Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 3 Macness/usability

Firefox 3 Macness/usability (Page 2)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't know what vBulletin used to generate that checkmark in Safari and not in Firefox, but that checkmark is not forced in normal <select> form fields in Safari.

Yes it is.

Also note stylised form elements.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 09:48 PM

Ahhh... I see the checkmark - my mistake. It only appears when the select menu is clicked on, not within the unselected select form element. I wonder if there is a way to switch it off for when space is at a premium?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 09:53 PM

I don't believe you.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 09:59 PM

Erik: sorry to waste your time, I changed my response after you had started your reply (see above)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 12:26 AM

Ahhh... I see the checkmark - my mistake. It only appears when the select menu is clicked on, not within the unselected select form element. I wonder if there is a way to switch it off for when space is at a premium?
When space is at a premium? I don't think you should ever rely on a menu going 1000+ px wide, so space should never be that scarce.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
When space is at a premium? I don't think you should ever rely on a menu going 1000+ px wide, so space should never be that scarce.
It is if you are developing a little widget and using a select form element within your widget. For instance, I've developed a Flash based mediaplayer with a select form element that was used to change tracks (this had to be external to Flash since the options were populated by a MySQL table, and outside of get variables and XML it is difficult to pass data into Flash). This widget was limited in overall width.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 01:37 AM

It is if you are developing a little widget and using a select form element within your widget. For instance, I've developed a Flash based mediaplayer with a select form element that was used to change tracks (this had to be external to Flash since the options were populated by a MySQL table, and outside of get variables and XML it is difficult to pass data into Flash). This widget was limited in overall width.
But the check mark isn't drawn in the widget — it's drawn in the menu, which is sized to accommodate the check mark. The check mark's location in the menu is left of the select element's box.
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
But the check mark isn't drawn in the widget — it's drawn in the menu, which is sized to accommodate the check mark. The check mark's location in the menu is left of the select element's box.
I see how I'm not making myself clear...

You're absolutely right, I realize this, but in light of what you have written, while CSS will successfully control the overall width of the widget, with an item selected there is less text that is readable when the checkmark and tab have to be generated...

Edit: I'm wrong. The checkmark and tab are not generated when the form element is not selected, and the menu should expand as needed once selected.

Gahhh, this is hard to explain, but I see that I was suffering a mental lapse here anyway. What Safari does is great, I don't see it posing any problems, and I think the checkmark adds some usability too in showing what item is currently selected when the form element is clicked on. It's amazing how the simplest little things such as this can cause weird brain farts. It's not like this is rocket science

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 03:11 AM

I'm glad you seem to have come to your senses after all

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
FF3-RC2 reaches 71/100 on acid test 3
The June 11 Developer seed of Safari 4 reaches 100/100 on acid test 3.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 10:52 PM

Could somebody please tell me how the Acid tests have any sort of real world practical application?

Hint: they don't, despite the obsessions some people have with them.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 03:52 PM

Could somebody please tell me how the Acid tests have any sort of real world practical application?

If you knew the answer, why did you ask the question? However, there are plenty of real world practical applications for people involved in developing web browsers.

Acid tests are useful for demonstrating compliance with current web standards.

You can read up on it here

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
If you knew the answer, why did you ask the question? However, there are plenty of real world practical applications for people involved in developing web browsers.

Acid tests are useful for demonstrating compliance with current web standards.

You can read up on it here

I know that, but to end users it is not a gauge of how compatible a web browser is with popular websites out there. If Safari gets a higher score than Firefox but Firefox works with a larger number of sites, does this matter?

The reason I was so brash in my response (and I apologize for that) was mostly because it is frustrating that these sorts of tests do not matter when we are forced to deal with rendering quirks mode, and MSIE 6 which no doubt scores quite poorly with these tests. As a web developer, I have to target these browsers, not the Acid test.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 04:42 PM

It does matter in the long run if one is to believe that *real* standards are something which every competitor on the market should strive to fully support, because that will inevitably lead to websites being standards-compliant out of necessity as well, and the whole "break it for IE" bullshit circle would be broken (as it is already gently slipping out of Microsoft's hands).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2008, 09:12 PM

The Acid-tests are not intended for users to rate browsers. The Acid-tests are intended as motivatoin for browser developers to improve compliance with web standards.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 12:13 AM

So you're publicly coming out against open Web standards? Really?
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 02:10 AM

Chuckit: Tetenal said it better than I. Please do not try to put words in my mouth.

MacTheKnife
Jun 14, 2008, 02:27 AM

Well, you guys can keep Safari. I love Firefox 3 on both Mac and Windows. It's a dramatic leap forward in browsing experience. And I like that I can use Google Sync to keep my bookmarks synchronized across platforms.

Make sure to help break the download record by getting your 3.0 on Tuesday!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 08:53 AM

Google sync for FF3 has just been canned.

I use FF mainly for the plugins. Better Gmail, Remember the Milk are two I use almost daily.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

I like FF 3, but it has the same problem that has made it unusable for years. At least once a day the browser stops responding. It stops loading images, then CSS, and finally menus quit functioning and the only way to quit is to Force Quit. Camino has the same problem. I followed threads about possible fixes for years before finally moving to Safari, which has never had the issue. Oh well, I was hoping they'd figured it out by now.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 04:28 PM

I've noticed lately that my bookmark toolbar will be the last thing to load when using FF3. I'm still giving it a chance for a little while longer.

Cold Warrior
Jun 14, 2008, 05:36 PM

What do you guys think about having the entire address bar selected when you single click on it in FF3? I actually like that feature a lot...
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I didn't really notice. I always use cmd-L to accomplish that.
I've decided I don't like this feature. If I click the address bar, I expect to edit a letter or two. Instead w/ FF3 I have to click a second time.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
A quick search is a bookmark with a variable in the URL and a keyword attached.
I have a bookmark for [code=http://flightaware.com/live/form.rvt?ident=%s]http://flightaware.com/live/form.rvt?ident=%s[/code] (%s is the variable substitution) with the keyword "flight" attached. If I type "flight ual123" in the address bar, Firefox translates that to "http://flightaware.com/live/form.rvt?ident=ual123" and takes me there. I have about 50 of these quick searches and I use them hundreds of times a day.

It is like using that search box on the right and using the mouse to change search engines, except a hundred times faster and you can create one from any text entry/submission box on any web page.
I take it you aren't a LaunchBar/Quicksilver/Butler user, huh? I use LaunchBar for those types of searches, which is great because it opens the search in my default browser. I'd hate to lose them if I decided to try out a new one.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2008, 09:49 PM

Mace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2008, 11:49 PM

Hi,

Why doesn't FF3rc5 work with iWeb generated galleries? For example, check out:

FCI-TV.com FC Indiana vs. Minnesota Lightning

Where are the movie link (poster frames) in FF 3?? Why are they there in Firefox 2?

Where is the hit counter at the bottom of the page in FF 3? Why is it there in Firefox 2?

Safari (Mac and Windoze) and IE (Windoze) don't have issues with this page.

Do I have to redesign my entire site for FF 3 users? What to do....

Mace

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 12:01 AM

Nothing, until FF 3 is no longer in prerelease stages...

Have you tried emptying your cache? Trying FF 3 on another OS X account or machine?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 01:04 AM

I didn't really notice. I always use cmd-L to accomplish that.
Another way is to click the Favicon in the address bar.

P
Jun 17, 2008, 04:46 PM

What do you guys think about having the entire address bar selected when you single click on it in FF3? I actually like that feature a lot...
Hate it. Also, you used to be able to click the icon next to the URL to select the entire URL. Now you can't - it shows some sort of ID box that constantly says "This website does not supply identity information" instead. Major step back. It also still won't flash menu selections from bookmark folders, but otherwise I like it better. The text rendering is improved, history search is better, and it's much faster.

P
Jun 17, 2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That is what doesn't work anymore. You have to doubleclick it.

P
Jun 17, 2008, 04:56 PM

I've decided I don't like this feature. If I click the address bar, I expect to edit a letter or two. Instead w/ FF3 I have to click a second time.
Go to about:config and change the variable "browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll" to false. Note, however, that if you click and drag, you only select what you actually drag over. This is an improvement from Firefox 2, which wanted to select everything no matter how long you held the mouse button down.

P
Jun 17, 2008, 04:59 PM

They clarify standards interpretation in edge cases. In several cases in Acid 3, the test author had interpreted the standard in one reasonable way, but it turned out that if you interpreted it that way, you violated some other part of the standard. This meant that the other interpretation was accepted as the correct one.

moep
Senior User
Jun 17, 2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
or hit tab.

1x tab = address bar, 2x tab search box.

//edit: ok, that's a bit wonky when the site has input boxes. I still use it all the time though.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

benville
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 01:21 PM

is anyone else having problems with the new version?

i tried upgrading and it keeps crashing every time i open it and i have no idea why.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2008, 02:46 PM

Benville: does it do that for you within a different OS X account?

kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 12:32 AM

I really like FF3... I just wish someone would come up with an addon to integrate it with my Safari bookmark and keychain.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
That is what doesn't work anymore. You have to doubleclick it.
I was talking about Safari.

Forum Links
Forum Rules