Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nevermind gas prices, my friend's Twin-Turbo Corvette

Nevermind gas prices, my friend's Twin-Turbo Corvette (Page 2)
IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Why do Americans always get so damn technical with cars describing every tire feature and engine featre? I prefer the way Top Gear does it, their reviews are much more poetic and cultural, the only technical details they give away are top speed, the BREAK horsepower (not just horsepower), and the naught to sixty time, MAYBE something about the suspension, the torque or some special feature but THATS IT.

Heh, firstly, it's BRAKE horsepower.

Top Gear is not a technical show really, it's more entertainment. Car forums and car mags are overrun with technical details. I've spared you here.

Sorry I haven't been poetic and cultural too.

Video to come..
ice

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 09:58 AM

I love to speed. But I think I'd lose my license a little too quickly in this car.

Nice engine work btw
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 12:46 PM

It's funny, a coworker that I was telling about the car said "man, you'd have to be careful driving that thing with so much power".

Careful?? I had to be careful with my 280 RWHP Mustang. 700+ HP is like, ludicrous, PLAID even.

The driver reports NO traction with a 345mm width tire at the TOP of 3rd gear(let alone 1st and 2nd). That's about 110-120mph.
ice

Railroader
Banned
Oct 1, 2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I love to speed. But I think I'd lose my license a little too quickly in this car.

Nice engine work btw
Agreed, I'd probably be placed in a a jail cell for a while. An "Adult Time-Out to think about what I did wrong" my daughter calls it.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 01:14 PM

Top Gear? Give me a break. Those guys are ****ing idiots. They swoon over pussy cars like the Mitsu and Wrx. They have no idea what a real car is. They almost cream their pants when they talk about them. I could only stand about 10 seconds of those idiots before I quit watching the show.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2008, 01:18 PM

Yeah, let them drive a Durango and they'll see what acceleration and handling are all about!
Oh no I di'in't!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Top Gear? Give me a break. Those guys are ****ing idiots. They swoon over pussy cars like the Mitsu and Wrx. They have no idea what a real car is. They almost cream their pants when they talk about them. I could only stand about 10 seconds of those idiots before I quit watching the show.
Please, inform us what a 'real' car is.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 1, 2008, 01:47 PM

I think that's the first time I have heard anyone truly say they dislike Top Gear. Even my wife, who can't tell a Saturn from a Porsche, is entertained by those kooky Brits.

And when they race caravans or turn cars into boats... well, let's just say I am often hitting the replay button to relive the mayhem.

Good times...

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Even my wife
I wouldn't say "even," because that's the type of person they're going for - generally the type of person that knows the difference between crank and flywheel horsepower is the type of person that gets turned off by their lack of technical integrity.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yeah, let them drive a Durango and they'll see what acceleration and handling are all about!
Oh no I di'in't!

Railroader
Banned
Oct 1, 2008, 02:26 PM

Oh no, my wife normally hates dry British humor, anything nearly, or accidentally, technical, car shows, or arrogant hosts. Top Gear has everything my wife hates in TV shows.

About the only thing my wife and I agree on TV related is House, Lost, and... that's it. I can't stand her shows, and she can't stand mine.

I think the TG guys have added a very important entertainment element to automotive shows, an opinion. On the other side of the coin, If you want to cure 90% of the world's insomnia, make them watch MotorWeek. MW is about 99.9% raw subjective data and very little subjective opinions. It is about as entertaining as a root canal.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 02:56 PM

Top Gear is a phenomenal show and truly they show real EVERYDAY sports cars or daily drivers, of course they love the STi and the Evo, you're talking about 300+horses with AWD, which is a supreme all around car for 30k. These are not super cars but dollar for dollar they're some of the best performing vehicles on the road. You're right i'd much rather them review the dodge nitro and F-150, those really get me going.

now can i get some videos of the vette beast?
( Last edited by klb5090; Oct 1, 2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar corrections)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 03:17 PM

Top Gear? Give me a break. Those guys are ****ing idiots. They swoon over pussy cars like the Mitsu and Wrx. They have no idea what a real car is.
On the average British road, an Evo would seriously hammer a monster Vette. And guess what? Top Gear's a British show.

If anyone wants the tech data of the cars, then we buy TopGear Magazine. Or Evo.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post

videos PLEASE
now can i get some videos of the vette beast?

sure:

http://www.frequencyequalsbass.com/d...chaos_dyno.mp4
(6MB mp4 file. Right click, save as)
ice

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 03:44 PM

Sick video.

Love the end, "idles like your mom's camry."

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 04:30 PM

Oh no I di'in't!
Yeah, the Durango is fast, maybe not Vette fast, but it'll do at least 120. And that's mine, with the 4.7 V-8. The Hemi is faster.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
On the average British road, an Evo would seriously hammer a monster Vette. And guess what? Top Gear's a British show.

If anyone wants the tech data of the cars, then we buy TopGear Magazine. Or Evo.
So? If you want to swoon over an overpriced 4 banger, be my guest.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 04:34 PM

Dude, you suck at cars.

300 HP, AWD for 30 Gs is not overpriced.

What would you know anyways, you buy big, ugly, slow-ass SUVs and think you're the sh!t.

/waits for "I make 6 figures!" comeback

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 04:35 PM

Apparently it's horsepower is overridden by the fact that it only has 4 cyclinders.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 04:38 PM

That's half the amount of cylinders he has, so therefore.....his cock is twice as large.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 04:39 PM

So? If you want to swoon over an overpriced 4 banger, be my guest.
Here's the current main DoofMobile's engine:

Now shut yer mouth.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 05:13 PM

AWESOME video,

i'd love to know how the number of cylinders a motor has = has good a car is.
I've seen more than one Evo or STi beat a vette STRAIGHT up at a track, now put them in the curves (where you separate "i can shift" from "i can drive") and those "4 bangers" will win all day long (and get close to 25MPG to boot). I love the guys i see on the road and track in their Mustangs and Camaros that get smoked by my little 4 banger (2.0liter turbo stage 2). Its not about power its about power TO weight, its called a ratio.
( Last edited by klb5090; Oct 1, 2008 at 08:36 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 05:13 PM

... your you're talking about 300+horses with AWD, supreme all around car for 30k. These aren't super cars but dollar for dollar there they're some of the best performing vehicles on the road. Your You're right i'd much rather them review the dodge nitro and F-150, those really get me going.
Can't... resist... correction...
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks! its a Penn State Education.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 05:19 PM

Thanks! its a Penn State Education.
With a Western PA upbringing.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
With a Western PA upbringing.
i was waiting for it, your always ready for the "quote" button dakar, haha

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 05:22 PM

Yeah, the Durango is fast, maybe not Vette fast, but it'll do at least 120. And that's mine, with the 4.7 V-8. The Hemi is faster.
it will do 120 after a 10 minute run up, every car can do over 100. What matters is how long it takes you to get to 100.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 1, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
sure:

http://www.frequencyequalsbass.com/d...chaos_dyno.mp4
(6MB mp4 file. Right click, save as)
Thank you thank you thank you.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 07:42 PM

A monster Vette? Probably, but that's because you don't have traction until 120 .

But the stock '06 Z06 kicked the EVO IX's ass on the Nurburing, which I believe does have a corner or two.
Yeah, the Durango is fast, maybe not Vette fast
It's not Vette fast, it's not even Contour fast. It's slow.

AWESOME video,

i'd love to know how the number of cylinders a motor has = has good a car is.
I've seen more than one Evo or STi beat a vette STRAIGHT up at a track, now put them in the curves (where you separate "i can shift" from "i can drive") and those "4 bangers" will win all day long (and get close to 25MPG to boot). I love the guys i see on the road and track in there Mustangs and Camaros that get smoked by my little 4 banger (2.0liter turbo stage 2). Its not about power its about power TO weight, its called a ratio.
See my reply to Doofy.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 08:35 PM

See my reply to Doofy.
What my intention was a corvette cost at 60(70k for a Z06), i've seen MANY modded STi's, Evo's, Supras, ETC. smoke vettes (straight up/autocross/track) and still be WAY under the total cost for a vette. The argument remains we are not talking about the number of cylinders in the motor making the car but the overall car (power to weight, handling, etc.), You, of everyone Laminar should know what i'm saying, i've seen your car here on the forum and you know that its not about about liters or cylinders or horse power, its the package deal. When you rate a car you have to keep in mind its class, cost, and drivability.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 09:14 PM

What my intention was a corvette cost at 60(70k for a Z06), i've seen MANY modded STi's, Evo's, Supras, ETC. smoke vettes (straight up/autocross/track) and still be WAY under the total cost for a vette. The argument remains we are not talking about the number of cylinders in the motor making the car but the overall car (power to weight, handling, etc.), You, of everyone Laminar should know what i'm saying, i've seen your car here on the forum and you know that its not about about liters or cylinders or horse power, its the package deal. When you rate a car you have to keep in mind its class, cost, and drivability.
I do understand, but cost was never brought up until now, just that Evos and STIs smoked Vettes. You're right, I'm all about the package. See what Oisin's posts are doing to me?

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 09:42 PM

I do understand, but cost was never brought up until now, just that Evos and STIs smoked Vettes. You're right, I'm all about the package. See what Oisin's posts are doing to me?
your right i understand, i guess i was going on the idea that Top Gear usually reviews/talks about cars that are a total package (more of a daily driver car) or an all around performer.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 11:11 PM

I have no problem with the type of cars that Top Gear tests. My issue with them is their heavily biased and wildly inaccurate reporting that people take as serious journalism.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 11:50 PM

I have no problem with the type of cars that Top Gear tests. My issue with them is their heavily biased and wildly inaccurate reporting that people take as serious journalism.
I can see that, and you have a valid point. I hope that most people don't take it as serious like a Car and Driver review or Motortrend or Automobile. But i do like the way they go on a "fun factor" and its a more layed back car show (but they do love my car so i guess they have good taste )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 02:47 AM

A monster Vette? Probably, but that's because you don't have traction until 120 .

But the stock '06 Z06 kicked the EVO IX's ass on the Nurburing, which I believe does have a corner or two.
Yeah but the 'Ring is about four times wider than the average British B-road. And it's been built by Germans (who know what they're doing), not Brits (who've trundled off for a tea break when the job was half done and forgotten where they were up to when they got back).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 02:50 AM

Inaccurate reporting? Then go whine to the BBC - they're legally required to tell the truth.

I think you'll find that it's not actually inaccurate reporting at all. But simply you've been taking too much notice of people who don't appreciate Clarkson's political stance and resultantly spread the FUD around liberally.

And again, if you're not buying TopGear Magazine, you're not getting the full package.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2008, 03:52 AM

Doofy, he does says some outlandish **** sometimes. I still like him and the show.
ice

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 08:12 AM

I still haven't been enlightened as to what 'real' cars are.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 09:14 AM

Inaccurate reporting? Then go whine to the BBC - they're legally required to tell the truth.

I think you'll find that it's not actually inaccurate reporting at all. But simply you've been taking too much notice of people who don't appreciate Clarkson's political stance and resultantly spread the FUD around liberally.

And again, if you're not buying TopGear Magazine, you're not getting the full package.
Actually I have no idea what his political stance is and it didn't take anyone else to bring me to this conclusion. Just things like their complete inability to understand what wheel horsepower is.
So I was joking, but apparently be does truly believe that the Durango is fast. My car would completely kick it's ass and we all know how fast my car is .

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 09:54 AM

120 isn't fast? I said it was faster than people think, but I'm not comparing to a Vette. I just said it was fast. If a 120 on the interstate isn't fast, then something is seriously wrong with you people.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 09:55 AM

A. Almost no Japanese cars.
B. Most cars with more than a 4 banger.

Pretty simple.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 09:58 AM

A. Almost no Japanese cars.
Saw it coming a mile away.

Edit: Pun unintended.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 10:12 AM

Actually I have no idea what his political stance is and it didn't take anyone else to bring me to this conclusion. Just things like their complete inability to understand what wheel horsepower is.
They understand what wheel horsepower is. They just don't want to send their viewing public to sleep with those kinds of details.

Buy the mag for a few months. You'll have plenty of boring facts thrown at you in that.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 10:14 AM

120 isn't fast? I said it was faster than people think, but I'm not comparing to a Vette. I just said it was fast. If a 120 on the interstate isn't fast, then something is seriously wrong with you people.
Are you basing that number on Dodge's reported top speed, a personal test using the wildly inaccurate speedo, or data taken from a device designed to measure speeds that fast?

And it's harder to find a car that CAN'T do 120 than one that can.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 10:18 AM

Are you basing that number on Dodge's reported top speed, a personal test using the wildly inaccurate speedo, or data taken from a device designed to measure speeds that fast?

And it's harder to find a car that CAN'T do 120 than one that can.
Personal. I don't read much on reported top speed ratings. And you make it sound like the Durango, which is technically an SUV on a truck frame and not a car, is slower than the second coming of Christ.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 10:21 AM

Saw it coming a mile away.

Edit: Pun unintended.
I can count probably three Japanese cars that I would dearly love to own, if I had money coming out my ass. The Q45, M45, and the new LS600. Other than that, imho most Japanese cars are completely boring, poorly designed, and completely soul-less cars. Just look at crap like the Accord, Camry, Sentra... boring. I've never heard or seen people stop and go, "damn, look at the ****ing Camry! That's sweet!" But I've seen numerous people say that about something like the new Challenger SRT-8, just to name an example.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 10:25 AM

No, 120 isn't fast. If you think 120 is fast on a freeway, you're a granny.
I may or may not (according to legality) have hit 120 on a crappy A-road today, without even thinking about it.

This guy doesn't think 120 is fast either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGk8o7PWFEQ
(Note: While a monster Vette is an awesome machine, anyone with any sense should be able to see how an Evo or Scooby will trounce one around these roads).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 10:26 AM

I can count probably three Japanese cars that I would dearly love to own, if I had money coming out my ass. The Q45, M45, and the new LS600. Other than that, imho most Japanese cars are completely boring, poorly designed, and completely soul-less cars. Just look at crap like the Accord, Camry, Sentra... boring. I've never heard or seen people stop and go, "damn, look at the ****ing Camry! That's sweet!" But I've seen numerous people say that about something like the new Challenger SRT-8, just to name an example.
Wow, no one interested in the entry level japanese cars? You don't say? Meanwhile people are raving about Neons, Focuses, and Cobalts!

The car I hear referred to the most is the Mazda 6. Everyone seems to love those.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 10:28 AM

I've never seen anyone stop and say "wow that Ford Focus is teh tits" either. My homey's 800 BHP R32 Skyline, on the other hand...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 10:30 AM

My homey's 800 BHP R32 Skyline, on the other hand...
Taken out of context, there is no one, I repeat no one, who would ever guess this just came out of the Doofy account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules