Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ThemeChanger 0.5

ThemeChanger 0.5 (Page 2)
Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by kzmk:
so... what's the deal with "resource-based switching"? i thought that would take care of the missing pieces (e.g. finder toolbar buttons) on non-english systems.
It probably should, yes. However, there are more important things to do to TC, and I have no motivation to work on TC to any great extent, since people are generally stingy (as denoted by the lack of donations... well under 1% of users) and tend to be generally ungrateful. Sure, lots of people thank me, but it's the people who throw insults around without explaining them that stick in my mind and really hurt (see another thread in this forum). Oh, well. Maybe in a few weeks

milhouse
Senior User
Jan 28, 2003, 04:44 PM

Yeah..more folks should donate (I did).
it's only $5 or $10 (I forget) for crying out loud.

If you like the program do with out beer or some burgers for a week...
"-Dodge This"

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
It probably should, yes. However, there are more important things to do to TC, and I have no motivation to work on TC to any great extent, since people are generally stingy (as denoted by the lack of donations... well under 1% of users) and tend to be generally ungrateful. Sure, lots of people thank me, but it's the people who throw insults around without explaining them that stick in my mind and really hurt (see another thread in this forum). Oh, well. Maybe in a few weeks

Dude, you gotta change your attitude. Don't disregard the people that are appreciative and thank you unless they pay up, while sustaining lasting wounds from the quick words of idiots. Even beyond this board and beyond your program's development, the negative should not be dwelt on in life while the positive is overlooked.

You are a good programmer and have written a useful utility for many people that didn't even know you wanted money.... I certainly didn't. And I use WAY too many programs marked 'freeware' to spontaneously donate money to all of them. It's hard enough getting people to pay for shareware that DEMANDS money isn't it? Keep up the good work and don't hold any grudges!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by decursive:
he means a extras.rcrs file that isn't in a .dlta or .theme or .whatever bundle. i think a problem that would occur would be that you couldnt have more than two of such files, and that you woldnt have a clue what it is. what i do is just open up a .theme file and delete everything, put in the new extras.rcrs, and edit the plist(or am i thinking of .dlta?). then you have a bare extras.rcrs but in a nice named package.
Code:
cp Extras.rsrc /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/

Angus_D  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Dude, you gotta change your attitude.
Well, that's probably true, but then ThemeChanger isn't the only thing in my life at the moment.
Don't disregard the people that are appreciative and thank you unless they pay up, while sustaining lasting wounds from the quick words of idiots.
I don't.
Even beyond this board and beyond your program's development, the negative should not be dwelt on in life while the positive is overlooked.
Of course, but then again we should all be better people and then there would be no pain and suffering in this world, but that's never gonna happen, is it?
You are a good programmer and have written a useful utility for many people that didn't even know you wanted money.... I certainly didn't. And I use WAY too many programs marked 'freeware' to spontaneously donate money to all of them. It's hard enough getting people to pay for shareware that DEMANDS money isn't it?
Well, I don't like forcing people to pay that much, especially for things like TC which was originally just a quick hack.
Keep up the good work and don't hold any grudges!
Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding the reasons: I don't have much time, I have various other projects, I have school, etc etc -- and it doesn't help when people moan, and I guess I had a particularly bad day when I posted that. Thanks for the kind words, though.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 02:33 PM

Angus_D
Like others have said. I'm sorry I did not know ThemeChanger was donation-ware. I just switched from Duality (since it wasn't functioning properly). We do appreciate your efforts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules