Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any other D&D geeks here?

Any other D&D geeks here? (Page 2)
Rumor
Feb 21, 2008, 04:39 PM

I was recently invited to a PnP game with a custom lore setting based off of 3.5 rules.

Currently, I am DM for a FR based Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world.

I have Planescape: Torment in my games cd holder, very, very well done. Also, Darksun: Shattered Lands was a lot of fun.

My favorite setting by far is Dragonlance.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2008, 05:35 PM

I love Krynn too, but we played in that world so much that we all started suffering from burn out.

The world we play the most is a combination of Greyhawk and FR. The southern hemisphere of the planet is mostly GH, the northern is FR, and there's also a continent very similar to Kar-Tur. Although it is possible to travel between the different land masses, there are vast dangerous oceans that separate them and using magical transportation between them is very risky.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

finboy
Feb 21, 2008, 05:52 PM

I started D&D with the original box, one manual, no AD&D. Then moved to AD&D when it came out, for a few years. As someone said, though, they are cumbersome sinkholes of time. Only when I got to college did I meet a DM that didn't think they were God and moved at a reasonable speed (the guy was an engineer with his own patents at 21).

Anyhow, it was good exposure b/c my wife loves playing stuff on PC now. Plus it makes watching Lord of the Rings a lot easier.

When I hear someone describe Zelda as an RPG I can only laugh. Gamma World was an RPG.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 08:18 PM

World building is something that I just don't have in me. Forgotten Realms just leaves me uninspired though. None of us are huge FR novel fans or anything so we don't even have that iconic thing going for us. That being said that's where we play just for familiarities sake.

Now I am pretty excited about Eberron. Anyone else play there?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2008, 08:42 PM

The Warforged don't thrill me, but more than that, there's too much technology in Eberron for my taste.

I don't like psionics either, for that matter, but we allow a limited amount of it in our games because one of our regulars loves the class.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 12:29 AM

Long ago, I read the FR novels. I tried to play AD&D 2nd Ed, but it was too time consuming. And, the rules didn't make much sense to me; I could never understand how a 6' human could withstand injuries that would kill a 100' dragon.

All hope of playing AD&D ending with the arrival of Magic: the Gathering.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Funny since they're moving from Greyhawk to Forgotten Realms for the default campaign setting. I wonder what Drizzt will be now since he can't be a Ranger?
Drizzt as a Ranger was a rules violation at the time of AD&D 2nd Ed.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 01:09 AM

Apparently I'm totally off on 4th Edition and I can't find much more information on it outside of the two Slashdot articles I read.

I agree about Eberron. Don't need Gobots running around as a race.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 02:00 AM

Gobots! I never thought of them that way!

The settings artistic style notwithstanding I just think of them as intelligent Golems.

All in all I'm pretty neutral on the whole Warforged thing and the so-called "technology".

I think that the flavor makes up for that. It's not for everyone though.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 03:06 AM

Eberron is basically Final Fantasy. So anyone who wants to play an RPG that's all anime with robots as a player race, Eberron's the campaign for you.

I want them to bring back Planescape. That was my alltime favorite setting.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 03:45 AM

Eberron is basically Final Fantasy. So anyone who wants to play an RPG that's all anime with robots as a player race, Eberron's the campaign for you.

I want them to bring back Planescape. That was my alltime favorite setting.
I don't see it as Final Fantasy at all. Keith Baker got his inspiration for it from Movies like Casablanca, The Mummy and Raider's of the Lost Ark.

Now Planescape…I've never played that but I'd like to. It's got a pretty rabid fan base I don't know why the hell they don't bring it back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I don't see it as Final Fantasy at all. Keith Baker got his inspiration for it from Movies like Casablanca, The Mummy and Raider's of the Lost Ark.
I missed the robots and giant flying airships powered by psionics in Casablanca, the Mummy, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now Planescape…I've never played that but I'd like to. It's got a pretty rabid fan base I don't know why the hell they don't bring it back.
It was great. People like me who love to bicker about the stupid aspects of some of the game worlds loved Planescape, it made fun of all the other campaigns. Dragonlance was torn a new ***hole by Planescape. Hehe. (Except for Raistlin, he wasn't so clueless. )

Aside from that, it was great because you could bring in (or go into) aspects of any game world. It could tie everything together. Planescape in itself was just a awesome setting, they put so much effort into the detail and story. It really set a foundation for the idea of playing monsters as a race, especially celestial, demonic, and infernal.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Feb 22, 2008 at 04:48 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 09:59 AM

I have no idea what their real motivation is, but I think they'd likely **** it up.

This isn't a slam on WOTC, it's so good as is, it can't go anywhere but down. It'd be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle, again.

If you are shopping around for a game world, this is the one you wan't, and when it really comes down to it, it contains every game world. Pick this up used, you won't regret it.

If you do, I'll buy it off of you for what you paid. I'm that confident you'll like it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 10:13 AM

it made fun of all the other campaigns.

I liked how the Ta'naari and Baatezu, who one had assumed all along sound like... well... scary devils and demons, actually sound like everyone else in Planescape.

I mean, maybe on the job it's "what mortal dares to summon me forth from the maw of hell", but at home it's "quit rattlin' yer bone-box, berk, unless you want to end up in the dead-book."

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2008, 10:43 AM

Apparently I'm totally off on 4th Edition and I can't find much more information on it outside of the two Slashdot articles I read.

I agree about Eberron. Don't need Gobots running around as a race.
One of the best sites tracking 4th Ed info is ENWorld. They've got a full page of nothing but compiled info, and the latest tidbits of info from the developers gets discussed almost instantly on their 4th Ed forum. It's also mostly civil, because the mods there are pretty quick to step in before discussions turn into flamefests.

Nope, not directly associated with 'em, I just go there for info and participate in the discussions from time to time.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2008, 03:31 AM

I missed the robots and
Why robots? Since they have no mechanical parts whatsoever and they were created using magic they sure seem Golem-like to me. Surely their must be a reason that you automatically see "robot" instead of "magical construct".

giant flying airships
How about Airplanes or Zeppelins? Were either of these in those movies?