Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Charlton Heston Dies at 84

Charlton Heston Dies at 84 (Page 2)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 09:58 AM

Seriously kid, find some restraint.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 09:58 AM

So.... What are some of your favorite Heston films?

Ben Hur
Ten Commandments
Planet of the Apes
Soylent Green
Earthquake
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 7, 2008, 10:08 AM

He will be truely missed. One of the best actors of all time. You folks whining about his NRA statement about taking his guns from his cold dead hands might want to keep track of the supreme court this summer because if they rule that ordinary citizens cannot own guns, you will be seeing alot of statements like this becoming true. I'll be damn if I give up my guns. It will be like the third richt marching through town taking over.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
You folks whining about his NRA statement about taking his guns from his cold dead hands might want to keep track of the supreme court this summer because if they rule that ordinary citizens cannot own guns, you will be seeing alot of statements like this becoming true.
they won't.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 04:33 PM

from Wiki article
When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961. During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause, "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."
Oklahoma City 1961

1963 in DC
( Last edited by Chongo; Apr 7, 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: info on pics)
45/47

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 04:42 PM

okay, so in the top picture he's holding a sign. the bottom picture he's holding a pen. your point?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 04:47 PM

When an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 196.1 During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause, "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."
45/47

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2008, 05:00 PM

thank you for the stories behind the pictures makes sense now

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
thank you for the stories behind the pictures makes sense now
Sidney Poitier, Harry Belafonte, Charlton Heston from the March on Washington, more here:
March on Washington Photographs - James Baldwin, Marlon Brando & Charlton Heston
Heston with James Baldwin and Marlon Brando

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Lighten up porter or go somewhere else.
Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Don't forget Godwin's Law.
I apologize for being forceful rather than diplomatic. I was sort of surprised that Heston had finally passed away, and people jumping up and down on ONE statement he'd made got to me. I actually did want to try to keep the thread on the man's career rather than let it degenerate into stupid jokes-that's all-but the suggestion that someone I knew was a civil rights activist was actually a racist got to me and I wasn't as cool as I should have been. It was sort of like someone saying that Mel Torme was a racist. Look up "The Christmas Song" and its history to find out why I mention Mel.

I support Heston's stance against segregation and limited rights for anyone, and I support his stand for fully complying with the Constitution, not just the parts the party in power likes (note that neither of the big parties likes ALL of the Constitution...). Making jokes about something a rather remarkable man was passionate about just seemed very crass and juvenile to me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 12:45 PM

Good he is gone.

At the end of his life he was a total jerk; wanting to harm children with semi-automatic weapons so they could kill each other. It was shameful that he organized a pro-semi-automatic gun rally just after she shooting at Columbine. Owing a 12 gauge gun for hunting deers or moose is one thing but encouraging people to own semi-automatic weapons is another. He did that and I could never forget it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
Good he is gone.

At the end of his life he was a total jerk; wanting to harm children with semi-automatic weapons so they could kill each other. It was shameful that he organized a pro-semi-automatic gun rally just after she shooting at Columbine. Owing a 12 gauge gun for hunting deers or moose is one thing but encouraging people to own semi-automatic weapons is another. He did that and I could never forget it.

Do you even know what a semi-automatic weapon is?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 12:54 PM

wanting to harm children with semi-automatic weapons so they could kill each other
How on earth does harming children with a semi-automatic weapon enable them to kill each other?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
How on earth does harming children with a semi-automatic weapon enable them to kill each other?
No, Heston wants to harm children with semi-automatic weapons.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 02:15 PM

Well, if you are intent on harming them, it is more efficient than doing it by hand.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 02:19 PM

Stop the gun control crap. We all know gun control means being able to hit your target.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 05:40 PM

Getting into debates about gun control always makes me want to get a concealed carry permit.

I guess first I'd have to buy a gun though, wouldn't I?

No gun? What kind of a right-wing nut™ am I?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 05:44 PM

I don't think so - I think you can get a permit without actually owning a gun, can't you?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Getting into debates about gun control always makes me want to get a concealed carry permit.
I guess first I'd have to buy a gun though, wouldn't I?
Totally depends on the state you live in. But someone at your local police department can answer your questions. I encourage you to at least apply for a permit, it is an eye opener!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I encourage you to at least apply for a permit, it is an eye opener!
In what respect?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
In what respect?
Just how complicated it is. Unless you live in Vermont!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
No, Heston wants to harm children with semi-automatic weapons.
And to be honest, who doesn't?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
And to be honest, who doesn't?
Yeah, those frickin kids. Gotta watch 'em.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2008, 09:50 PM

Monique, the U.S. Constitution guarantees "the people" the right to keep and bear arms. The Supreme Court is deciding whether Washington DC's extremely strict gun laws are constitutional-and the smart money is currently on them overturning those laws. Mr. Heston was, as I mentioned earlier, a champion for all of the Constitution, not just the parts that some politicians like. The 2nd Amendment, 14th, 15th, and 16th Amendments, and so on. You just go ahead and let your own government "take care of you" the way the British government takes care of its citizens (and makes them prey for criminals who know that the lot of them are unarmed-and that if they fight back the victim is now also committing a crime) and keep your opinions about MY government to yourself. Mr. Heston was never in favor of arming kids (you got a bunch of us laughing at your use of "harm" instead of "arm"), but rather the legal ownership and use of firearms by adults who choose to do that.

Sorry everybody, but people who know nothing about a subject and spout off about it as if they were experts really bother me.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 11:04 PM

Sorry everybody, but people who know nothing about a subject and spout off about it as if they were experts really bother me.
Well, Monique should vex you to no end, then.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 9, 2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

Well then, stop posting. We all know now you have a hard-on for Heston and no-one else can have an opinion about this bigot.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 04:11 AM

So.... What are some of your favorite Heston films?

Ben Hur
Ten Commandments
Planet of the Apes
Soylent Green
Earthquake
My favorite is El Cid followed by Ben Hur.

Not a favorite, but a classic nevertheless is Planet of the Apes... Damn dirty apes

Whatever else he was, he was an iconic actor.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 05:23 AM

You just go ahead and let your own government "take care of you" the way the British government takes care of its citizens (and makes them prey for criminals who know that the lot of them are unarmed-and that if they fight back the victim is now also committing a crime) and keep your opinions about MY government to yourself.
No, everyone is entitled to comment on the US government, if people really prefer the US Gun control system than the UK system then you must be crazy, brainwashed or both, and everyone in the world agrees (apart from Columbia, Somalia, Afghanistan, Southern States of the USA and other third world places).

You don't find it strange that only the crappy, dirty, dangerous countries have the same gun control ideas as the USA?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
My favorite is El Cid followed by Ben Hur.

Not a favorite, but a classic nevertheless is Planet of the Apes... Damn dirty apes

Whatever else he was, he was an iconic actor.
That's seems the best way to express him - iconic.

Good thing movies are timeless.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
No, everyone is entitled to comment on the US government, if people really prefer the US Gun control system than the UK system then you must be crazy, brainwashed or both, and everyone in the world agrees (apart from Columbia, Somalia, Afghanistan, Southern States of the USA and other third world places).

You don't find it strange that only the crappy, dirty, dangerous countries have the same gun control ideas as the USA?
You shouldn't confuse the USA with overwhelmingly corrupt 3rd world nations, for therein may be the difference.
In Columbia I can buy a fully automatic weapon, which is somewhat more difficult to do in the States, if impossible (unless you live in Nevada)

It's a very sensitive and important issue to many, so I won't digress any further. Open a new thread for better answers.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 10:25 AM

Well then, stop posting. We all know now you have a hard-on for Heston and no-one else can have an opinion about this bigot.
I have a problem with people taking cheap shots at dead folks. I liked Heston's work, and I respect what he stood for. Calling it anything else is crass.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post

A number of pretty nasty places have more stringent gun laws than the U.S. Somalia (if you can say that it has laws at all) outlaws private possession of firearms. Colombia has very strict gun laws. They just don't enforce them. However, the founders of the U.S. felt that the first step in oppressing a population was disarming them and forcing them to depend on the government for protection and defense. Now take a look at the UK-the police don't even bother to pretend that they protect the citizens. Did outlawing guns there reduce crime? The statistics show just the opposite. Now the government is cracking down on kitchen knives...and criminals still ignore the gun laws and take advantage of a population made systematically vulnerable by the government. On the other hand, every state in the U. S. that has legalized concealed carry of handguns (authorizing specially trained people who pass strict background checks), has seen a significant decrease in crime.

Don't go equating a dysfunctional, lawless and disintegrating place like Somalia with the U.S. in any way-we have our problems, but we're not psychotic like they are. And assuming that the laws of a place are the same as what you see people there doing on TV is pretty naive. The reality is that almost every place you see "falling apart" on TV has or had very strict gun laws-that didn't help one damn bit.

I should add that if we keep this sort of crap discussion up, the whole thread will wind up in the PL. Aren't we talking about an actor who just passed away? Why are people deciding a Lounge thread about an actor should be a place to carp about someone else's country's laws?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 11:32 AM

You shouldn't confuse the USA with overwhelmingly corrupt 3rd world nations.
It's a pretty easy mistake to make these days.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 9, 2008, 06:05 PM

I have a problem with people taking cheap shots at dead folks. I liked Heston's work, and I respect what he stood for. Calling it anything else is crass.
You should retire. You are too opinionated and take part in discussions that mods or admins should not. Especially because of your bias's.

And giving me a warning for a personal attack (against who, Heston?) just shows my statement to be correct.

Mods (moderator) and admins are or should be neutral which you are not.

Sorry should have been P. M.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Just how complicated it is. Unless you live in Vermont!
Must be different here in TN, took 3 hours (total).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:11 PM

Bigot? He did more for civil rights than you ever will.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 06:16 PM

You should retire. You are too opinionated and take part in discussions that mods or admins should not. Especially because of your bias's.
Maybe you should quit, go find another forum to troll.
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 06:33 PM

And giving me a warning for a personal attack (against who, Heston?) just shows my statement to be correct.

Mods (moderator) and admins are or should be neutral which you are not.

Sorry should have been P. M.
Since you took it public, I need to clarify something. I NEVER give warnings or infractions when there's a problem or disagreement between myself and another member. NEVER. It would be unethical for me to act as juvenile as you have accused me of being. Perhaps it would have been appropriate for me to preface anything I posted here with a disclaimer that I was expressing my personal opinions, but my track record should support that anyway.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 09:23 PM

I issued the warning (it wasn't an infraction) and I used the 'personal attack' infraction/warning because it seemed the closest fit from the choices available. Obviously I didn't think you were making a personal attack against Heston, nor would I care (and neither would he with him being dead and all), but I thought AR was being unnecessarily rude.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Must be different here in TN, took 3 hours (total).
Here in New York it can take up to six months or more depending on which county you live in. My county of issue was fairly speedy and I had my concealed carry permit in six or seven weeks (that was back in '89).
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Apr 9, 2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: weird spell check copy and paste shenanigans)
Nemo me impune lacesset

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 09:43 PM

Dead people threads really bring out the worst in MacNN, eh?

Edit: You eunuch jelly thou

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 9, 2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I don't think so - I think you can get a permit without actually owning a gun, can't you?
The place I took my class rents pistols to students. They also help people figure out which pistol is best for them. Nice folks. Anyway, the way the law in Texas is worded, you don't have to even own a BB gun to have a concealed carry permit, just go through the training, and pass the written and marksmanship tests (and pay the fee, of course).

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2008, 10:10 PM

We all have our opinions and should be entitled to them. One can have respect for a person't work without actually liking that person. That is the case for me when it comes to Charlton Heston. I liked some of the movies (not many but some movies were great). I respect him as an actor but I do not respect his political views, period. And my earlier statement was indeed crass, but it's my opinion (not a fact), nothing more and nothing less. If one doesn't like a public person, and has a huge amount of dislike for some of the stances that particular person stood for, it's not easy to have a great amount of empathy, though I do see and understand that it was too harsh a statement to make and not very tactful by me.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 04:19 AM

He's a bigot? News to me. Is it because you hate guns, his position in the NRA, that makes him a bigot? Or does he actually hate everyone who is not white?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2008, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
He's a bigot? News to me. Is it because you hate guns, his position in the NRA, that makes him a bigot? Or does he actually hate everyone who is not white?
Spot the temporal faux pas.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Apemanblues
Apr 10, 2008, 08:08 AM

Now take a look at the UK-the police don't even bother to pretend that they protect the citizens. Did outlawing guns there reduce crime? The statistics show just the opposite
*Looks puzzled*

*Remembers gun shop he passed this weekend*

*Googles "Britain, Gun, Dealers"*

*Examines list*

*Confirms Location (london. England)*

*Looks up "Outlawed" In the dictionary*

*Shrugs*

Now the government is cracking down on kitchen knives
*Checks drawer for cutlery*

*Examines steak knives*

*Prepares lunch*

....and criminals still ignore the gun laws and take advantage of a population made systematically vulnerable by the government.
*looks outside*

*Birds tweeting.*

*Sun shining*

*Old lady shuffles by*

*Postman says "Hi"*

"Hi Postman"

*Closes window*

*scratches head*

Why are people deciding a Lounge thread about an actor should be a place to carp about someone else's country's laws?
*Re-reads this sentence*

*Coughs*

*Rolls eyes*

*Goes back to work*
( Last edited by Apemanblues; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:28 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Apemanblues View Post
*Looks puzzled*
It seems that my country's press is not the only group that overstates political and social issues, eh?

But how easy is it for an enthusiast to buy a .22 caliber pistol for casual target practice? Isn't it rather expensive to purchase such things? And don't your Olympic athletes have to travel to Ireland or the Channel Islands to practice with their .22 short-caliber pistols? Hardly the "oh, there's really no regulatory burden on gun ownership" situation you sketch out...

Apemanblues
Apr 10, 2008, 09:08 AM

I couldn't give damn what kind of guns you own, what Americas gun laws are, or whether people like to get woody's whilst polishing them in a cowboy hat singing Garth Crooks numbers. It's really none of my business.

Still, feel free to make inaccurate statements about my country and it's laws. I don't mind at all. We all live in castles, own St Bernard's, talk like Hugh Grant and have really horrible teeth. So, knock yourself out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to dash off to Baker street where a carriage awaits to take me and Holmes to the Baskerville mansion.
( Last edited by Apemanblues; Apr 10, 2008 at 09:14 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 09:15 AM

Well, I guess some people like the government telling them what they can and can not have. And talk about the Ugly American... some people from other countries are just as rude.

Apemanblues
Apr 10, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Well, I guess some people like the government telling them what they can and can not have.
Cool. You must live somewhere where the government doesn't tell you what you can and cannot smoke, what you can or cannot buy, or who you can or cannot choose to marry. Stuff like that.

Mars?
( Last edited by Apemanblues; Apr 10, 2008 at 09:27 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2008, 09:33 AM

Now you're reaching. This is the typical anti-gun argument.

Forum Links
Forum Rules