Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why is there so much hype around the Motorola Droid?

Why is there so much hype around the Motorola Droid? (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What would you have to be doing to download 5 gigs on a cell network? That's like 165 megs a day.
That's a couple hours Internet radio.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2009, 06:00 PM

Or five YouTube videos.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's a couple hours Internet radio.
More like 70 hours actually.

I have a 6 gig plan and I use it like a crazy mother for internet radio, surfing, emails, maps, photo sharing & videos. I ever used it to tether and download a 700 meg software update when at the cottage and my highest usage for one month was 1.3 gigs.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2009, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I mean, I use my phone all the time for all sorts of things... but I'm attached to wifi at least 75% of the time. So my data usage is quite low.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Motorola is THE premier manufacturer of commercial-grade communication equipment. They make the best, most reliable, most flexible 2-way radio equipment there is, bar none. Their sound reproduction quality (independent of the network's signal quality, of course) is typically the benchmark others strive to approach. Oh, and they also pioneered the cellular network concept in the very early 1980s. Moto is not going away, and they don't need to "die so the market can move on." They are a strong company that has the resources to try new things and if those new things fail, learn from the experience.

Nokia, on the other hand, is a one-trick-pony and while they did at one time have the majority of the cell phone market in their pocket, the have lost relevance-and direction. Note that Erikson, which was once a major player, had to join forces with Sony in order to stay around; I loved my Erikson phone, but Erikson was also pretty single-product oriented (at least here in the US), and that was a major problem for them.
First of all, everything you said about Nokia can be applied to Motorola. Just because you have a nostalgic affinity for their historical qualities doesn't mean they haven't lost it as a company today. And yes, I was there too. My first phone was a Motorola Brick™ (not the official name), and most my phones have been Nokias. I've been there and been behind the companies all the way until they lost it. In Nokia's case they peaked with the 3210 and the 8210, big down hill from there.

And Nokia a one trick pony? Surely you know all about Nokia's proud history of manufacturing everything from car tires (now sold as Nokian tires) to toilet paper (!) to everything related to telecommunications and just like Motorola two way radio equipment

The similarities are uncanny

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 10:21 AM

In the days of my youth we had these (just so you don't think I'm balderdashing you) :

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
First of all, everything you said about Nokia can be applied to Motorola. Just because you have a nostalgic affinity for their historical qualities doesn't mean they haven't lost it as a company today. And yes, I was there too. My first phone was a Motorola Brick™ (not the official name), and most my phones have been Nokias. I've been there and been behind the companies all the way until they lost it. In Nokia's case they peaked with the 3210 and the 8210, big down hill from there.

And Nokia a one trick pony? Surely you know all about Nokia's proud history of manufacturing everything from car tires (now sold as Nokian tires) to toilet paper (!) to everything related to telecommunications and just like Motorola two way radio equipment

The similarities are uncanny
I think the major difference here is that Motorola is still the premier provider of public safety communications equipment in the largest single market for such products, while Nokia doesn't seem to have a big chunk of any professional communications market. My "nostalgia" isn't about the clunkiest portable phones ever. I am merely pointing out that Motorola's cell phone business isn't anywhere near its primary business, and they have the resiliency to absorb costs related to problems with OSs, overly complex feature sets, and just plain ugly phones.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules