Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Right Click - Will Apple ever?

Right Click - Will Apple ever? (Page 2)
quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2006, 10:16 PM

though when is iScroll2.1 going to come out and allow a two-finger tap to register as a right-click?

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 2, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Right click is a very racist against left-handed users.

I prefer to called it second-click or secondary-click.
Ain't that the truth. I also hate it the way it is assumed you are right-handed whenever you sit down in front of a computer that isn't yours, like in an academic or business setting. I ALWAYS have to move the damn mouse to the left and sometimes there isn't enough cord. Or how about at the store? Those damn credit card terminals always have the scribe attached to the right-hand side. I don't call it racist. It's just stupid. That's one nice thing about the one button mouse. It works equally well for everybody.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 2, 2006, 10:01 AM

Did you guys miss the memo about most people being right-handed? It'd be more unfair to have it on the left by default, forcing even more people to have to move it where they need. Is it really that big a deal to have to move the mouse 2 feet?

And as for which side something's attached to... you got a better idea than attaching it to one side or the other?

tooki

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 2, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
Did you guys miss the memo about most people being right-handed? It'd be more unfair to have it on the left by default, forcing even more people to have to move it where they need. Is it really that big a deal to have to move the mouse 2 feet?

And as for which side something's attached to... you got a better idea than attaching it to one side or the other?

tooki
Since you're right-handed then you don't have my perspective. It's a pain in the ass to always have to move the damn mouse. You might feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot.

How hard would it be for someone to ask if you're left-handed when you start a new job and they are setting up your workarea?

Well, the middle would work for the credit card swiper.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69
Since you're right-handed then you don't have my perspective. It's a pain in the ass to always have to move the damn mouse. You might feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot.

How hard would it be for someone to ask if you're left-handed when you start a new job and they are setting up your workarea?

Then what is your solution re:mice? Have two on every computer?

Leopard Employee
May 2, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by smellycat
Ps. I'm sitting in class right now next to my friend using a IBM T41 with a trackpad, that annoying red thing in the middle of his keyboard and FIVE buttons.
I have a T43, I use the nipple over the track pad every time, once you get used to it it is more comfortable and faster. Thumb over the buttons is the technique i prefer. the big advantage is that you never foul the nipple by accident and end up clickin by accident on the wrong thing. In fact the track pad is switched off!!

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
maybe they'll make an external, $50 second mouse button

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 2, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69

I realize it's an annoyance. But what do you want, then? For everything to be set up for lefties, even though the vast majority of humans are right-handed? That makes no sense. It makes sense to inconvenience the fewest people possible. For now, that means making the default right-handed.

And gosh, is it that hard to move a mouse? We're talking TWO FEET. If it's your personal workspace, it's something you'll have to do ONE time.

tooki

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
I realize it's an annoyance. But what do you want, then? For everything to be set up for lefties, even though the vast majority of humans are right-handed? That makes no sense. It makes sense to inconvenience the fewest people possible. For now, that means making the default right-handed.

And gosh, is it that hard to move a mouse? We're talking TWO FEET. If it's your personal workspace, it's something you'll have to do ONE time.

tooki
couldn't agree more.

explosivpotato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 02:40 PM

I'm left handed, and I always use the mouse with my right hand. I can't use it with my left. I figured that was just how they worked, and I just got used to it, I guess.
17" lo-res 1.67GHz alubook,
100gig 5400rpm hdd, 1gig ram, soon to be 1.5 when my funds are up to par.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I'm left handed, and I always use the mouse with my right hand. I can't use it with my left. I figured that was just how they worked, and I just got used to it, I guess.
did you start with a mac or a pc? for mac there is 0 difference between which hand you use, but there is a bias for PCs.

explosivpotato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 10:31 PM

did you start with a mac or a pc? for mac there is 0 difference between which hand you use, but there is a bias for PCs.

I started with one of the VERY first powermacs. Wow.. I remember when they wheeled that 5k setup into our office. 17" radius monitor, 60 mhz, 16 mb ram.... and a cd drive!! that was a hot machine...

did I mention it had a 100 mb hard drive? i mean, how could you EVER fill 100 megs!? wow...

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I'm a right handed desktop support guy. Every other month or so I have to work on a lefty's machine. I just leave the mouse there, takes about two seconds to adjust the same principle to my left hand. I would think it would be just as easy for a lefty to use a mouse on the right.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Enigmaaron
I'm a right handed desktop support guy. Every other month or so I have to work on a lefty's machine. I just leave the mouse there, takes about two seconds to adjust the same principle to my left hand. I would think it would be just as easy for a lefty to use a mouse on the right.
so how to we convince someone to develop a program that will acknowledge a two-finger tap as a right-click?

explosivpotato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2006, 07:22 PM

I dont know, but I'd pay for a program like that.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 09:06 AM

compared with all of the other junk that people buy, that would be great. i have been a mac user for a while now and have never gotten used to the "ctrl" key

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 02:11 PM

You guys are all pretty smart, if someone can make a program that will turn the double-finger tap into a right-click I'm sure we can set-up an award or something. Just imagine how cool that would be. so easy. so simple. so mac.
My new MBP 17" has an option in the trackpad preferences that reads, "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click."

Dunno if the other MBPs have it, but my Rev D. powerbook 17" doesn't.

So there you go. :-) Works like a charm.

fafnir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 03:14 PM

This is a stupid thread. Dozens of requests that apple should support right click with the trackpad...

Originally Posted by markponcelet
My new MBP 17" has an option in the trackpad preferences that reads, "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click."
And if you have no MPB just use Sidetrack. Tss.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fafnir
This is a stupid thread. Dozens of requests that apple should support right click with the trackpad...

And if you have no MPB just use Sidetrack. Tss.
Yes, indeed, because man's god forbid that Apple have a homegrown solution for their own machine...

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 04:28 PM

SideTrack rules.

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2006, 04:31 PM

SideTrack is awesome but you lose the two finger scroll feature which is something that you can get used to SO easily.

-a

lookmark
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 08:26 PM

Pre-'05 Aluminum PB and iBook owners can also check out the excellent, free iScroll2. Delicious.

edit. Ah, just actually read the whole thread. IOW: ++.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Abbas
SideTrack is awesome but you lose the two finger scroll feature which is something that you can get used to SO easily.

-a
not worth it. the two finger scroll is great. come on! someone design a two-finger tap = right-click!!!!

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 03:23 PM

so they put it on the MB and teh MBP 17. please tell me this rumor of the next update working on the MBP 15 is true!?

aristobrat
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 03:32 PM

I think Apple would look pretty stupid to have it on only their low end and high end models. My bet is that it's a software update coming to the 15" eventually.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 03:39 PM

I confess to using a two button mouse 1 button mouse and trackpad as well as 2 finger scrolling. Not concurrently. When I use a PC i don't use the trackpad I guess it is a little smaller. On the Mac I often use the two finger scrolling on a 12" and was delighted to discover a utility that allows us to use it on older powerbook's a 17'. I find the tackpad works awfully well particularly curled up in a comfortable chair. Reading this thread got me thinking about the fleibility built into the Mac programs. You can use a two button mouse if need be but it often isn't needed - could you envisage a pc without a 2 button mouse. Many people have also grown up with keystroke commands which work well with a trackpad. The beauty is you can use what works for you but on reflection I believe we have more options on the Mac.
p.s i just answered another thread suggesting the Microsoft 6000 laser mouse for the 2 button variety

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 11:12 PM

Just FYI, there is a hack that will install on the 15" MacBook Pro the two-finger right-click that the MacBooks and the 17" MacBook Pros have.

Or, of course, you could simply wait for 10.4.7, which is said to enable it on all MacBook Pros.

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 11:12 PM

where can you get this hack?

Mack
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 11:50 PM

where can you get this hack?
Here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index....118022&st=20&#

Works perfectly.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 11:51 PM

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
OMG I need a MacBook Pro...
I have really wanted a "Place two fingers on trackpad and click for right click" since I got my 12" PB last year...

quilmes  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 11:05 PM

I AM SO HAPPY!!!! HOW DO WE SEND THE WORD OUT? ALL MBP 15s must know about this!!!!

dblezard
May 23, 2006, 11:14 PM

anyone got some weed?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by haha
anyone got some weed?

Forum Links
Forum Rules