Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mouse recommendations for new Tibook?

Mouse recommendations for new Tibook? (Page 2)
tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 13, 2002, 05:44 AM

Just as an aside... no optical mice use lasers. They're just bright red lights.

tooki

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2002, 09:47 PM

I just bought the MX700 to use with my new powerbook. The mouse performs really awesome and looks cool too. The only problem is that you have to have the base unit attached to the computer, i was thinking it would have one of those little tab looking things that you can plug into the usb port. I cant take this thing all round the house unless i want to schlep this base unit and power cord with me! Oh well, its still pretty good though. Maybe this giant base unit is why it works so good.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2002, 10:11 PM

The reason the new Logitech MX700 is so good is that the cordless and optical technologies used in the mouse are excellent. You don't need to bring the base's power cord with you; the mouse can track without external power going to the base, it just won't charge.

Size of the base has nothing to do with performance. It's just a good mouse system.

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2002, 10:15 PM

Well that is a little better I guess, still kind of bulky to drag around the base though. Before I keep this thing, are there any other decent performing wireless mouse that dont require a base?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2002, 12:19 PM

Until we get internal Bluetooth, all wireless mice will require some sort of base. However, some mice have a "dongle" that plugs directly into the USB port, while others have a larger "base station" that is connected by a cord. The only mice I can think of from the former category are the Targus "Wireless Optical Mini Mouse" and the Kensington "PocketMouse Pro Wireless".

[Edit: spelling]

madchumpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 04:19 PM

I just bought a Kingston Pocket Pro Mouse and Logitech MX500. After using both for a couple days, I like the MX500 better. The Pocket Pro is small and has that nice retracting cable feature. However, the Pocket Pro feels considerably cheaper than the MX500. The plastic on the side bends in everytime I hold the Pocket Pro; the MX500 feels solid. Second, the mouse cord on the pocket pro is always curly and ends up getting in the way; the cord on the MX500 is thicker but stays put. Last, the MX500 just has more features and tracks better.

I'm gonna return the Pocket Pro. Not a bad mouse, but just not as good as the MX500.

BTW, I found good prices for both mices.

$30-$10 rebate for Pocket Pro at Bestbuy (rebate ending soon 12/28?)
$50-$15 instant for MX500 at Staples.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Simon X:
Mobility Pack right? I'm still waiting for my TiBook and extras.

lokjah you might be interested that Kensington also now make a PocketMouse Pro Wireless.

As for me, well, I'm waiting for my Mobility Pack with the PocketMouse Pro but I'm also waiting until after MacWorld to see if Apple at long last bring out not only a wireless mouse but also a 2 button one. We live in hope.
I am currently using this Pocketmouse Pro. It is suppose to come out on Feb but I got it early at the MWSF. It is very portable, USB receiver is tiny and hides perfectly. Must have!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by lokjah:
cool seems the majority of people recommend the pocket mouse pro wireless, since its not out yet are the opinions just based on reviews or have u used the pocket mouse pro corded version.
It's out.... I just got it today from the Kensington online store. I'll let you know how it goes when I get a chance to try it out.

Mike

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 10:45 PM

After years of being used to one button mouse, with the hockey puck, and then the Pro optical Apple mouse when it was released i thought i needed a new mouse for my PowerBook. So yesterday i bought the Microsoft Optica Wireless Blue mouse and i'm very pleased with it. It's really confortable and i like the it's look.

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 01:02 AM

I ordered the 17" Lapzilla and while I wait for 2 months before it shows up at my door, I figued I start to look at upgrading my stuff, i.e., mice, kybds, PDA, cell phones, etc.

I know MS makes a bluetooth mouse/kybd combo, but does anyone else? I have one of the Logitech wireless mice, but since the receiver has to be cabled to the PowerBook, it doesn't make much sense for the laptop. But, I'd rather go bluetooth anyway. That way, I can just cart the mouse around with me and when I'm at the office, I can have the kybd there, ready to use with no wires. I truly beautiful system.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 02:51 AM

Okay I'm using the wireless kensington pocket mouse pro and it's pretty good (understatement)!! My normal mouse is the original pocketmouse pro. I like how the retractable cord allows me to dictate exactly how much cord is actually out there. With regular mice, I have to twist-tie the multiple "feet" of usb cord since I just plug in the mouse right on the right side of the apple keyboard. The pocketmouse pro allows me to only have a few inches (or whatever I need).

The wireless so far is great!!! Seems to work just as well so far as my corded mouse so I'm not complaining at all. And the receiver end tucks away nicely in the mouse (which also happens to sense that it's in there to turn off the mouse to save batteries).

Great product and I can't wait to use it with my new 12" PB!!

Mike

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 03:03 AM

Thanks for your review!

xtal
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 11:45 AM

I'm joining this thread late, but I must comment that I really like my MX300 (albeit with the iBook, not the PowerBook). I have installed the Logitech Control Center, which is an impressive addition to my SystemPrefs. If anyone else is considering the MX series from logitech, I suggest reading these reviews:

http://www.dansdata.com/logitech_mx.htm

-Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules