Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Signs that McCain is too old - mental acuity declining

Signs that McCain is too old - mental acuity declining (Page 2)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
The bomb bomb bomb clip is quite old.
Was he for bombing them before he was against bombing them? Or has his stance changed? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about McCain ever distancing himself from that, or repudiating, rejecting or renouncing his own remarks.

His entire campaign is a gaffe-laden goldmine. Even without McCain's help, they're digging the hole deeper every day. When Phil Gramm called us a "nation of whiners" the other day, I don't think that won a whole lot of votes. It must be nice to be a millionaire and be able to look down on people who've lost their jobs, are losing their homes and paying three times as much for gas & twice as much for food as thy were a year ago, and be able to dismiss the entire lot of them as whiners. What a complete ass.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 06:33 PM

chris v: any bets on which will garner more attention: a chief economic adviser that says something dumb, or a former, retired pastor that says something dumb?

Tiresias
Jul 13, 2008, 05:32 AM

I don't think any of these threads offering collections of verbal stumbles prove anything at all. When people speak, ad lib, they make mistakes. Given enough footage, it will always be possible to glean together enough of these mistakes, condense them, and make someone look like a blabbering imbecile.

I recently watched a piece of television footage of Vladimir Nabokov being interviewed—one of the greatest prose stylists and literary talents of the twentieth century. There were a sufficient number of lapsus linguae to rival both McCain and Obama put together.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 11:14 AM

McCain doesn't email, and doesn't know how to use the internet, though he is currently learning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/us...LAyCBA7IgNWrnQ

"He said, ruefully, that he had not mastered how to use the Internet and relied on his wife and aides like Mark Salter, a senior adviser, and Brooke Buchanan, his press secretary, to get him online to read newspapers (though he prefers reading those the old-fashioned way) and political Web sites and blogs.

“They go on for me,” he said. “I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need.”

Asked which blogs he read, he said: “Brooke and Mark show me Drudge, obviously. Everybody watches, for better or for worse, Drudge. Sometimes I look at Politico. Sometimes RealPolitics.”

At that point, Mrs. McCain, who had been intensely engaged with her BlackBerry, looked up and chastised her husband. “Meghan’s blog!” she said, reminding him of their daughter’s blog on his campaign Web site. “Meghan’s blog,” he said sheepishly.

As he answered questions, sipping a cup of coffee with his tie tight around his neck, his aides stared down at their BlackBerries.

As they tapped, Mr. McCain said he did not use a BlackBerry, though he regularly reads messages on those of his aides. “I don’t e-mail, I’ve never felt the particular need to e-mail,” Mr. McCain said."
I'm not sure what to think about this. I don't know very many people in their seventies who don't at least use email. My 93 year old grandmother has her own computer and emails all the time.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
chris v: any bets on which will garner more attention: a chief economic adviser that says something dumb, or a former, retired pastor that says something dumb?
McCain generally get a free pass, or a ten-second blurb, while every word spoken by Obama, or his aide, or his cab driver, or someone who knew his former neighbor, is torn apart for several weeks on every cable news channel for at least three hours a day.

We can't say "bad" things about the McCain campaign -- he's a war hero! If we reported the blunders, miscoms, gaffes, reversals and policy errors issuing from the McCain campaign, we'd be impugning the reputation of a BONA-FIDE WAR HERO! That simply cannot be done. So basically, it's like McCain almost doesn't exist, which would be a plus for the Dems, except that all we're left with is this cardboard cut-out of the man that all the media gazes at, adoringly. I hope we have some debates, soon, so that the American people can actually hear some of the insane things he's out there saying.

McCain has said quite a few things that would have been campaign-ending for any average Democrat that haven't even made the news at all. It's getting bizzaro-world. Actually, here's ten from just this week.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 05:19 AM

When are you people going to wake up and realise that it's all crap, designed specifically to keep you entertained and distracted (like a footie match) while the people who actually run the country/world are running you into the ground for a quick buck?
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 01:52 PM

Uncle Doof: Jon Stewart has realized just what you said and has made a fortune illuminating on the theater of both politics and our media.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
When are you people going to wake up and realise that it's all crap, designed specifically to keep you entertained and distracted (like a footie match) while the people who actually run the country/world are running you into the ground for a quick buck?
Did you hear that Britney Spears was back in rehab?!

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2008, 05:22 PM

I said No, No, No!

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 10:34 PM

Wow, McCain is losing it. Haha... what did he say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVSURlFoQs

My fellow prisoners:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mBi7d6e5KI

Why does McCain hate his supporters so much?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2008, 01:42 PM

Haha... McCain left his baby, Joe the Plumber, on the campaign bus and forgot all about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCkGEHQVHK4
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules