Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Britons: What is this thing?

Britons: What is this thing? (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 11:16 AM

ksjhdflksjbvv
( Last edited by Railroader; Nov 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM. )

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2008, 11:20 AM

Please, move this to the Pol Lounge.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 14, 2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by linger View Post
Not that it should matter were said soldier is,
THERE IT IS! HAHAHAHAHA all caps

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 11:36 AM

Ah never-mind. Had I known what you were attempting to do, I'd not have taken the bait. We had a civil war here once I believe I read about it a few times BTW.
I'm guessing that very few Americans remember the cost of that war. And that's ignoring the fact that wars were fought a lot differently back then.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I'll take the bait.

Pearl Harbor?

My great-uncle is still missing his leg from that one.
One attack. Not a war.
I hope all of our wars are fighting on foreign soil from now on. Defending our allies and coming to the aid of those in need.
Of course you hope so. Everyone does. That way you don't have to suffer like those who are in the actual combat area.
Perhaps you like wars to be like the last time the US was attacking on its own soil? Cowards flying airplanes into civilian buildings in the heart of our biggest city? Is that your kind of war?
F*ck off.

"Learn to swim"

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
I'm guessing that very few Americans remember the cost of that war. And that's ignoring the fact that wars were fought a lot differently back then.
Yeah, they wore uniforms and didn't strap bombs to their kid's bodies.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 11:43 AM

One attack. Not a war.
You didn't as for a war. You asked: "When was the last time a US soldier got blown up on US soil?"
Of course you hope so. Everyone does. That way you don't have to suffer like those who are in the actual combat area.
Duh!
F*ck off.
Typical, you lose an argument so you throw profanities at me. Such a cowardly act.

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 11:47 AM

Oh so not American and just guessing. Hmm.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 11:49 AM

You didn't as for a war. You asked: "When was the last time a US soldier got blown up on US soil?"
Did I say you were wrong? Since the context we were talking about were soldiers in war I thought it would be clear to most people that we were talking about wars.....
Duh!
And since you haven't suffered at home you go too easily to wars abroad. Which is my point.
Typical, you lose an argument so you throw profanities at me. Such a cowardly act.
Because implying I prefer the way of Al-Qaida is an argument........

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 11:50 AM

Oh so not American and just guessing. Hmm.
Me not being American has what to do with what?

"Learn to swim"

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 12:06 PM

Did I say you were wrong? Since the context we were talking about were soldiers in war I thought it would be clear to most people that we were talking about wars.....

And since you haven't suffered at home you go too easily to wars abroad. Which is my point.
Uhhh... wat? Haven't suffered? Have you read any of the replies to your posts? At all? huh?
Because implying I prefer the way of Al-Qaida is an argument........
Just trying to argue on your level. I'll admit it is sneaky and cowardly, but I am just trying to help you relate. Looks like it was effective.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 12:07 PM

The fact that you are guessing without any actual facts. Seriously, is it really that difficult?

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 12:10 PM

Good argument.
Uhhh... wat? Haven't suffered? Have you read any of the replies to your posts? At all? huh?
Two attacks in 70 years. I don't call that suffering like those nations who have had wars fought on their soil. You'd perhaps think that makes you have suffered enough to understand the hurt wars cause but I think otherwise.
Just trying to argue on your level. I'll admit it is sneaky and cowardly, but I am just trying to help you relate. Looks like it was effective.
So now I'm sneaky and cowardly? Yet another great argument....

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2008, 12:12 PM

The fact that you are guessing without any actual facts. Seriously, is it really that difficult?
Facts?

Two attacks on US soil in about 70 years. That's a fact isn't it?

What more facts do I need to have an opinion? And what facts do you have to help you form your opinion?

"Learn to swim"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 02:03 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 02:18 PM

Yeah, they wore uniforms and didn't strap bombs to their kid's bodies.
Downtown in a war zone:

Just like 9/11, right? Except inverted.

I posted this a while ago, in another thread:

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot, in Nov., 2002
War is the very last resort of the impotent or desperate.
United States foreign policy appears reflect an unawareness of that.
I'm quite certain that the United States would have a slightly different outlook on war - I shudder to read of war being justified for economic reasons - but look at the ruins of the World Trade Center. The destruction of something familiar, though real estate. Now, the vacuum waiting to be filled by something.

We have entire *cities* that were like that, within remembering distance of a significant section of the population. The cities are still being rebuilt today, over half a century later, and many areas will take as long again to regrow into the organic structures they were before the war - if at all. When I look out of my window, I can see three houses that are old, followed by one that was rebuilt after the war; the house I live in is in a segment of four houses built post-war (bombed out). This neighborhood remained partially intact. Farther downtown was completely levelled.

The USA has *never* experienced "modern" warfare on its own soil. Remember that feeling when the WTC got bombed. Now imagine if it had been Manhattan. And parts of Brooklyn. Or your neighborhood. Or your hometown. Or your nearest shopping mall with a couple of the surrounding streets - or suburbs.

That's part of what "war" means, and it's very real. That's what you're doing to the people when you say "Let's bomb the heck out of them".

Nothing justifies that short of desperation.

And I don't think we're that desperate.
Please note that I do not mean the slightest disrespect for the brave (or desperate) men and women who gave their lives for what they considered a greater good - Glenn's post is important and true.

I am fully aware that *everything* I am and have, I owe to the intervention of soldiers who brought down the Axis in WWII.

I do want to point out, though, that - at least in this country - it is a soldier's DUTY to DENY orders he considers illegal or immoral. In other words, a soldier can be prosecuted for blindly following orders that allow him to knowingly violate basic human rights.
I believe there is a provision for this in U.S. military law, as well.
If there is, it must be at least permissible to question the judgement of those who partook in the Iraq war.

I myself do not, and I really don't want to go there.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Nov 14, 2008 at 02:29 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Downtown in a war zone:
***snipped for brevity***
I don't know how what you posted is related to my post.

We were discussing the US Civil War. NOT 9/11.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 03:10 PM

Facts?

Two attacks on US soil in about 70 years. That's a fact isn't it?

What more facts do I need to have an opinion? And what facts do you have to help you form your opinion?
You admitted to guessing about US people and their views on the US Civil War. "Guessing". I am going to guess you are purple. Am I right?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I think these are cool. I have never seen one in Michigan*.

*about ~1% of coins in Michigan are Canadian. They don't work in vending machines, but most store just take them at face value. But not loons or toons. I accidentally had some in my pocket here in Indiana and attempted to pay for something without thinking twice about it. The cashier called me a crook and threatened to call the police.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2008, 03:19 PM

The cashier called me a crook and threatened to call the police.
That wasn't because of the coins, she just wanted to get you arrested.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

I think these are cool. I have never seen one in Michigan*.
They're OK, but I don't actually like the look that much though. They're textured so the paint stays on longer (in the pits of the texture), but nonetheless the paint wears off and it doesn't look so good once the paint starts to come off. I would have much preferred simply an imprinted non-coloured poppy. Plus, the design for the poppy is very angular, and looks like a 1980s gif file.

*about ~1% of coins in Michigan are Canadian. They don't work in vending machines, but most store just take them at face value. But not loons or toons. I accidentally had some in my pocket here in Indiana and attempted to pay for something without thinking twice about it. The cashier called me a crook and threatened to call the police.
Some people are just idiots of course.

BTW, A friend of mine was in the airport somewhere in the Northern US after taking a cab ride. The ride was something like $8, but all he had was a Canadian $20 bill. The cabbie refused to take the CAD$20, and instead made him go inside and change the $20 for US$ and accepted the lower amount of US$ instead. (At the time, CAD$20 was worth about US$15-16.)

linger
Baninated
Nov 14, 2008, 03:36 PM

Means you are just basically guessing in your assumptions of us.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

BTW, A friend of mine was in the airport somewhere in the Northern US after taking a cab ride. The ride was something like $8, but all he had was a Canadian $20 bill. The cabbie refused to take the CAD$20, and instead made him go inside and change the $20 for US$ and accepted the lower amount of US$ instead. (At the time, CAD$20 was worth about US$15-16.)
I probably would too. Is $10 really worth the effort of having to go change it into US $ at some point in the future?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I probably would too. Is $10 really worth the effort of having to go change it into US $ at some point in the future?
Yes, at least in a big city where foreign exchange booths are everywhere. He was at the airport too anyway. My guess though was that the cabbie just didn't realize what CAD$20 was worth. Or maybe he thought it was counterfeit or something.

Anyways, there wouldn't have been a problem had the cabbie accepted a credit card, but he didn't accept that either.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 03:45 PM

Yes, at least in a big city where foreign exchange booths are everywhere. He was at the airport too anyway.
Doesn't matter, I'm still not getting out of my cab and waiting in line for $10 extra. That's assuming he wouldn't have to park illegally to do so.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 03:51 PM

I don't know how what you posted is related to my post.

We were discussing the US Civil War. NOT 9/11.
"We" aren't.

"You" (singular) were talking about the US Civil War and implying Sayf supported terrorist methodology.

"You" (plural) were talking about war, and the fact that Americans in general, for all the gung-ho glory-of-war hollering, don't seem to have the slightest ****ing clue what modern warfare actually means to the people who AREN'T soldiers. Americans have NEVER experienced modern warfare on their own soil, and the American Civil War bears no resemblance to it.

A single attack on a military target sixty years ago and the destruction of 9/11 do not constitute "experiencing modern warfare".

Hence my post.

But of course, you knew that full well and were just being contrarian. You are, after all, not stupid.

Right?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 14, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
"We" aren't.

"You" (singular) were talking about the US Civil War and implying Sayf supported terrorist methodology.

"You" (plural) were talking about war, and the fact that Americans in general, for all the gung-ho glory-of-war hollering, don't seem to have the slightest ****ing clue what modern warfare actually means to the people who AREN'T soldiers. Americans have NEVER experienced modern warfare on their own soil, and the American Civil War bears no resemblance to it.

A single attack on a military target sixty years ago and the destruction of 9/11 do not constitute "experiencing modern warfare".

Hence my post.

But of course, you knew that full well and were just being contrarian. You are, after all, not stupid.

Right?
Nope. You just don't quite grasp the maneuvering in the thread.

When certain people on here make stupid comments without anything to back them up, I set the record straight. Those same people are quite intelligent and should know better. Those same people are pride filled and will not admit that what they posted amounts to dishonesty. You, often come in and jump into the conversation only picking on my posts. You, fail.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 04:41 PM

When certain people on here make stupid comments without anything to back them up, I set the record straight. Those same people are quite intelligent and should know better. Those same people are pride filled and will not admit that what they posted amounts to dishonesty. You, often come in and jump into the conversation only picking on my posts. You, fail.
What stupid comments were made on here? If you were referring to Sayf-Allah's assertion that the US hasn't experienced a major war on American soil then that is true. Heck, if you want to talk about the Civil War then at that time the US was barely half the size it is now geographically. Besides, how many Americans are alive today who remember the US Civil War?

I think both Sayf and spheric are correct in their assertions about the United States eager willingness to go to war: Since the end of WWII I think our leaders have been far more willing to go to war in other countries because no one in this country really understands what it is like to have their homeland caught up in the middle of a major war with death and destruction all around. In the US we send our troops to cause death and destruction in countries overseas without fully understanding the consequences of what that means to the people living in those countries. I agree with both Sayf and spheric that if there was ever to be a major war fought on US soil with massive death and destruction it would radically alter the views of Americans towards war in general and towards sending US troops into wars overseas.

This does not mean I wish for their to be a major war on US soil--only maniacs wish for war--but I do wish Americans would try a little harder to learn and understand about the ramifications of going to war and what it means to support a leader who advocates going to war. As for me, the only "war" I have supported in my life was the half-hearted invasion of Afghanistan after the attacks of September 11th. I wish our leaders had poured as much effort and energy into fighting and winning that war as they should have. Seven years after that horrible there day should be no traces left of the Taliban or Al Qaeda yet they are stronger now than they were before 9/11. That fact makes me ashamed of our nation and our leaders and how they responded to the attacks of September 11th; It's like all those people killed in NYC and DC and PA died in vain.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Nov 14, 2008 at 04:48 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2008, 04:44 PM

You sound like you're channeling Kevin.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 14, 2008, 04:57 PM

I took these in Ottawa the day after Veteran's Day a few years back. It was nice to so many people had left notes at the monument.

For those of you who need to do the usual bickering, you do know where the proper forum is, correct? Cease and desist
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2008, 11:30 AM

When was the last time a US soldier got blown up on US soil?
It happens all too frequently. In training, in accidents. There's this huge thing about people expecting the US to police the world. "Why aren't they doing something about Darfur?" "Why don't the Americans do this?" "Why don't they stop that?" We are expected to flex our muscles in places that are not in any way in our self interest. And we are criticized when we flex our muscles in places where people think we don't belong but where our leaders (right or wrong) think our self interest lies. And ALL of that requires our Soldiers to be trained in dangerous, unpleasant, and nasty jobs.

By the way, do you know who the first U.S. casualty of Desert Shield was? An Air Force crew chief who got run over while sleeping under his F-15. We lose a LOT of people to accidents. At the moment though, just driving down the road in a place where, since we have already intervened we MUST finish the job and leave the place better than when we first arrived, our guys get blown up. And NOT by Iraqis, but rather by foreign insurgents, typically using imported munitions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
That is her breast.
So, did anyone find out why she only has one breast ?
Is she a veteran, did she lose it in battle ?

-t

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2008, 11:54 AM

Ahh... The breast war...

She was sniped by a Uzbekistanian sniper... so sad... was a booby-trap... too many periods in this post...

(got to move this thing out of polwar-dom)

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
For those of you who need to do the usual bickering, you do know where the proper forum is, correct? Cease and desist
But I like bickering.
OK, I'll stop

"Learn to swim"

Forum Links
Forum Rules