Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 22)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Do you have Gamecube or N64 component cables? They're all the same...
Just S-Vid.

Anywho, is the remote speaker as horrible as everyone is saying? Seems many are turning it to level 0 because it makes sounds so often and sounds so bad that it is more distracting than immersive.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 01:56 PM

I thought if you used them with the Wii you wouldn't have sound output, is that wrong?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So has anyone found the component cables? Every store I ask said they didn't even get any.

Probably better that I didn't get a wii yet as playing it on a big screen with Svideo would have made a horrible first impression.
Well, looking at Circuit City/Best Buy/GameStop's websites, all their Wii component cables keep on saying "Coming Soon" or something like that. So they probably haven't been released yet.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 02:03 PM

eh n/m old news..

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 02:04 PM

No they're not. The Wii cables use a different connector (with integrated sound). They are available on Nintendo's online store, but there was a huge rush of people ordering just after they were made available so they are now backordered until later this month. They are supposed to show up in retailers in early December. Silly that you can't get them at launch.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:11 PM

What do those of you that have PLAYED Zelda for a few hours think of this:
GameSpot:Video Games PC Xbox 360 PS3 Wii PSP DS PS2 PlayStation 2 GameCube GBA PlayStation 3

Gamespot had to reply to angry Zelda Fans (that didn't even play the game yet) because they couldn't accept criticism for it.

I can already see much of what he is saying is true, other than the Wiimote it is pretty much the same thing as OOT. That could be ok but it was the same thing for WW and MM and Nintendo is supposed to innovate right?

On the graphics front obviously if it looks the same on the GC they didn't put the extra horsepower on the Wii to any use.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:25 PM

Surprisingly I thought hardware errors would be on the PS3 first.

Wii being hit by fatal error "110213" -- could be funky firmware - Engadget

There have also been some cases of disk read errors. Obviously this is all normal until we find out what the defect percentage is.

lasvegasgamer
Nov 20, 2006, 02:38 PM

So, with the Wiimote being Bluetooth, is it possible that other Bluetooth devices in the room could interfere with it's accuracy/reception?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I'm just unsure.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 02:44 PM

Surprisingly I thought hardware errors would be on the PS3 first.

Wii being hit by fatal error "110213" -- could be funky firmware - Engadget

There have also been some cases of disk read errors. Obviously this is all normal until we find out what the defect percentage is.
No problems here.

(Also the PS3 DID have the first hardware errors. There is currently one affecting all units.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by lasvegasgamer View Post
So, with the Wiimote being Bluetooth, is it possible that other Bluetooth devices in the room could interfere with it's accuracy/reception?

Sorry if it's a silly question, I'm just unsure.
Sure. Any wireless technology can be disrupted by any sort of EM interference.

My Airport Express stops working when we microwave something, for example.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 02:47 PM

I can already see much of what he is saying is true, other than the Wiimote it is pretty much the same thing as OOT.
I'm sorry, but after playing for about 6 hours, anyone saying that it's about the same thing as OOT would have to be on crack. Or seriously mentally deranged. Or maybe they just played the title screen. Or maybe they accidently are playing the n64 version on their n64. It's got some of the same mechanics, but that's where it stops. Within the first hour or two it diverges so very very far from OOT. The similarities are "You start in your hometown with friendly people", and that's about it.

That could be ok but it was the same thing for WW and MM and Nintendo is supposed to innovate right?
See above.

Edit: Why is he complaining about the monkeys? They don't follow you around the entire dungeon, and god-forbid, they're part of a puzzle. The monkey's weren't even annoying. And if the game wasn't dark enough for him... jees... It's easily the darkest Zelda yet.
( Last edited by goMac; Nov 20, 2006 at 03:22 PM. )
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 03:19 PM

No problems here.

(Also the PS3 DID have the first hardware errors. There is currently one affecting all units.)
What hardware issue?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 03:22 PM

What hardware issue?
It's not handshaking with some HDTV's over HDMI. It's repeatable over multiple units.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 03:31 PM

It's not handshaking with some HDTV's over HDMI. It's repeatable over multiple units.
software issue not hardware failure.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 03:33 PM

software issue not hardware failure.
If the graphics card is failing to handshake, that's a hardware issue. Remember, HDMI handshaking is controlled in hardware. Onboard DRM and all.

Edit: And technically Nintendo's issue is a software issue. Just once it happens there is no way to fix the software issue. You can't get onto Nintendo WFC to download new software.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 03:40 PM

I'm sorry, but after playing for about 6 hours, anyone saying that it's about the same thing as OOT would have to be on crack.
It sounds like he's under the mistaken impression that Zelda is an RPG; he was comparing it to Final Fantasy after all. It's an action game, heavy on puzzles. I would be surprised if the puzzles were the same as in previous games. I've pre-ordered it for the GameCube, and that doesn't come out until 12/12, so I haven't played it yet.

Although I'm tempted to just get the Wii, since it's backwards compatible anyway.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 03:46 PM

If the graphics card is failing to handshake, that's a hardware issue. Remember, HDMI handshaking is controlled in hardware. Onboard DRM and all.

Edit: And technically Nintendo's issue is a software issue. Just once it happens there is no way to fix the software issue. You can't get onto Nintendo WFC to download new software.
Sony also said a fix would be out in a few days.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 03:49 PM

Software issue and a fix is on the way.

Drive failures on the Wii are not software issues either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 04:19 PM

Drive failures on the Wii are not software issues either.
PS3 hasn't been immune to drive failures either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
t's an action game, heavy on puzzles. I would be surprised if the puzzles were the same as in previous games.
I've only done the first dungeon, so I don't know about the entire game, but the first dungeon does recycle some things from WW. It's definitely not a WW dungeon but a few concepts are recycled.

The bosses are unique. I would suggest the Wii version. Although the 1st boss battle could be done with a gamepad, it lends much better to the Wiimote.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 04:23 PM

Just tell me there isn't another Ocarina/Wind Waker incarnation

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 04:34 PM

PS3 hasn't been immune to drive failures either.
Links?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 04:56 PM

Links?
I read yesterday that there were a few PS3's that had bad motors in the drives, they weren't allowing the disks to load. I'm looking for the link.

Honestly, this is a dumb discussion. They're both going to have hardware failures. Anything with moving parts will. But if you want to go through with it, fine.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:08 PM

ok I have read through a ton a reviews and it seems the Wii is mirroring the launch of the DS.

Long story short the current games aren't using the controller in innovative ways but that will hopefully come. Right now they are only replacing traditional controls in un-creative ways with the wiimote.
Wired News: What Will Wii Controller Unlock?

Go to Wii Video Game Reviews - Online Wii Game Reviews - New Wii Game Reviews and read the reviews for the launch titles.

FPS:
Aiming in COD3 and Red Steel aren't better than a traditional controller and usually worse, but it is "different". Earlier comments by some thought it would increase accuracy but it seems there is a lag for some actions and unintuitive motions.

Racing:
Both Excite truck and GT Pro Series use the Wiimote to turn GT even comes with a steering wheel to snap over the Wiimote. Reviews say that once you get over the "neatness" of a different controlling method you wish you had a traditional one as the lags makes steering hard.

OK so that means the Wiimote isn't making things better for Racing or FPS. The same thing happened with the DS with racing games as they tried to use the touchscreen as the wheel which was a total disaster. FPS might still work out ok though as these developers might have just screwed up.

What the Wii is good for is un-traditional uses like in raving rabbits, trauma centre etc.

In other words developers need to stop just replacing the traditional controls with the remote and rather develop a game around using it in ways that aren't normally done. With the DS it took a game drought after launch but 8 months later better uses for the touchscreen were used.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:10 PM

I read yesterday that there were a few PS3's that had bad motors in the drives, they weren't allowing the disks to load. I'm looking for the link.

Honestly, this is a dumb discussion. They're both going to have hardware failures. Anything with moving parts will. But if you want to go through with it, fine.
No I said before you I don't care as this is normal but when I said something about the Wii you said PS3 hardware failures with a software glitch. Then I said another Wii problem and you said PS3.

So it is really up to you if you can accept a problem report or if you have to counter it with some PS3 nonsense.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 05:12 PM

FPS:
Aiming in COD3 and Red Steel aren't better than a traditional controller and usually worse, but it is "different". Earlier comments by some thought it would increase accuracy but it seems there is a lag for some actions and unintuitive motions.
COD3 on Wii has been getting better reviews than the PS3 or XB360 version.

Racing:
Both Excite truck and GT Pro Series use the Wiimote to turn GT even comes with a steering wheel to snap over the Wiimote. Reviews say that once you get over the "neatness" of a different controlling method you wish you had a traditional one as the lags makes steering hard.
There's no lag. I don't have lag. Gamestop didn't have lag. No one is getting lag. Starman even figured out why he was getting lag. Stop with the lag.

OK so that means the Wiimote isn't making things better for Racing or FPS. The same thing happened with the DS with racing games as they tried to use the touchscreen as the wheel which was a total disaster. FPS might still work out ok though as these developers might have just screwed up.
: sigh :

What the Wii is good for is un-traditional uses like in raving rabbits, trauma centre etc.

In other words developers need to stop just replacing the traditional controls with the remote and rather develop a game around using it in ways that aren't normally done. With the DS it took a game drought after launch but 8 months later better uses for the touchscreen were used.
Have you played with a Wii yet?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:12 PM

No commentNo commentNo commentNo commentNo commentNo commentNo comment

Edit: No one got joke or cared, so I'll go with the more obvious: Save that for the gay thread.
( Last edited by Dakar²; Nov 20, 2006 at 05:50 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 05:15 PM

I agree with this (and said so earlier). It's stupid to add motion controls just for the sake of adding them, and I hope developers realize this. We're talking mostly about the cross-platform games here, I think. I wonder if the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo has enough buttons in easily accessible places to fully replicate using a 360 or PS3 controller, though. Is it possible that these games need to use some motion controls not because it adds to the game, but because they were designed with systems that have more buttons in mind (or at least better located buttons)? The back of the classic controller's packaging indicated that some Wii games might use the classic controller (at least as an option), so I'm wondering if that will be an option in the future for games like this. I haven't heard anything about current Wii making use of it though.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:15 PM

I have ZERO lag, I played for 4 hours yesterday and either they masked the lag in every Wii Sports game (possible I guess) or any lag is very very tiny.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I wonder if the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo has enough buttons in easily accessible places to fully replicate using a 360 or PS3 controller, though. Is it possible that these games need to use some motion controls not because it adds to the game, but because they were designed with systems that have more buttons in mind (or at least better located buttons)?
I wish we could just use a GCN controller for these type of games.... or a CGN style with bluetooth wireless and rumble :-D

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 05:18 PM

I think you are mistaken about this. Look at www.gamerankings.com and you'll see that the Wii version has the lowest average. Of course, comparing across platforms like this is dangerous, since the PS2 and Xbox 1 version actually have the highest scores, but that's mostly because they have the fewest number of reviews.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 05:33 PM

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:40 PM

WiiHacker: Wii Hacking: Day One Summary

This:

There are also reports of people using their Action Replay with SDLoad to play GC homebrew on the Wii, such as Snes9x. Snes9x was able to read roms off the SD drive as well.

is the most interesting to me

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 05:42 PM

No I said before you I don't care as this is normal but when I said something about the Wii you said PS3 hardware failures with a software glitch. Then I said another Wii problem and you said PS3.
The Wii problem you noted is also software. There just is no way to correct it.

So it is really up to you if you can accept a problem report or if you have to counter it with some PS3 nonsense.
Huh? I'm accepting them, but I'm saying it's not like the PS3 is somehow immune to problems either.

Gee... let's see...

Originally Posted by goMac
See? Already answered your question. I don't have any trouble admitting there will be some bad Wii's out there. You have problems admitting that there are also bad PS3's. I say something about some PS3's and you go flying off the handle.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:43 PM

In what alternate reality?

There's no lag. I don't have lag. Gamestop didn't have lag. No one is getting lag. Starman even figured out why he was getting lag. Stop with the lag.
Are the reviews lying or are these people part of a lag sensitive group of game reviewers? I watched a video review and I could see the lag also.

Excite Truck:
"The controls are easy to wrap your mind around, but they never feel very responsive."
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/...ml?sid=6161717

GT Pro:
"The wheel makes it easier to manipulate the remote, but the control isn't very responsive."
"There's also a bit of lag in the controls"

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/...ml?sid=6162042

No, as I mentioned several times I have not I am just linking to the professionals who have spent 30+ hours on the system which I am sure is even more than you.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:45 PM

The Wii problem you noted is also software. There just is no way to correct it.
That sounds sad enough on its own that I don't even have to make some snarky reply.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 05:47 PM

That sounds sad enough on its own that I don't even have to make some snarky reply.
Let me paraphrase it for you. Let's say you have a computer. Somehow your Ethernet drivers get screwed up. You can get newer Ethernet drivers online. How are you going to fix this?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 05:48 PM

Why don't they send them an update disk or something? Cause I would use a thumb drive and another system. They should at least let you download and update and burn it to CD or something like some DVD Players do...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 05:51 PM

In what alternate reality?
Again, when I go through my history tonight I'll post the links. I'm kinda busy with class and work and all, but Madden for the Wii is also getting higher reviews than the other versions:

Madden NFL 07 for Wii Review - Wii Madden NFL 07 Review

Are the reviews lying or are these people part of a lag sensitive group of game reviewers? I watched a video review and I could see the lag also.

Excite Truck:
"The controls are easy to wrap your mind around, but they never feel very responsive."
Excite Truck for Wii Review - Wii Excite Truck Review

GT Pro:
"The wheel makes it easier to manipulate the remote, but the control isn't very responsive."
"There's also a bit of lag in the controls"

GT Pro Series for Wii Review - Wii GT Pro Series Review
Let's see here. I played Excite Truck. There is no lag. I own several games that use this control scheme. There is no lag.

No, as I mentioned several times I have not I am just linking to the professionals who have spent 30+ hours on the system which I am sure is even more than you.
Then I suggest you either ditch your attitude or leave the thread and come back when you've actually played with one. You have no more excuses left for why you haven't at least played with the console you love to bash.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 05:52 PM

Let's see here. I played it. There is no lag. I own several games that use this control scheme. There is no lag.

OK that is all I need. Everyone ignore the reviews that say otherwise.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 05:53 PM

OK that is all I need. Everyone ignore the reviews that say otherwise.
I'll listen to your complaints after you've actually played Excite Truck.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:03 PM

If I did and I said it lagged would you believe me?

Even then why do you not believe the reviewers? Do you think they didn't actually play it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 06:04 PM

Excite Truck feels laggy to me, but I don't think it's actual lag as much as the car taking a long time to turn. The turning in that game seems to follow an exponential curve — when you first turn, it's not really noticeable, but you'll start spinning uncontrollably after a couple of seconds.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Edit: No one got joke or cared, so I'll go with the more obvious: Save that for the gay thread.
Yeah, I thought more people would catch it. Aw well. It wasn't that funny anyway.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Excite Truck feels laggy to me, but I don't think it's actual lag as much as the car taking a long time to turn. The turning in that game seems to follow an exponential curve — when you first turn, it's not really noticeable, but you'll start spinning uncontrollably after a couple of seconds.
Really? I had the opposite experience. It wasn't as much laggy as you need to turn more than you think. As much as you would in a real car. But I got used to it.

Edit: I don't own Excite Truck but none of my other games have any lag.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:13 PM

YAw well. It wasn't that funny anyway.
I know, I know. I just can't pass up a Wii joke.

Edit: Get it? 'Wii' joke. As in small.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 06:18 PM

If I did and I said it lagged would you believe me?
Sure. I'd believe that you actually perceived it as being laggy, which is good enough as it being laggy for you. But that doesn't changed that you haven't tried playing a Wii. In other words, someone who has never touched a Wii (that's not your cue Dakar ) is trying to tell people who have actually used Wii's how much it sucks. And you wonder why we don't take you seriously.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:26 PM

So far the buzz from users is positive.

I was worried that I'd see a million "what the hell, this thing doesn't work right!" posts on day one, but I haven't seen any.

A girl at my office bought one and she says it's lots of fun and that the controller works perfectly.

I guess I'll pick one up some day in the near future (while keeping a watchful eye on feedback)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:31 PM

Since you linked to gamespot for a positive review i'll do the same:

Call of Duty 3:

PS3 - 8.2

Xbox 360: 8.8

Wii: 7.2

IGN:

360: 8.8

Wii: 7.7

I'm sure you'll cook up some user review average that show otherwise though.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:35 PM

Are there any screenshots that compare the 3 systems' graphics with the same game?

Forum Links
Forum Rules