Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs arriving tomorrow.

New iMacs arriving tomorrow. (Page 2)
macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 06:31 PM

Damn it, they must've decided to have a last minute delay. They'll either be released tomorrow, or next tuesday or wednesday. Then you'll see about the specs, and see that i'm right.

I have Mac OS X Leopard build 9a499 on my computer. Legally. Does that make me more credible?

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Damn it, they must've decided to have a last minute delay. They'll either be released tomorrow, or next tuesday or wednesday. Then you'll see about the specs, and see that i'm right.

I have Mac OS X Leopard build 9a499 on my computer. Legally. Does that make me more credible?
No. it makes you look even more foolish.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 07:11 PM

Damn it, they must've decided to have a last minute delay. They'll either be released tomorrow, or next tuesday or wednesday.
So your average release date looks something like...oh...August 7th?

Didn't see that one coming. Thanks for the heads up.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
So your average release date looks something like...oh...August 7th?

Didn't see that one coming. Thanks for the heads up.
The date isn't what's important. It's the specs.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 08:06 PM

Ah, I understand. It was the thread title that threw me off. Made it sound...you know...important.

And then there was the whole "I know tomorrow you'll all be proven wrong" thing. Again, seemed like timing was important there.

And then there was the whole "maybe it'll be tomorrow or sometime next week" backpedalling. That threw me off too. Because if it wasn't important I was thinking maybe you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Ok. I'll focus on specs now.

I like them. I hope you weren't fed equally bad information there.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 08:08 PM

I would normally waste time trying to convince you guys that i'm right, but I don't feel like it, because I only have to wait until tomorrow to be proven right.
Looks we'll have to wait a until the 7th then...... or was that the 8th.... or maybe the 14th...... but definitely not longer than the 15th. Right?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

davekarn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 08:30 PM

AppleInsider | Apple to host Mac event next Tuesday

Apple Media Keynote next Tuesday!!!

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jul 31, 2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by davekarn View Post

Well i guess somebody has to re-think the sources of their information

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 10:22 PM

Damn it, they must've decided to have a last minute delay.
Uh, no.

Of course, now you say that. Sounds a bit different from your previous post, and as others have said, the title of this thread.
I would normally waste time trying to convince you guys that i'm right, but I don't feel like it, because I only have to wait until tomorrow to be proven right.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 11:33 PM

Nope, sorry, please play again.

Kevin Dunahee
Aug 1, 2007, 12:21 AM

Yeah, it sucks to make such a strong claim and turn out to be wrong. We've all made bad predictions in the past, so let's not gang up too much on this guy. We'll see about the specs though, I'm interested to see if you're right.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by davekarn View Post

Yes! The details matter here:

AppleInsider was told, and Gizmodo confirms, that the event will be restricted exclusively to Mac announcements.
So, new iMacs for sure.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 05:35 AM

Tenna bets the new imacs will arrive on the 15th of August! Everyone take note.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee View Post
Yeah, it sucks to make such a strong claim and turn out to be wrong. We've all made bad predictions in the past, so let's not gang up too much on this guy. We'll see about the specs though, I'm interested to see if you're right.
Well sure, if you want to be reasonable about it.

GatorsFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 11:18 AM

Okay, so here it is, the day-after-tomorrow, and still no release of the new bread-box. Waahhh! I want my money back.
iMac 20"

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
Okay, so here it is, the day-after-tomorrow, and still no release of the new bread-box. Waahhh! I want my money back.
Steve Jobs: 1
MacGeek2005: 0

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 12:01 PM

Seriously people, you may be ranting at that guy for saying they'd come out yesterday, but the new theory is the 15th of August. I'll buy everyone and imac if they dont come out on that day, aslong as if they do come out on that day, everyone buys me an imac!

15th August all the way.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andhee View Post
Seriously people, you may be ranting at that guy for saying they'd come out yesterday, but the new theory is the 15th of August.
Where this comes from? The Apple event is scheduled for August 7.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 01:39 PM

Yeh i know, but i still think they will release it on the 15th of August. Trust me mate.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 01:46 PM

Seriously people, you may be ranting at that guy for saying they'd come out yesterday, but the new theory is the 15th of August. I'll buy everyone and imac if they dont come out on that day, aslong as if they do come out on that day, everyone buys me an imac!

15th August all the way.
I'm in.

If it gets announced on the 7th, you owe me an iMac. If it gets announced on the 15th, I owe you an iMac.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 01:47 PM

I just wish they'd announce because they're holding the new keyboards back too.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 02:04 PM

waittt! I now say, definately the 15th, because I have been lurking around the apple website and have seen a deal which ends the day before, which is "Get up to 50% off any printer when you buy any mac, up until 14th August." It makes logical sense for them to finish the deal then because people will start purchasing the imac and most probably buy a printer with it, as several people will end up purchasing the full blown kit, renew their desk kinda thing. So, what i'm saying is, they are taking off the deal the day before they release the imac because not only will it boost sales of the imac, it will boost sales of printers, therefore apple will benefit more because people will need to buy a printer anyway. Sorry if it makes no sense but I understand myself, lol.

Oh, and the 15th is a wednesday for the person who said "many updates occur on wednesdays."
Let me explain a little about sales and marketing. A discount like this is being used to entice people to buy a Mac, not a printer. The printer is sweetening the deal to get people to buy a Mac before the promo is over. They probably aren't making anything on the printer sale -- so a promo like this helps them empty old Mac and printer stockpiles simultaneously. Everyone not knowing or caring about an iMac refresh is the target group for this promo.

But another group is eagerly waiting for the iMac refresh. I don't think the printer factors into their decision to purchase an iMac. I've been waiting and I'm going to buy one with or without a printer discount. So why offer me a printer at wholesale with an iMac I'm already going to buy? I'm not being enticed to buy the Mac -- I'm already waiting eagerly to buy it. And if I'm NOT eagerly waiting for the new iMac -- then why don't I just take advantage of the current deal and get a cheap printer with it?

So now you understand this promotion. That said, an announcement of new iMacs 1 week before the end of this deal would imply that they're still having difficulty selling their printers. This is a problem for Apple historically, as well. In this scenario, they'd want to try to get all those New iMac buyers to buy a printer as well. The incentive of the deal is different for the new iMac purchasers than it was for the old iMac purchasers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened this way.

They could also say the promo simply doesn't apply to new model iMacs, and release them entirely independently of the printer deal.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 03:04 PM

Yeh i know, but i still think they will release it on the 15th of August. Trust me mate.
15 August does not makes sense. It is official holiday for the most part of Europe.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 1, 2007, 03:05 PM

could we stop discussing August 15th? IT WON'T BE THE DAY... the event is AUGUST 7TH

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2007, 03:45 PM

Just chiming in with my two cents.

I agree that it's the specs that matter and not the release date. August 7th has been in circulation for a little while, but if they start shipping on the 15th, that's cool too.

I'm just thinking about the specs. And I can't wait to see an updated look. Hope they're still white.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 04:05 PM

I understand your point Wolfen, but I'm still convinced that the iMac will be released on the 15th of August, its 9th birthday.

Oh yeh and Eug, get prepared to buy me a new iMac! lol

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 04:13 PM

Sheesh, even when Apple tells you a date, people don't believe it.

Anyways, Apple had an iBook deal which included a free iPod mini for students. People predicted the deal's end predicted the launch of the new iBook. That was wrong.

The new iBook launched before the deal was over.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 08:20 PM

Guys. Everyone knows it's August 20th.

Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:52 PM

I understand your point Wolfen, but I'm still convinced that the iMac will be released on the 15th of August, its 9th birthday.

Oh yeh and Eug, get prepared to buy me a new iMac! lol
I'm in on this. But me an iMac if it comes out the 7th. I'll buy you a Mac Pro if it comes out on the 15th.

Seriously. They will announce it the 7th. There's an event the 7th. They may SHIP the 15th, but I doubt that too. They won't have an event the 7th and one the 15th,

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 09:25 PM

my prediction: this thread will be accurately titled on august 6th (but i still doubt the originally-posted specs...)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 10:04 PM

I think it will ship whenever Leopard ships.

Aeternus
Baninated
Aug 3, 2007, 01:05 AM

Tomorrow Apple is releasing the new redesigned iMac.

It'll hold up to 4GB of ram, 2 hard drives, and 2 optical drives. The video card, hard drive, ram, and optical drives will be easily user-upgradeable. The incredible new design (which I can't disclose any details about), will be as efficient and brilliant as the Mac Pro's interior design, while retaining a compact all-in-one form factor that allows for display rotation and height adjustment.

The standard video card across all models (except for the low end), will be the GeForce 8600GT, and the 24" will have a CPU option for the desktop version of the Intel chips, instead of the Laptop version that's been standard in all models.

This is not speculation, but don't ask me where I get my info, just wait until tomorrow.
If it really has an easily upgradable GPU, I'm buying it. Instantly.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
my prediction: this thread will be accurately titled on august 6th (but i still doubt the originally-posted specs...)

This thread redefines the term "tomorrow".

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2007, 03:18 AM

I think by saying tomorrow he just meant the near future.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 03:28 AM

what an attention-hog

Hugmup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 08:33 AM

The specs in the original post sound credible, aside from dual optical drives. I think quad-core is more likely than dual optical drives, because other vendors are beginning to ship quad-core laptops, but I don't see any reason to put two optical drives in a base configuration. That just jacks up the price and most people wouldn't have a need or a desire for two.

Two HDs would work nicely with Leopard's time machine, so I think that is credible.

Since iLife is bundled with the Mac, not with OS X, I think it is likely that the next version will come out with the next Mac, not with Leopard. iLife is an inducement to purchase the Mac, and Leopard is big enough to eclipse any other product announced at the same time.

My gut feeling is that we'll see a redesigned iMac with something new in the specs, maybe dual HDs, maybe quad-core, definitely 4GB memory capacity. It's likely that they'll announce a new iLife. I don't think it is likely that Apple will introduce anything else major at this event. For publicity purposes, it is better to have three events with one product each than one event with three products, because a series of events gives the impression that Apple is busy churning out new products.

It's entirely possible that the new iMac will be the first computer to sport the next incremental update of an Intel CPU.

Whatever the new iMac is like, we'll want to buy it, but it won't make us swoon.
( Last edited by Hugmup; Aug 3, 2007 at 08:40 AM. )

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 11:17 AM

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 11:21 AM

If it doesn't have dual drive ability it's really a lame design. Think about it. Between time machine, video work, and all the other things they want you to do with the thing -- do they really want you wire up an external HD? If you're going to make a sleek/purdy All in One while marketing a crapload of multimedia editing software, you should be putting dual drives in at this point.

Klipse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 10:43 AM

new keyboards next tuesday probably?

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 12:01 PM

...coming with new iMacs, yes.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2007, 12:50 PM

I really have no idea what this beast is going to look like if what has been said about what is inside it becomes true. Could be fairly chunky.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 02:35 PM

Isn't the OP 15 or so? If so then how could you legally have an Apple seeded Mac OS X Leopard build if you're under 18, since it's required you have signed a NDA to sign up.

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 02:37 PM

?? Who are you talking to?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
?? Who are you talking to?
Uhh, let's see, maybe we can try reading the post again to figure that one out.

Big Slick
Aug 4, 2007, 03:05 PM

Argh!!! All this speculation and anticipation is killing me! I'm going to buy one as soon as they are available. Im heading down to Minneapolis Sunday for our long weekend (perks of Canada?) and I know there's an Apple store in the Mall O' America. Does anyone know know how soon it takes Apple to get some to look at? I'm still thinking of buying thru the website to fully customize it.

JUST A FEW MORE SLEEPS!!!!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Isn't the OP 15 or so? If so then how could you legally have an Apple seeded Mac OS X Leopard build if you're under 18, since it's required you have signed a NDA to sign up.
Apple doesn't really care about age if you pay for ADC membership. And if he pirated it, he's not the first.

Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Uhh, let's see, maybe we can try reading the post again to figure that one out.
considering that the post in question is an entire page up, you might want to quote it...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Argh!!! All this speculation and anticipation is killing me! I'm going to buy one as soon as they are available. Im heading down to Minneapolis Sunday for our long weekend (perks of Canada?) and I know there's an Apple store in the Mall O' America. Does anyone know know how soon it takes Apple to get some to look at? I'm still thinking of buying thru the website to fully customize it.

JUST A FEW MORE SLEEPS!!!!
It's not going to be there on Sunday, unless you mean a week from tomorrow or later.

(The long weekend here in Ontario is now.)

Big Slick
Aug 4, 2007, 04:31 PM

D'oh! I'm only going to be near the Mall till the 10th of Aug. That royally sux! Well, at the very least I can pick up some software and/or games slightly cheaper. It will be a bit wierd buying this stuff with NOTHING to play it on.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

It MIGHT be there by the 10th.

However, note that it's not guaranteed you'll save that much money by buying in the US:

US 24" iMac with GeForce 7600 GT: US$2124
Can 24" iMac with GeForce 7600 GT: CAD$2339 (currently US$2213). (The GPU upgrade is much cheaper in Canada for some reason.)

And you wouldn't necessarily be able to get any machine with those types of upgrades anyway.

Furthermore, that's with the pricing from last year (with Canadian numbers being about 10-12.5% higher). With the new Aug. 7 iMacs, Apple may adjust the pricing to get it more in line with current exchange rates (with the US$ being worth about 6% more).

IOW, a US$1999 iMac is currently CAD$2249, but after Aug. 7, a US$1999 iMac might be CAD$2149.

Forum Links
Forum Rules