Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > global warming : MOVED from no WMDs thread

global warming : MOVED from no WMDs thread (Page 3)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The irony is that you're also part of the cult. You're make some excellent arguments for human-caused global warming.
Narh, I'm just hoping that everyone left of Reagan will realise how their mere existence is contributing to global warming and subsequently off themselves (for the good of the planet, you understand). I can live in hope.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
Human caused? Partially.
But SUVs are not the sole perpitrator. As the environazis would have us believe.
Exactly.

But, as is usual with those on the left, it's always someone else or "the rich" who's to blame. Like how their idea of "wealth redistribution" is always them giving away someone else's money, never their own.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:25 AM

People should attach tubes to cow's bumholes (and their own human counterparts) and capture the expelled gases into large bladders as a means to harness the untapped power of this most natural albeit untapped resource.

We'd stop global warming, foreign oil addiction, shut the liberals/rightwingers up, and can finally move on with our miserable bum-plugged lives.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 12:25 PM

Human caused? Partially.
But SUVs are not the sole perpitrator. As the environazis would have us believe.
What?!? That's ridiculous! No one in their right mind thinks SUVs are the sole perpetrator of GHG emissions. It's been going on since far before SUVs were invented, for god's sake!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yet people like the UK government (climate change cultists) charge you extra for driving a Range Rover (over a "normal" vehicle) while actually paying you (family tax credit) to produce mobile CO2 manufacturing units (kids).

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever - just like a cult.
Originally Posted by SkyCaptain
You and SkyCaptain are the cultists here. You are taking an insane position: Increase fuel economy with hybrid vehicles? No! Let's wipe out half the world's population. SkyCaptain is arguing against a fictional environazi whom he seems to have found in a novel somewhere.

Are you just trying to build up your credentials so Bush will invite you to the White House?
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Dec 13, 2006, 03:34 PM

Search SUV here.
There's plenty.
A cultist I'm not.

And where is the fnck did you read wipe out half the world's population?
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 03:44 PM

Go back and read Doofy's posts on page 2. Then tell me who's the Nazi.

Originally Posted by Doofy
I mean... ...perhaps half the population of the planet needs to die out (from famine, etc.) in order to solve the problem - and that by taking measures to ensure that this doesn't happen is perhaps storing up all sorts of problems for the future. Harsh, but perhaps true.
You and Doofy both act like cultists. Find me the environazi posting in this thread.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 03:50 PM

Search the forum.
This goes beyond this one thread.

Lets see. Population is increasing.
Population is creatinf more and more CO2 by breathing.
Yet CO2 emissions have to be cut. So the population can continue increasing.
It's a catch 22.

The chart a while back shows the CO2 rise with the industrial age.
This is also rise of the population explosion.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 04:02 PM

I'm supposed to search the forum to find out who you are arguing against?? Oo-kay.

Lets see. Population is increasing.
Population is creatinf more and more CO2 by breathing.
Yet CO2 emissions have to be cut. So the population can continue increasing.
It's a catch 22.
This is nonsense. Pseudo-science and calls for population control are both signs of Naziism.

How about this? You give me a reasonable, implementable proposal for limiting population growth to give a 10% drop in CO2 emissions over the next ten years. Somehow, you're going to have to figure out how to eliminate more than 600 million people. Good luck.

(Of course, if you actually look at the statistics, eliminating only 120 million Americans would have the necessary effect. This, no doubt, is because Americans have bigger lungs.)

Me, I give you Kyoto. I give you hybrid cars. Nuclear energy. Solar and wind power. A market for carbon credits. Etc. etc. The technology and means are all here and have been here. There is a framework of international diplomacy. The costs are comparable to the Iraq war, and the benefits real and long term.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 04:33 PM

Hell Canada has a problem reaching KYOTO goals
Where you gonna bury all the spent fuel rods?
Wind power can only suppliment.
Carbon credits = strangling industrial countries and punishing the rich.
Hybred cars are a band-aid. They are not that carbon friendly.(manufacturing)

And common sense says the population will have to come under some kind of control eventually.
Housing = habitat loss.
Farming = habitat loss.

Also:
China insists that the gas emissions level of any given country is a multiplication of its per capita emission and its population. Because China has emplaced population control measures while maintaining low emissions per capita, it claims it should therefore in both the above aspects be considered a contributor to the world environment. China considers the criticism of its energy policy unjust.[28] China is currently the second largest emitter of greenhouse gases, and is expected to become the largest by 2030
( Last edited by Sky Captain; Dec 13, 2006 at 04:39 PM. )

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 04:48 PM

Hell Canada has a problem reaching KYOTO goals
And how then do you expect Canada to be able to cut its population by 10% over the next decade?

If the solutions were trivial, then there wouldn't be a problem. But the solutions aren't all that hard, and my proposed solution is still much, much easier than yours (which I'm still waiting for).

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

I'm waiting on the government to become my nanny and fix it all.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
This is nonsense. Pseudo-science and calls for population control are both signs of Naziism.
Stop talking crap. Nobody has proposed population control, but simply stopping population enhancement. Perhaps global warming is nature's method of population control and you hippies are actually actively working against it (and thus making the problem much, much worse than it should be).

How about this? You give me a reasonable, implementable proposal for limiting population growth to give a 10% drop in CO2 emissions over the next ten years. Somehow, you're going to have to figure out how to eliminate more than 600 million people.
Real easy. Stop all foreign aid and the problem will sort itself out in no time.

(Of course, if you actually look at the statistics, eliminating only 120 million Americans would have the necessary effect. This, no doubt, is because Americans have bigger lungs.)
Oooo oooo oooo. Is my dream of all the Dems offing themselves becoming a reality then? Can someone video it for me please?

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 07:04 PM

Me, I give you Kyoto. I give you hybrid cars. Nuclear energy. Solar and wind power. A market for carbon credits. Etc. etc. The technology and means are all here and have been here. There is a framework of international diplomacy. The costs are comparable to the Iraq war, and the benefits real and long term.

Don't worry, they'll just call you a liberal hippy, out to steal all their gas money as part of a communist wealth-redistribution scheme for daring to bring up science and market economics.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post

Don't worry, they'll just call you a liberal hippy, out to steal all their gas money as part of a communist wealth-redistribution scheme for daring to bring up science and market economics.
It's funny that carbon trading credits have been mentioned. Just this week the UK government has proposed such a scheme for individuals. And they're including food.

Now, if you think about how that will work for a moment, you'll figure that some kind of massive tracking system is going to be required so that every time you buy something, your credits are suitably adjusted. No more credits left? Tough crap, no more food. Temporary glitch in the system? Tough crap, no food. Script kiddie hacked the central database? Tough crap, no food.

And do you get extra credits for reducing your carbon footprint by, say, planting trees? Nope.

That's the reality, but just for fun let's project: Government (with a party boosted by BillyFunds) says that your typing on a Mac in MacNN uses more carbon than typing on a PC in a Windoze forum? Tough crap, suck it up.

Is this the kind of world you want to live in? Because if you ain't careful, it's going to happen.

Right, now go read Revelation.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 07:28 PM

Stop talking crap. Nobody has proposed population control, but simply stopping population enhancement. Perhaps global warming is nature's method of population control and you hippies are actually actively working against it (and thus making the problem much, much worse than it should be).

Real easy. Stop all foreign aid and the problem will sort itself out in no time.
You are crazy and immoral. The US will suffer as well as Africa from global warming. Your plan is to stand by and do nothing?

SkyCaptain, please let us know how you are going to get the US and Canada to cut their populations by 10% over the next ten years. I don't expect all the details, but at least the broad sketches.

Then we can take your approach for cutting CO2 emissions and compare it to mine, and weigh the costs and benefits of each approach.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 07:40 PM

I never said CUT the population.
I said CONTROL the population expansion.
I have a spare Speak and Spellâ„¢ I can loan you.(now stop being silly and I will)

And what's YOUR solution to the population?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 07:43 PM

You are crazy and immoral.
No, you're the crazy cultist. I'm the rational pragmatist.

The US will suffer as well as Africa from global warming.
So?

Your plan is to stand by and do nothing?
Yep.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 07:45 PM

The USA could simply stop producing so many crops and livestock. Hell, we only eat 35% of what we produce. Our CO2 emissions would decline rapidly - and millions of people worldwide would stop living. It's a win-win situation for "Global Warming" supporters.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
The USA could simply stop producing so many crops and livestock. Hell, we only eat 35% of what we produce. Our CO2 emissions would decline rapidly - and millions of people worldwide would stop living. It's a win-win situation for "Global Warming" supporters.
That's crazy and immoral Spliffy! Don't you know that the only way to stop this global warming is to stop rich people from driving around in their SUVs?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 07:49 PM

This chart is illustrative.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 07:51 PM

Define energy. This is very broad.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 08:02 PM

Define energy. This is very broad.
"British Thermal Units"
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2006, 08:06 PM

We use our BTUs way more efficiently than other countries.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
"British Thermal Units"
rods to the hog's head ratio.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
We use our BTUs way more efficiently than other countries.
The stats are probably even more scewed considering that China uses most of their energy to produce cheap crap to export to the US. (ie. China brings online the equivalent of one coal fire plant every WEEK).

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 08:12 PM

Not just to the US, Europe too.(and parts of Africa)
You are using a computer, right?

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 11:14 PM

It's funny that carbon trading credits have been mentioned. Just this week the UK government has proposed such a scheme for individuals. And they're including food.

Now, if you think about how that will work for a moment, you'll figure that some kind of massive tracking system is going to be required so that every time you buy something, your credits are suitably adjusted. No more credits left? Tough crap, no more food. Temporary glitch in the system? Tough crap, no food. Script kiddie hacked the central database? Tough crap, no food.

And do you get extra credits for reducing your carbon footprint by, say, planting trees? Nope.

That's the reality, but just for fun let's project: Government (with a party boosted by BillyFunds) says that your typing on a Mac in MacNN uses more carbon than typing on a PC in a Windoze forum? Tough crap, suck it up.

Is this the kind of world you want to live in? Because if you ain't careful, it's going to happen.
1) Any politician that tries to enforce a plan that starves people will be out on their ears.

2) The government already tells me I can't do/own things for the public good (no cocaine, ID for suphedarine, license for driving, passports, etc.).

3) Programs that overreach are typically corrected. See the recent trend of requiring paper trails in electronic voting machines and the TSA's reintroduction of liquids in carry-ons.

Geeze, how many times are people going to use the mark of the beast? It was currency, then it was social security, then it was drivers' licenses, then it was credit cards, then it was RFID tags -- now it's going to be carbon trading that finally brings "prophecy to life".

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 01:06 AM

I never said CUT the population.
I said CONTROL the population expansion.
I have a spare Speak and Spellâ„¢ I can loan you.(now stop being silly and I will)

And what's YOUR solution to the population?
If you want to cut CO2 emissions and not just control them, then you will need to cut the population. Tell me your plan.

I don't need a solution to the population, because it is not as urgent a threat as global warming. Obviously the Earth can't sustain an unbounded human population. As the population grows, problems will become more serious and global in nature, requiring globally coordinated responses. However, this isn't an urgent problem at the moment; global warming is. Also, populations have tended to stabilize and even decline as incomes rise and education increases, particularly for women. So I think population growth will naturally stabilize without any necessary intervention. Say the population stabilizes at 8 billion. I think 8 billion people is an indefinitely sustainable population level.

So: I say start implementing CO2 reductions immediately. Invest in education in the third-world to stabilize population levels over the next ten to twenty years.

Originally Posted by Doofy
"The US will suffer as well as Africa from global warming."
So?
So I care. What are you doing in this thread or this forum if you don't care about the US, or your country? I don't get you.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 01:14 AM

I don't know who you are arguing with. I didn't propose that plan.

However, the longer we wait to do anything, the more extreme measures will be necessary. If you want to avoid extreme measures in the future, you should support modest measures today.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 06:43 AM

I don't need a solution to the population, because it is not as urgent a threat as global warming. Obviously the Earth can't sustain an unbounded human population. As the population grows, problems will become more serious and global in nature, requiring globally coordinated responses. However, this isn't an urgent problem at the moment; global warming is. Also, populations have tended to stabilize and even decline as incomes rise and education increases, particularly for women. So I think population growth will naturally stabilize without any necessary intervention. Say the population stabilizes at 8 billion. I think 8 billion people is an indefinitely sustainable population level.
You guys aren't getting it. What if the current population levels are what's causing global warming?

So I care. What are you doing in this thread or this forum if you don't care about the US, or your country? I don't get you.
I'm a libertarian - I care about freedom, not countries.

I don't know who you are arguing with.
I'm not arguing. I'm telling you how it is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules