacking a dimension for gaming purposes. And after all...we are talking gaming here, right ? and not HD content delivery.

Cheers

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 12:02 PM

Yes, it's about the games. And current gen games a look a heluvalot better at higher resolution. Yes, I'd rather have a good 480p game than a lousy 720p game, but a good game is even better at higher rez, and a good game is worse at lower rez. There's no getting around that.

P.S. I am unimpressed by the DS, but that's just me. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the PSP either.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 2, 2006 at 12:09 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Yes, it's about the games. And current gen games a look a heluvalot better at higher resolution. Yes, I'd rather have a good 480p game than a lousy 720p game, but a good game is even better at higher rez, and a good game is worse at lower rez. There's no getting around that.

P.S. I am unimpressed by the DS, but that's just me. Then again, I'm not a big fan of the PSP either.
Well i'm not arguing that higher rez wont make the visual fidelity better. thats a given....1080i/p is better than 480i/p anyday. sure..... BUT.... there are in excess of 6 billion people i nthe world today....a fraction of them own TVs, and even smaller fraction own HDs(or plan on getting HDTVs).

So if you polled people with any form of TV.... a fraction would indicate that HD is a priority....the fraction that own or plan on buying HDTVs in the near future. but how many of them would say no to 480p AND access to Nintendo's gaming library and the new freehand controller ?

That being said...some might argue..cant u have both ? well.... sony/microsoft dont seem to be pushing interactivity as much as they do their specs....why cant they do both ? Nintendo seems to be raising the bar on all aspects of gaming, not JUST visuals.

If it's about the games at the end of the day...how is alienating the casual gamers and non gamers who dont own/plan on buying HDTVs and are not willing to pay the rediculious MSRPs for these consoles just to use em on their SDTVs ? so at the end of the day....if majority of people were to invest in an XB360/PS3 most of em will be playing on a SDTV...on which it wont make a difference....except that it will cost em more for the hardware and software. Obviously Microsoft and Sony are pushing HD, cause thats the angle they have chosen for whatever reason..... but that just seems to raise the development costs.

Now im sure you can find a bazillion poles on the internet stating that by 2007 99.99% of households will have HDTV...but thats just it....people on the net answering those polls and not the general public. why did it take DVDs so long to overtake VHS ?

I think by keeping prices down(by excluding full HD support), focusing on gaming, building a system capable of delivering a complete gaming experience from alpha-to-omega (NES-to-Wii), building services to support it (Nintendo Wi-Fi) and keeping software prices in check with low development costs AND more importantly created a new paradigm to extend current genres and even create totally new ones...... they have made one hell of a gaming console. that wont exclude anyone.....

When 13-18 yr old guys n gals see a mario/zelda/cooking/nintendogs/music game...they'll want one.
when 18-25 yr old see the RPGs/RTSs/horror/metroid/FPSs games they'll want one....
when 25-40 yr old see a fishing/ music/ nintendogs/ braintraining/classic titles they'll want one....

And HD wont even come into the equation....cause when they are shown the PS3/XB360 and just the "same old trype" of games, with the same old controllers.... it wont really appeal to em in comparison even though it's in HD cause chances are they dont own an HDTV. try getting FPSs/RTS/fishing/music/cooking games on the other 2 consoles in the same way.....good luck. And that'll pull more ppl into gaming....low dev costs will definately encourage indi developer's...and well....thats all good karma. And the 1% of fanboys who feel alienated cause there's no HD and no 8 cores....well........ who cares ? lol

Thats just my crystal ball gazing there....it's not wishful thinking. cause i honestly dont care all that much. it's just looking at the strategy for the next gen...the target audience, the prices and the execution of the strategies. but yeah thats my opinion on the upcoming generation.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 2, 2006 at 12:57 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 12:55 PM

I think the Wii will be as ubiquitous as the NES. It may not be everyone's only console, but everyone will have one.

meelk
Baninated
May 2, 2006, 12:58 PM

You'll be so eating this after E3, if indicators of the final secret are true

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 12:58 PM

there are in excess of 6 billion people i nthe world today....a fraction of them own TVs, and even smaller fraction own HDs(or plan on getting HDTVs).
That's a useless number. 99.99% of those 6 billion people won't buy a Nintendo Wii either.

So if you polled people with any form of TV.... a fraction would indicate that HD is a priority....the fraction that own or plan on buying HDTVs in the near future. but how many of them would say no to 480p AND access to Nintendo's gaming library and the new freehand controller ?

That being said...some might argue..cant u have both ?
Exactly.

well.... sony/microsoft dont seem to be pushing interactivity as much as they do their specs....why cant they do both ? Nintendo seems to be raising the bar on all aspects of gaming, not JUST visuals.
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 will have better interactivity than the Wii. Interactivity in the sense of media centre unit.

If it's about the games at the end of the day...how is alienating the casual gamers and non gamers who dont own/plan on buying HDTVs and are not willing to pay the rediculious MSRPs for these consoles just to use em on their SDTVs ? so at the end of the day....if majority of people were to invest in an XB360/PS3 most of em will be playing on a SDTV...on which it wont make a difference....except that it will cost em more for the hardware and software. Obviously Microsoft and Sony are pushing HD, cause thats the angle they have chosen for whatever reason..... but that just seems to raid the development costs.
Games rule, but I would not have bought an Xbox 360 if it couldn't stream music over my home network.

When 13-18 yr old guys n gals see a mario/zelda/cooking/nintendogs/music game...they'll want one.
when 18-25 yr old see the RPGs/RTSs/horror/metroid/FPSs games they'll want one....
when 25-40 yr old see a fishing/ music/ nintendogs/ braintraining/classic titles they'll want one....
Everyone I know that bought a console the last time around bought an Xbox or PS2. That includes my teenager relatives and acquaintances.

Ironically, the only person I know that bought a GameCube was SWG.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 2, 2006 at 01:06 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

The 'poll' i am interested in seeing is this one:

"if you do NOT own a gaming console, which one most interests you.... XB360, PS3 or Wii ?"

I'm no portable gamer...but i am most probably going to pick up a DS lite JUST FOR the new Super Mario Brothers.

Nintendogs, brain training, etc... only has me curious, but not necessarily interested. but i do see their value to other segments of the population(not just gaming population), and i admire the fact that Nintendo aimed to and succeeded in attracting demographics outside ur typical gamers. pretty good for a console most critics were writing off when it launched eh ?

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 2, 2006 at 01:33 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That's a useless number. 99.99% of those 6 billion people won't buy a Nintendo Wii either.

Exactly.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect that both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 will have better interactivity than the Wii. Interactivity in the sense of media centre unit.

Games rule, but I would not have bought an Xbox 360 if it couldn't stream music over my home network.

Everyone I know that bought a console the last time around bought an Xbox or PS2. That includes my teenager relatives and acquaintances.

Ironically, the only person I know that bought a GameCube was SWG.
oh...let me clear something up. i never said that the Wii would see to everyone. market share is irrelevant to me....it doesnt matter. what matter;s is, catering to everyone soeveryone can actually enjoy gaming..or have the opportunity to enjoy it. (Price is one of those barriers by the way).

doing both ?....XB360/PS3 are aiming to be media centers...im talking pure gaming here. interactivity isnt when you change the channel on ur TV set it's interacting with a game...thats what i meant. but yeah..the XB360/PS3 are heavily weighting the importance of graphics and horsepower over interactivity and all-access gaming . why do i say that ? they opted for higher priced hardware and software...thus cutting off people who wouldnt spend that much on a console to begin with....and they havent changed the controllers or introduces the ability to cater to new genres capable of attracting people outside the 'technophile' demographic. The Wii on the other hand, IN ADDITION TO improved specs and visuals from it's predecissor, has a lower price point, complete backwards compatibility for every gaming genre introduced sinec the NES and then on top of that a new device that'll usher in totally new genres....just like what the DS did, and thus creating treamondous potential to attract non-gamers....just like the DS did.

So yeah..interactivity....networking and streaming media dont really fall into that category. the controller and genres of games do.

Streaming music ? might i suggest Airport Express ?..it works with your mac, and all the songs you baught through iTMS and it's a wireless router and costsa lot less the XB360.

Well i dont know about you, but of all the people i know...2 own PS2, 2 own XBoxes and 2(including me) own a GCN. Now im sure there are 20 million other GCN owners out there, unless Nintendo botched their numbers..... and how many NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS owners ?

So yeah..if you want to discuss gaming...thats cool. thats what im looking forward to in the Wii...the other bells and whistles..i can have my Mac do for me...and i wont have to pay for the redundancy.

But yeah...marketshare is not really the benchmark here. it's appeal. The PS2 definately had it cause of the games that were made for it....i'll say it here..it appealed to a wider demographic than the GCN or XBox.....cause of the Games. sadly....Sony's new direction (strategy, goals, execution) seems to be focusing on a narrow niche. which kinda limits it's appeal.

Where Sony and Microsoft fail is marketing their consoles to non-gamers...they dont seem to want to get people into gaming...they just want to get their box into the living room.... and thats where Nintendo has recognized their strenghts and the opportunity i nthe marketplace. and i think they'll make a killing this coming generation because of that.

G'night.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:27 PM

I'm no portable gamer...but i am most probably going to pick up a DS lite JUST FOR the new Super Mario Brothers. Nintendogs, brain training, etc...
Cheers
Even if it was on the PSP I can't picture anyone who isn't a young asian girl playing Nintendogs.

I mean what the hell is wrong with you?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:29 PM

Lol...i said ill be getting it for the mario brothers.

i couldnt care less for Nitnendogs.... it doesnt appeal to me. but i do admire the fact that Nintendo is catering to non-gamers with those games.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2006, 01:34 PM

The first American tagline for Wii better not be...

"Wii will rock you"
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 01:35 PM

Even if it was on the PSP I can't picture anyone who isn't a young asian girl playing Nintendogs.

I mean what the hell is wrong with you?
What you picture and what is true are quite often different things. The American Nintendogs sales numbers, for one thin, seem to say otherwise.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 01:39 PM

On the streaming media front, I think streaming media will be one of the reasons XBox 360 wins out over the PS3. The XBox 360 really is innovative in the way it handles media. Myself, I don't care that much about it. I don't really want to keep my media on my Windows machine. I'm waiting for a Mac Mini that finally could be called a media center.

If the PS3 includes any media functionality, more than likely Sony will screw it up. "And the best part is... the PS3 can be streamed all your ATRAC audio!"

I would even venture to say XBox 360's media handling, if it doesn't render the idea of a movie on optical media irrelevant, will boost HD-DVD attachment sales.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 01:43 PM

What you picture and what is true are quite often different things. The American Nintendogs sales numbers, for one thin, seem to say otherwise.
The sales numbers show 20 something year old males are buying Nintendogs?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 01:57 PM

Streaming music ? might i suggest Airport Express ?..it works with your mac, and all the songs you baught through iTMS and it's a wireless router and costsa lot less the XB360.
Kinda useless without a remote or an on-screen menu.

On the streaming media front, I think streaming media will be one of the reasons XBox 360 wins out over the PS3. The XBox 360 really is innovative in the way it handles media. Myself, I don't care that much about it. I don't really want to keep my media on my Windows machine. I'm waiting for a Mac Mini that finally could be called a media center.

If the PS3 includes any media functionality, more than likely Sony will screw it up. "And the best part is... the PS3 can be streamed all your ATRAC audio!"

I would even venture to say XBox 360's media handling, if it doesn't render the idea of a movie on optical media irrelevant, will boost HD-DVD attachment sales.
Yeah, I really wonder if Sony might be able to do something right software-wise for a change with the PS3's media centre functions. The PS3 hardware will be good for media centre stuff, but it all comes down to implementation. MS has done a wonderful job with the Xbox 360 in this regard, and I say this as someone not even able to access the streaming video capabilities of that machine (since my media "server" is an iMac, not a Windows MCE PC).

BTW, you don't even need a computer to access AAC (or WMA or MP3) encoded music on the Xbox 360. Just plug in your iPod or USB pen drive or whatever and you're good to go. It's an amazingly powerful little feature that even non-HD-geek Joe Schmoe types can relate to.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 2, 2006 at 02:11 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

Apple is handing out computers for free now?

Or are you assuming everyone has a Mac?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 02:13 PM

Apple is handing out computers for free now?

Or are you assuming everyone has a Mac?
a) If you can afford the 360 it the AirPort is probably in your price range too.
b) Airport Express works with PCs.

If you aren't running MCE on your PC, it's probably the better solution, for now. Microsoft's integration is tough to beat though.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2006, 02:23 PM

If you aren't running MCE on your PC, it's probably the better solution, for now. Microsoft's integration is tough to beat though.
As I said earlier, Airport Express is utterly useless for me, since there is no remote, nor is there an on-screen menu. And I don't feel like running upstairs to my iMac every time I want to change a song.

If you can afford the 360 it the AirPort is probably in your price range too.
...although the fact that you may need a $1000 laptop to go with it might just prove problematic for some. See above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules