Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best DVI KVM?

Best DVI KVM? (Page 2)
mosk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2005, 01:38 PM

OK, I've read through the above responses and will add my question to the thread.

I'm looking for a dual monitor DVI KVM switch that will support also support widescreen monitors. I have one large monitor (Dell 2405FPW) and one smaller VGA monitor. The only one I can find is the cables-to-go model, which I've seen marketed under various names, but it doesn't support widescreen monitors and doesn't include a USB switch. It also looks like a 1970's-vintage HeathKit project, but I honestly wouldn't care if it had the functionality I needed.

Is there anything out there with this sort of functionality??

TIA,

Jeff

greg_boz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 01:31 AM

OK, so here's the dilemma:

I have a 1920X1080 37" Westinghouse LCD monitor.

I'd like to find a 2-port DVI/USB KVM like the rest of you guys, but it appears as if now isn't a good time to buy a DVI KVM.

AFAIK all DVI KVMs on the market ( except gefen's which don't support hotkeys ) max out at 1920X1200 at 60hz. Some applications, BF2 for instance, support 75hz. Is > 60hz really necessary on LCD? A previous poster mentioned this problem and noone responded. I've been using a CRT the last 18 years...and the poster was correct that 60hz on a CRT is not fun, I have no idea how this effects LCDs however since the pixels are only updated on a signal change.

Anywho, this thread is about 8 months old...surely there's been some innovation in the meantime? I know a few posters have said the Addlogix works great at 1920X1200...but have you guys tried 1920X1200@75hz? Spending $250 on a KVM doesn't sound too fun either.

Info and updates are very appreciated,

-Greg
( Last edited by greg_boz; Nov 11, 2005 at 01:42 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 01:25 AM

60Hz vs. >60Hz makes no difference on an LCD.

Now what I'd like to find is a KVM that'll support the dual-link DVI for the 30" display.

Edit: found one here. But this review at AnandTech says its got a few significant problems.
( Last edited by Cadaver; Nov 12, 2005 at 01:36 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules