Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HD TV recommendations

HD TV recommendations (Page 2)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
The Football World Cup was the first sports event to be broadcast in HD and since then I haven't seen any sports events broadcast in full HD.
Watching the World Cup in HD was pretty sweet. My girlfriend's brother's roommate (and thus her brother) has an HD rear projection set. The quality was good (even though the viewing angles are not so great).
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cSurfr View Post
I've had my plasma (panasonic) for a year now and I don't have the any burn-in issues.
So you're saying they aren't prone to it?

You are either smart or lucky. I had a CRT-RP for 4 years and even though I played games on it I never got burn in. I was careful though making sure that if possible I could turn off the static on screen displays with games and I never watched 4:3 content with black bars on the side.

There is plenty of people who have Plasma's who watched too much 4:3 material unstretched and got very noticeable burn in as a result. The first 100 hours of the set is the most vital.

I can't even imagine the cost to fix it but many times it is better to just get a new TV. Luckily they aren't $10,000 anymore.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 01:39 PM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So you're saying they aren't prone to it?

You are either smart or lucky. I had a CRT-RP for 4 years and even though I played games on it I never got burn in. I was careful though making sure that if possible I could turn off the static on screen displays with games and I never watched 4:3 content with black bars on the side.

There is plenty of people who have Plasma's who watched too much 4:3 material unstretched and got very noticeable burn in as a result. The first 100 hours of the set is the most vital.

I can't even imagine the cost to fix it but many times it is better to just get a new TV. Luckily they aren't $10,000 anymore.
I'm not saying that they are or aren't prone to it, only that mine doesn't suffer from it. The 10th generation plasma panel (which mine has) is a lot less susceptible to it than say, the plasma tv's from 3 or so years ago.

Luck has nothing to do with it. If you actually pay attention to what you watch, burn-in shouldn't be an issue @ all.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2006, 03:59 PM

Plasma burn-in is over stated. If you buy a decent brand and break it in properly you will likely have no problems. After 1000 hours you will have nothing to worry about. They are far more likely to hold an after-image but those do go away.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules