Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BBEdit 9 rewritten in Cocoa

BBEdit 9 rewritten in Cocoa (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Feb 21, 2006, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
No, I'm afraid they are not "equally powerful". Have you even seen or used the search dialog in BBEdit 8? regex is just the tip of the iceberg, and since they both have it, it was nullified.

Wait you have said you have not even tried BBEdit 8, so there is no possible way you can make that claim or any of other strikes against BBEdit you are making. That is what is insane, talking about an application's features that you haven't even used.
I haven't used version 8, but previous versions (up to 7) and the latest version of TextWrangler (to look for alternatives to TeXShop before purchasing a licence for TextMate). I have used TeXShop exclusively for my work before and vim (on the command line).

The reason I have switched from TeXShop was mainly the ability to sort files independently and save them as projects. Although BBEdit can do such a thing, it can't really sort them arbitrarily in the drawer, etc. This was the reason why I switched to TextMate in the first place. I don't really need searches beyond what I have since my TeX workflow does that for me.

Nowadays I have all three concurrent projects (soon four) sitting in my Dock and everything else is opened automatically

Also, my main gripe with BBEdit is the price, no need to use the app on a daily basis to complain about that one
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ltr3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I still think BBEdit is overpriced and overrated. There are lots of other editors out there (e. g. Pepper, the much-acclaimed SubEthaEdit) that can do plain-vanilla editing. So aren't there other, cheaper (as in less than $200) editors that can do the same? What are those power features you're talking about?
For plain-vanilla text editing--how about free? TextWrangler...

Further, BBEdit does FAR more than TextMate can and the price is hardly a factor for those who make their living with text editors.

I've never thought this discussion was about plain-vanilla text editing anyway. It's clear you prefer TextMate to anything else, which is fine, but maybe you should be more up front about it.

Maybe LaTeXing in TextMate is different from programming in TextMate, but the most important feature for me (which is not a gizmo of sort, that's for sure, nor is it flashy) is to sort files in a unique way in the sidebar, having access to all necessary files without those superfluous other TeX files. I can start by sorting them by what they are for: supplements > header.tex, title.tex, etc. and main > chapter_01.tex, etc. Later, it's more useful to sort by author Author A > files, Author B > files, etc., and then merge some files.
LaTex is plain-vanilla text editing?

The project drawer is pretty cool. BBEdit has disk browsers, ftp browsers and a construct called a "file group" which can containing anything you like, any way you like it.

You might consider editing with macros a gizmo, but it helps me to avoid mistakes, especially with misspelled environments. I rarely do any mistakes which prevent the .tex file from compiling.
That's why BBEdit's multiple paths to automation are so cool--perl, python, csh scripts, AppleScripts, Glossaries (similar to TextMate macros, but more) and Automator.

ltr3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 11:34 PM

Also, my main gripe with BBEdit is the price, no need to use the app on a daily basis to complain about that one
The price you quote is the highest possible price you could pay for BBEdit. There are a number of ways to get it cheaper, such as registering TextWrangler.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by bewebste
One point re: porting iTunes to Cocoa to take advantage of CoreData - remember that CoreData is 10.4 and above only, whereas the current iTunes runs all the way back to 10.2.8. I highly doubt that Apple's going to be dumping both Jaguar and Panther support for iTunes anytime soon.
Not to mention the amount of code the OS X version probably shares with the Windows version, which wouldn't have anything like Core Data at all.

Since iTunes + iPod is such a huge money maker for Apple (and most iPods get used with Windows), iTunes needs to stay as portable as possible. So there's one reason that iTunes won't be going Cocoa anytime soon.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules