Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 19)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 10:50 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2006, 11:23 PM

Lowest rating I've seen thus far.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 12:32 AM

Played the Wii tonight, here is my opinion (Excite Truck is the demo game):

First thing I did was pick up the Wiimote in pointer mode because the game was in pause. Unlike what SWG says, you do not have to keep the controller level with the sensor bar. I pointed directly at the TV and it worked. I started the game and assumed it would take me a while to get used to, but it worked perfect. I made small movements, no large movements, and it worked perfectly. Took 1st in Excite Truck (not that exciting of a game, not picking it up at launch). No lag. Overall it was perfect.

I walked out with Raving Rabids though. It's staying in the shrinkwrap until I get my Wii, but consider it my show of faith in the Wii.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Played the Wii tonight, here is my opinion (Excite Truck is the demo game):

First thing I did was pick up the Wiimote in pointer mode because the game was in pause. Unlike what SWG says, you do not have to keep the controller level with the sensor bar.
Sorry I don't remember reviewing or using a Wii and saying that. Do you mean I linked to 5-10 journalists reviews that said that?

Can you also fill us in how Excite Truck is "overall perfect" yet "not that exciting of a game, not picking it up". Strange for a perfect title.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 02:50 AM

Zelda:

GameSpot: 8.8
Wii Launch Center - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Review - Wii News at GameSpot

IGN: 9.5
IGN: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Review

In compairison:

Gears of war:

Gamespot: 9.6
Gears of War for Xbox 360 Review - Xbox 360 Gears of War Review

COD3: (xbox 360)

Gamespot: 8.8
Call of Duty 3 for Xbox 360 Review - Xbox 360 Call of Duty 3 Review

Fear: 8.6
F.E.A.R. for Xbox 360 Review - Xbox 360 F.E.A.R. Review

Resistance:

Gamespot: 8.6
Resistance: Fall of Man for PlayStation 3 Review - PlayStation 3 Resistance: Fall of Man Review

IGN: 9.1
IGN: Resistance: Fall of Man Review

So what is going on here? How are these games close or better than the legendary 100 hour Zelda (Gears is 10 hours max).

Is it the graphics? If so they must be important to some people.

Is it that they are "Fun" AND "Pretty", no that's impossible!

In other words all 3 systems are neck to neck in quality games now. The PS3 and Xbox games are not missing fun factor that the Wii seems to be saving us all from.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2006, 02:51 AM

Er…I think he meant the interaction with the system was perfect, but the game was boring.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Er…I think he meant the interaction with the system was perfect, but the game was boring.
Looks like that might be the right way to interpret it.

"The visuals in Excite Truck aren't very pretty up close. The road textures are poorly defined, and the truck models are decent without really standing out. Additionally, when you're playing at 480p resolution, the game actually looks a little worse. Everything gets too sharp, making jagged edges really stick out and causing some weird horizontal banding to show up on smoke and a few other objects. "

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/...ml?sid=6161717

For a system that is more powerful than an Xbox 1 the poor visuals are rather odd.

"Excite Truck's control and speed give it a good amount of potential, but there just isn't enough of a game here to keep you excited for very long. Ultimately, it feels more like a tech demo than a full-fledged game."

Just like I said months ago.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 03:05 AM

Well, you've got me convinced. No Wii for me.

Psych! Give it up, already.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Sorry I don't remember reviewing or using a Wii and saying that. Do you mean I linked to 5-10 journalists reviews that said that?

Can you also fill us in how Excite Truck is "overall perfect" yet "not that exciting of a game, not picking it up". Strange for a perfect title.
I was mostly commenting on how your dissection of the Wii's controls were... hmmmm... how do I put it delicately.... wrong?

Excite Truck is not the game for me. I just wanted to try the controls really.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Is it the graphics? If so they must be important to some people.
Did you read the Gamespot review at all? It said they had issues with the sound quality, they loved the graphics.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 05:35 AM

A portion of an IGN review…

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the greatest Zelda game ever created and one of the best launch titles in the history of launch titles – second only, perhaps, to the at-the-time ground-breaking Super Mario 64. It is also one of the finest games I have ever played. The experience is made better and not worse on Wii. The Wii remote and nunchuk add accuracy and speed to exploration and combat for a heightened sense of immersion. Nintendo’s new console ships with Wii Sports, which effectively demonstrates a new breed of games only possible on Wii. The Zelda franchise is equally exclusive to the machine and Twilight Princess is must-see, must-play and must-own entry into the series that proves over and over again why Nintendo is the best developer in the world.

So for half the price, you get games just as good as something that costs double..... hmmmmmmmmm tough decision.

So i guess the question to games (who read a lot of reviews) is.... why would you pay double for the same quality of games ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 18, 2006 at 05:50 AM. )

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 07:23 AM

So, how many of you non-Gamecube owners are planning on getting a few Gamecube controllers and a memory card to play cheaper Gamecube games?

Good luck on your Wii quest, goMac.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 11:20 AM

Did you read the Gamespot review at all? It said they had issues with the sound quality, they loved the graphics.
No, I am talking about how gears of war and the other games got such HIGH scores if they are supposedly nothing but nice graphics.

Do you think they might have actually been fun on a non-nintendo platform?

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 01:26 PM

Or maybe the gameplay was good too.
Seems that was already addressed.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So for half the price, you get games just as good as something that costs double..... hmmmmmmmmm tough decision.

So i guess the question to games (who read a lot of reviews) is.... why would you pay double for the same quality of games ?
Maybe because we want to play Halo, Gears of War, Forza, etc etc?

Or that we want to have a console that has excellent graphics?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2006, 02:14 PM

This thread makes me sad that I probably won't be able to get a Wii for quite a while, not having preordered one. Oh well, I still need to finish FFXII anyway.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 02:42 PM

This thread makes me sad that I probably won't be able to get a Wii for quite a while, not having preordered one. Oh well, I still need to finish FFXII anyway.
If you get out a few hours early tomorrow you should be able to get one. Unit counts generally seem to be high.

Use Wiiseeker:
Wiiseeker - Find a Nintendo Wii Near Home

Edit: Called the only store in Seattle doing a midnight launch and they've already got 20 in line. :-\ I really don't want to have to wait in a launch line. We'll see...
( Last edited by goMac; Nov 18, 2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: I know English, I swear.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2006, 02:50 PM

Whoa, the Target just down the road is getting 81. And I don't live in a very populous area, so they'll probably have some to spare. Thanks for the tip.
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 03:22 PM

For Dark Helmet, from GameRankings

95.7% - Average score for Zelda
94.9% - Average score for Gears of War

At least you've shown you know how to pick and choose. Why don't you just play your 360 instead of wasting time here trying to convince everyone that the Wii sucks?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
For Dark Helmet, from GameRankings

95.7% - Average score for Zelda
94.9% - Average score for Gears of War

At least you've shown you know how to pick and choose. Why don't you just play your 360 instead of wasting time here trying to convince everyone that the Wii sucks?

Because the world isn't safe until everyone hates the Wii.

I personally won't be buying one for a few months and some games that interest me come out.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 05:20 PM

I'll be surprised if you won't be able to walk into a store and buy one on Christmas eve. Nintendo plans to have 4 million units out by then, and if they're all sold out then it will have been the most successful launch in history.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 06:42 PM

There was about 10 people waiting at Walmart for the Wii. I must say the PS3 graphics looked amazing on the demo unit, some off-roading game. I still want a Wii more, I will try tonight to get one, but I don't get it until Christmas anyway

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 09:49 PM

Update: My wife is going over now to see how long the line is, if the line is under 50 I will have one at midnight and I get to play with it for a little bit and give my lil review.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 10:49 PM

For those of you in the northwest, select Fred Meyers are doing a midnight launch. 70-100 units each. I'm going to try to get one.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 10:52 PM

IGN has just posted its Madden 07 Review. They gave it an 8.5. They also praised the new controller (with the kicking system the only exception) as great fun.

Aside form kicking and big hits though, the game controls absolutely phenomenally. Passing rocks, maneuvering on the field is amazingly intuitive and fast, and everyone that got their hands on Madden 07 had a blast. One editor stated that Madden 07 for Wii was the first game that truly convinced him to pick up a Wii for himself. Mind you, we've been playing games like Wii Sports and Zelda: Twilight Princess over the last few weeks, and this editor isn't a fan of the Madden series at all. If you want your answer to whether or not Madden 07 is a perfect fit for Wii, you just got it.
Exciting. I'm getting a Wii.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 11:08 PM

2 more hours.. ahahah I can't wait, wonder what games she,s getting me?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2006, 11:14 PM

For those of you in the northwest, select Fred Meyers are doing a midnight launch. 70-100 units each. I'm going to try to get one.
Most Gamestops and EBs are as well, though they only announced it yesterday.

Alas, the one near me has refused to do a midnight release. I can't say I blame them, though; it's not all that far from the place where someone was killed for his place in line for the PS3, and they're worried about security.

So it's Monday evening for me.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
2 more hours.. ahahah I can't wait, wonder what games she,s getting me?
I'm glad for you.

Post your impressions later tonight if possible. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Most Gamestops and EBs are as well, though they only announced it yesterday.

Alas, the one near me has refused to do a midnight release. I can't say I blame them, though; it's not all that far from the place where someone was killed for his place in line for the PS3, and they're worried about security.

So it's Monday evening for me.
Gamestop and EB really need a pre-order to get one though.

If you live near a Wal-Mart "Supercenter" they are doing midnight launch as well.

Some Toys R Us's are too. For example, the Bellevue, WA one is.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 11:27 PM

Post your impressions later tonight if possible. I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.
I will try, I am sure we will be dead tired by the time it gets here and is hooked up.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 11:30 PM

If anyone wants to buy my (in perfect shape XBox 360), check out my ad in the marketplace

And yes, I do remember my serious problem thread. See?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 11:34 PM

HAHAHA good luck!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 11:37 PM

She is #35 and they have 58 systems. woohoo. She is playing her DS and having a great time with a few friend so I don't feel so bad now (just got off the phone with her)

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 11:41 PM

If anyone wants to buy my (in perfect shape XBox 360), check out my ad in the marketplace

And yes, I do remember my serious problem thread. See?
Congrats on your decision, Jawbone54! Live MS free, play MS free. Free your soul. It's the best way.

Anyway, I've been checking out a few places, but so far everywhere I've gone either won't have the Wii at launch, or already has a line of people camping out for a Wii.

Very fortunately for me, though, I have a friend who got an extra Wii on pre-order to sell but ultimately decided not to, and with any luck we're going over to GameStop around midnight to pick up our Wiis, unless he's too tired, in which case, we'd just go tomorrow.

In the unlikely case I can't get a Wii tonight or tomorrow, I'll just pick one up as soon as I can. No big deal. I was told two weeks at GameStop, so it's not too much of a wait either way.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2006, 11:52 PM

She is #35 and they have 58 systems. woohoo. She is playing her DS and having a great time with a few friend so I don't feel so bad now (just got off the phone with her)
Your wife is awesome. Kiss her before you play your Wii.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 12:37 AM

Well apparently they "have 58 systems" turned into 30 tickets and now she is about 5 or 6 over how many tickets they passed out So in 1/2 our we will see if she manages to get one.

She offered to go wait at Target till the morning but I don't think ill make her do that

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2006, 12:45 AM

She offered to go wait at Target till the morning but I don't think ill make her do that
If she loves you...

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 12:47 AM

Well apparently they "have 58 systems" turned into 30 tickets and now she is about 5 or 6 over how many tickets they passed out
This is what I'm afraid of even with a pre-order. Good luck!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 12:47 AM

I would SO make her do it if I was going to play with it now, she says I can "test it out to make sure it works" now but I have to wait till christmas, so there should be shipments before christmas to get me one for sure.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 12:48 AM

I will know in... I guess as fast as they can check people out.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2006, 12:51 AM

I'm hearing that the Wii remote is actually smaller than it looks in pictures.

No, there wasn't much of a reason for posting that. My fingers are just moving out of highly caffeinated excitement.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 01:06 AM

No-go on my Wii :-( I hear amazon will be selling at 12PM PST tonight, good luck everyone, I will wait till it dies down a little.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2006, 01:10 AM

No-go on my Wii :-( I hear amazon will be selling at 12PM PST tonight, good luck everyone, I will wait till it dies down a little.
Sorry about that.

Good luck to everyone else in the coming days and weeks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 01:40 AM

Apparently the only way to get a Wii is to start camping now for one of the stores that's selling them tomorrow. Yeah, sorry, Zelda ain't that great.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 02:06 AM

Is it really worth camping for? They're supposed to be plentiful through the season.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 02:21 AM

Gamestop and EB really need a pre-order to get one though.
Yeah, but I've got a preorder, so that's no problem.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Is it really worth camping for? They're supposed to be plentiful through the season.
"Supposed to be" ain't exactly the same thing as "is." They're so plentiful that I couldn't get one if I showed up at 8 p.m. the day before they go on sale.
Chuck
___

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2006, 02:50 AM

Hold on to your Wiimote... Red steal gets a score of 5.5:
Red Steel for Wii Review - Wii Red Steel Review

Dated graphics, bad controls, bad AI.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 03:02 AM

"Supposed to be" ain't exactly the same thing as "is." They're so plentiful that I couldn't get one if I showed up at 8 p.m. the day before they go on sale.
If there were eleventy billion you can't get one the DAY BEFORE they go on sale.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2006, 03:07 AM

No, I mean the units are already all taken for the DAY BEFORE they go on sale.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules