Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can North America survive the next 50 years?

Can North America survive the next 50 years? (Page 2)
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 6, 2005, 08:10 AM

Double Amen. What about the "End of Calvin and Hobbs"!!!! I was very upset.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 08:59 AM

Nothing wrong with disco. Good sound and fine to get the girls to dance to. Grunge was worse. I thought the end of the world as we knew it was nigh.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 6, 2005, 09:50 AM

Grunge was only popular because no-talent hacks thought "Hey I can play like that toO!1"

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 11:34 AM

Play like what too?

So Alice in Chains were always saying to themselves, "Gee, hope we can play as good and be as relevant as Warrant!"? Pearl Jam and STP surely felt threatned by the amazing sound of Great White.

I'm no big fan of grunge per se, but I'd say the quality was LEAGUES above the hair-band poser pop-metal crap it replaced. I remember the Sunset Strip of 1992- wall to wall hair-band poser dorks all trying to sound like Warrant or Poison. I don't know which was worse, the metal heads trying to rock, or trying to spew out sickly sweet ballads. Bleh.

Flash forward to about 1994 and all of the same metal posers were trying to be Nirvana, and every band from Seattle was in town. It was hilarious if not dreadful to observe- but hey, at least they were shooting for emmulating a higher mark than Poison or Whitesnake.

LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Baninated
Sep 6, 2005, 11:48 AM

Werd. Hair bands blew. Except guns and roses. They could rock.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 6, 2005, 12:04 PM

Guns & Roses blew chunks.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 6, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Play like what too?

So Alice in Chains were always saying to themselves, "Gee, hope we can play as good and be as relevant as Warrant!"? Pearl Jam and STP surely felt threatned by the amazing sound of Great White.
No those two bands were labeled "grunge" because they came from Seatlle. They were basically rock bands. Hell if Black Sabbath came out in the early 90s they too would have been labeled Grunge. I am talking about the no-talen three chord fuzz gurus. Esp the drop d'ers.
I'm no big fan of grunge per se, but I'd say the quality was LEAGUES above the hair-band poser pop-metal crap it replaced. I remember the Sunset Strip of 1992- wall to wall hair-band poser dorks all trying to sound like Warrant or Poison. I don't know which was worse, the metal heads trying to rock, or trying to spew out sickly sweet ballads. Bleh.
Oh I agree, they sucked too. In the 80s the closet I came to listening to that type of music was Guns N Roses and maybe The Cult and Metallica. I was also a big Jane's Addiction fan then as well. But I wouldn't really call these "hair bands"
Flash forward to about 1994 and all of the same metal posers were trying to be Nirvana, and every band from Seattle was in town. It was hilarious if not dreadful to observe- but hey, at least they were shooting for emmulating a higher mark than Poison or Whitesnake.
The thing about grunge that ticked me off is, it made people believe that they do not need to learn to play their instrument. I had one guy even tell me he only puts the top 3 strings on his guitar because the other ones aer useless to him. This attracted a lot of new guitar players and the like. They could be rock stars, without having to actually practice!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
It was hilarious if not dreadful to observe- but hey, at least they were shooting for emmulating a higher mark than Poison or Whitesnake.
Guess who hasn't heard any pre-1986 Whitesnake stuff then?

Anyways. Hair bands rocked. Except Poison, obviously. Nothing to do with the music... ...all to do with the chicks in spray-on spandex (way, way better than your grunge chicks, who all looked like they needed a bath).

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
No those two bands were labeled "grunge" because they came from Seatlle. They were basically rock bands. Hell if Black Sabbath came out in the early 90s they too would have been labeled Grunge. I am talking about the no-talen three chord fuzz gurus. Esp the drop d'ers.
Well it's all just lables. I don't know what you're calling 'grunge' but I'm referring to the sound that came out of Seattle in the 90's and the bands that followed.

Heck, 3 chords/no talent="now you're a rock star" began long before grunge. And I still submit that most 'grunge' bands (of any merit) could play a heck of a lot better than the poser metal that came before them. I'm not aware that the hair-band metal scene produced any less number of wankers who thought 3 chords (or less), spandex, some hair spray, makeup and eye shadow made them rock stars.

Originally Posted by Doofy
Guess who hasn't heard any pre-1986 Whitesnake stuff then?
I missed more wanna-be Led Zep M.O.R. pap? Darn it all!

Warung
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LilWolfChokingOnCigs68
Werd. Hair bands blew. Except guns and roses. They could rock.
I can remember going to see G&R at an open air show in the early 90s...opening for them was the loser asshat group known as "Skid Row" and some other unknown band at the time with the name of "Nine Inch Nails".

NIN came out first and totally RAWKED! But the dumbfu<k big hair metalhead crowd wasn't even able to realize what kind of treat they were in for that afternoon. They booed Trent and the guys off stage after about 10 minutes of playing...

And wouldn't ya know, Skid Row comes on stage applauding the crowd and basically telling the "fags" (verbetum) to get off stage...

Where are ya now big hair dipsh1ts? Glad to see NIN is still going strong...after all these years!

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Rolling Bones
Banned
Sep 6, 2005, 01:20 PM

Think cockroaches.

I dunno why, but just do it.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:38 PM

I vote no... I think China is the next "USA" from an economic and military standpoint.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by UnixMac
I vote no... I think China is the next "USA" from an economic and military standpoint.
...until they figure out that they haven't got enough women to sustain themselves due to that small thing with the killing all the baby girls?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
...until they figure out that they haven't got enough women to sustain themselves due to that small thing with the killing all the baby girls?
Amen to that... India too!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

jcadam
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 02:16 PM

What % of the male chinese population is gay? In 50 years?
With the lack of women, those dudes are gonna be freakin' out with each other.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 06:45 PM

i'm actually rather sure the oil crisis is worse then civil rights

but seriously... good point. The nightly news would have you think we were on the brink of Armageddon...

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 11:03 AM

We aren't going to run out of fossil fuels anytime soon. There's massive stocks of oil in Canda's soil and Colorado has a massive amount of oil in the oil shales up there: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...051709,00.html

Until now it was uneconomical to go after them. Now with gas prices so high they make financial sense. There's enough oil in those two sources to fuel NA for the next 50 years or so. By then hybrid cars and hydrogen stations will be widespread.

Don't worry be happy.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2005, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
We aren't going to run out of fossil fuels anytime soon. There's massive stocks of oil in Canda's soil and Colorado has a massive amount of oil in the oil shales up there: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...051709,00.html

Until now it was uneconomical to go after them. Now with gas prices so high they make financial sense. There's enough oil in those two sources to fuel NA for the next 50 years or so. By then hybrid cars and hydrogen stations will be widespread.

Don't worry be happy.
Its not about running out, I don't think we will ever run out. My point orginally was being able to keep up with demand. At some point, and I feel soon we will if we have not already reached the max amount of sustained production which will hurt us in the pocket book. More demand, same supply = more $
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules