Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime Fullscreen should be free

Quicktime Fullscreen should be free (Page 2)
JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 08:50 PM

I don't want to pirate the software... and you should read the forum rules.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Making a basic player in Cocoa is easy. But rewriting QTP in Cocoa was not trivial. A player like NicePlayer is only 3MBs, but QTP is 25MB.
No, not trivial, but not really difficult. The QT executable is only 2 MB. It's the custom tif interface files that make up most of the app bundle size. Also, rewriting the app in cocoa became a lot easier when they finally updated the API, which was right around the time that iTunes started to play movies. That's one reason I think that iTunes is the driving force in development (of the API), and QTPlayer (the app) is just getting the collateral improvements that come along with it.

Tell me another one.
Then what's your explanation for why they don't provide this simple feature that everyone thinks is a no-brainer?

People naturally complain about nagware, lack of full screen, and lack of playlists. I think it more accurate to say people have a love/hate relationship with QTP.
Really? Windows users? People who don't know an avi from an mpeg? You really think there's love in them for QTPlayer? I don't.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
No, not trivial, but not really difficult. The QT executable is only 2 MB. It's the custom tif interface files that make up most of the app bundle size. Also, rewriting the app in cocoa became a lot easier when they finally updated the API, which was right around the time that iTunes started to play movies. That's one reason I think that iTunes is the driving force in development (of the API), and QTPlayer (the app) is just getting the collateral improvements that come along with it.
You think Apple totally revamped the Cocoa QuickTime API (which QTP uses) just for the sake of iTunes (which doesn't use it)?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Unless you're trying to imply that Automator is supposed to be a new version of / a replacement for AppleScript, that analogy makes no sense at all.
Yeah, I thought it was. Honestly, I can't get anything done in either of them.

As for "QuickTime Player hasn't been updated in years despite having just been completely rewritten," I think that one kind of refutes itself.
That doesn't mean they re-evaluated what they wanted the program to do. It's like the difference between translating a story or asking the author if they want to change the main character from a blonde to a redhead.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I would really hate to have to use iTunes as my media player. It doesn't offer any of the fine controls that QT has, you can't loop films and you can't view more than one film at a time.
So what you're saying is that you're a high-end user and you want high-end features? Isn't that what "pro" usually means, when appended to normal app names?

The way I see it, it's like saying "photoshop is a total rip-off for cropping and scaling images. But I don't want to use graphicconverter because I also want layers and infinite undo and the magic-wand tool."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You think Apple totally revamped the Cocoa QuickTime API (which QTP uses) just for the sake of iTunes (which doesn't use it)?
How do you know iTunes doesn't use it?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:39 PM

Yeah, I thought it was. Honestly, I can't get anything done in either of them.
Well, that's too bad, because AppleScript is useful for many things... such as getting QuickTime Player to play full-screen! Aaaaaand now we're back on topic!

That doesn't mean they re-evaluated what they wanted the program to do. It's like the difference between translating a story or asking the author if they want to change the main character from a blonde to a redhead.
It demonstrates that Apple continues to have an interest in maintaining QuickTime, since doing a complete rewrite takes much more time than an ordinary update would.

How do you know iTunes doesn't use it?
$ otool -L /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes:
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AddressBook.framework/Versions/A/AddressBook (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 477.6.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 22.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon (compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 128.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 18.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/QuickTime (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 63.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 24989.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/SystemConfiguration.framework/Versions/A/SystemConfiguration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/vecLib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 182.18.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.4.4)
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPod.framework/Versions/A/iPod (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPodSync.framework/Versions/A/iPodSync (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 34.0.0)
@executable_path/../Frameworks/iPodUpdater.framework/Versions/A/iPodUpdater (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 47.1.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.3)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:51 PM

Sadly, some of the coolest things in life are never free

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 12:50 AM

Then what's your explanation for why they don't provide this simple feature that everyone thinks is a no-brainer?
Greed.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 03:23 AM

Stupidity

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2006, 03:34 AM

Conclusion: We all wish we could use Quicktime to play full screen movies. But, we can't.

Would you like some cheese with your wine?
 Certified AppleCare Technician

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
Conclusion: We all wish we could use Quicktime to play full screen movies. But, we can't.
Unless we use AppleScript.

Code:
tell application "QuickTime Player" present movie 1 end tell

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post

Would you like some cheese with your wine?
If you're going to be snippy, at least spell whine corrrectly.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
If you're going to be snippy, at least spell whine corrrectly.
But that's a new boat altogether. Perhaps I intended to spell wine without an H because I was referring to the drink Juuuust kidding. You caught me. Thanks for the correction. To be honest, I didn't know whine was spelled that way.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

allblue
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2006, 02:26 PM

I use a lovely little bit of freeware called MovieTime:
Movie Time 0.4b7 - VersionTracker
It sits in the dock, drop a movie file, or folder with files on and it plays them with fullscreen option, lots of control options, volume control etc all one-touch from the keyboard. And thanks to Flip4Mac it plays WMV as well now! So I never use QT player at all. My gripe with this matter is that without QTP Safari is crippled - without the QTP plug-in there is no way to download a movie from it. To get round this I have Camino sitting next to Safari in the dock and spark it up whenever I want to download a movie - all very 'un-apple' IMO.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Apple have to license part of the QT tech and hence pay a royalty, which they recover through all those QTP licenses.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by allblue View Post
I use a lovely little bit of freeware called MovieTime:
Movie Time 0.4b7 - VersionTracker
Great little app! At first glance, better than NicePlayer and BitPlayer. Thanks.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2006, 06:43 PM

So what you're saying is that you're a high-end user and you want high-end features? Isn't that what "pro" usually means, when appended to normal app names?
So having more than one window open at a time and the ability to step through frames is a Pro feature is it? Good grief.

In any case, what I meant was that iTunes is not even close to being a replacement for Quicktime player which is what you are implying. It has one feature that QT lacks (fullscreen) but lacks 99% of the other (free) features. If Apple truly wants iTunes to replace QT then they really need to upgrade iTunes to a massive extent.

FWIW, I also consider the merging of too many eggs into the iTunes basket is making it an exceptionally clunky app. It is the reverse of the Mail/iCal/Address Book paradigm and it shows. Now, if Apple were to release an iFilm app for managing your video media in addition to iTunes, then I would possibly be quite happy with that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules