Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm a Time Traveler. What Proof Will Convince You?

I'm a Time Traveler. What Proof Will Convince You? (Page 2)
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 09:50 PM

PM me and I will tell you my real name.

Go back to your future, find out when I am going to die and come back here to tell me.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 02:02 AM

You all knew I was speaking hypothetically, right?

I mean, c'mon!

Note to dcmacdaddy: All I'm gonna say is stay away from penguins & giraffes until July 1, 2005.
( Last edited by mojo2; Jun 30, 2005 at 07:12 AM. )

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 30, 2005, 02:05 AM

Bring me a shrubbery. I don't know why I wrote that. Or this. Or this. Or this.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 02:20 AM

http://www.neilswaab.com/comics/wiggles/rehab124.html

you have to read comics 125 and later too. it's hilarious
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

mr. burns
Senior User
Jun 30, 2005, 02:25 AM

when i get blackout drunk, i call that time travel!

not all who wander are lost.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Gray's Sports Almanac
We should already be able to get one of those, since they were published back in 2000
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Sorry, but it's already been proven that time travel doesn't work.

No it hasn’t, and Quantum Physics says that there is no reason why time travel is impossible. It’s all about perception. According to Quantum Physics there is no reason why we can’t have insight into the future the same way we have memories of the past. It really boils down to our limited perceptions of reality and our own personal experiences.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 05:37 AM

I am going to give you $5000 in the future to bring back to me in the present. Make this simple delivery and I'll believe you.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I am going to give you $5000 in the future to bring back to me in the present. Make this simple delivery and I'll believe you.
Haha! I recognize that kind of promise. It's kinda like when I told her, "No honey, I won't (you-know-what) in your mouth."

When the time comes in the future for you to give the TT that $5,000 you are going to conveniently forget or something. And no one would blame you, either. Imagine someone approaches you today and says they want five big ones to deliver to the 1995 greenamp.

No way!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp

mail me the 5000.00 and after I get it I'll bring it back to todays day and hand u it in person just before you mail it off PM for details hehe
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 07:53 AM

Just bring me a hoverboard.

I've been waiting for one of these for like *forever*.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
mail me the 5000.00 and after I get it I'll bring it back to todays day and hand u it in person just before you mail it off PM for details hehe
Are you aware your post reinforces the Canadian stereotype for stinginess and treachery?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Are you aware your post reinforces the Canadian stereotype for stinginess and treachery?
stinginess and treachery is a little too harsh. It's enough that they are Canadians.

-t

Superman
Jun 30, 2005, 03:53 PM

Didnt we annex them a few years ago?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
stinginess and treachery is a little too harsh. It's enough that they are Canadians.

-t
turtle777, I see you have a benign, if not benevolent view of our neighbors to the North as I once did not too long ago.

I guess it's time for another Canadian joke fest. It seems not everyone is aware of the true Canadian stereotypes.

Four soldiers were hanging off a cliff in the middle of a war.

There was a Russian, an American, a Canadian, and a Quebecer. After hanging there
for quite some time the Russian said, "My arms are too sore and if I fall to my death my countrymen will be proud that I died for my country."

So he let go and fell to his death.

The American said, "Well I can't let the Russians look better than any
American, so I will let go and fall to my death, and make my country proud
of me."

So he let go and fell to his death.

The Canadian said,"Well I can't let the Russians and the Americans look
better than the Canadians. I'm going to do something to make my country
proud of me."

So he pushes the Quebecer off the cliff!

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 06:01 PM

...So he pushes the Quebecer off the cliff!
So the Quebecer becomes a martyr and to pay him respect, all Quebecers decide to be done with the rest of Canada once and for all.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2005, 06:13 PM

I'm a Time Traveler. What Proof Will Convince You?
Any proof will convince me. The question is what evidence is good enough to be considered proof.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
well, you'd have to invite me into your police box, and the sheer mind boggling view of the spacious dimensionally transcendent interior will instantly convince me. Then you better show me some Daleks.
Now that is the way to go about it!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2005, 06:33 AM

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2005, 08:34 AM

Apparently quantum physics allows one to travel back in time and will also handily stop you from screwing up the future/past/present

No paradox for time travelers (newscientist.com)

biscuit

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre
So the Quebecer becomes a martyr and to pay him respect, all Quebecers decide to be done with the rest of Canada once and for all.
And THAT would certainly prove time travel. Eh?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:18 PM

Any proof will convince me. The question is what evidence is good enough to be considered proof.
Yes, that re-phrases the original question. With each different individual I presupposed differing standards of proof. What standard can we all agree on? So far the nightly news several hours ahead of time appears to be the gold standard.

It would be easy for a real time traveller to accomplish, impossible for anyone else.

An added criterion unmentioned until now, yet also also met by the evening news 'proof' is that it directly benefits no one and can be readily managed to prevent any time natives from unwarranted good fortune.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
So is this you?

Peabody was my idol! I always felt jealous of Sherman.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2005, 10:45 PM

Peabody was my idol! I always felt jealous of Sherman.
Quiet you!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
Question: If you could take a one-way trip into the future, would you? (any distance: 20 years, 50 years, 500 years, 1 million)
Let's say the pod has room for four or five people, so you can take your dearest loved ones with you.

Would you want to go to the future? See how things turned out? Maybe far enough to hope for some kind of life-extending technology?
Or do you consider it absurd to abandon all that you know and love?
The idea of constant and never ending loving relationships has alreays been strictly theoretical to me. But, I recognize it is a very real part of most people's existence.

I would go on ANY of those treks under two conditions:

1) Preparations and provisions for my future education, assimilation and occupation be reasonably assured.

2) Any reduction in the life experience I know and/or Constitutional liberties we have now (Will someone please help us see that they are slowly, inexhorably, eroding...if that be the case.) will be reason to abort the mission.

But what purpose would be served by a one way mission into the future?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 10:47 PM

Quiet you!
What, you too???

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
If time travel will ever be invented, people would have gone back into time by time. They haven't. So, unless they do and it's the alternate dimension theory, then it's safe to safe that time travel has not been built nor will it ever.
Probably, but not necessarily. It all depends on the events surrounding it's invention. If it were invented by an independent scientist, for example, you're probably right. But, if it were invented by an organization like the US military, there would probably be some pretty tight controls on it's use and the diffusion of the enabling technology (for example, no changing history unless it's to revise past events to match the claims of the President)

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Probably, but not necessarily. It all depends on the events surrounding it's invention. If it were invented by an independent scientist, for example, you're probably right. But, if it were invented by an organization like the US military, there would probably be some pretty tight controls on it's use and the diffusion of the enabling technology (for example, no changing history unless it's to revise past events to match the claims of the President)
I enjoyed your post's surprise ending! I never saw it coming! Very nicely executed.

Hmmm, that makes me wonder why not reward exemplary posts and/or threads and/or topics and/or exchanges?

If the administration wishes to promote a certain type of discussion why not reward that which is desired?

Posters sometimes speak of a post being post of the week, well, why not for real?

Forum Links
Forum Rules