Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The official I GOT ONE thread

The official I GOT ONE thread (Page 3)
Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eyenovation View Post
1. Bluetooth is ONLY good for connecting a headset. That's it.
I tried to connect to another phone and could not. I dont have a headset so cant test that.

2. There is no file browser on the device at all. Data must be organized (if at all) in the appropriate application.
Yes that seems sort of evident. It has no disk mode so I dont know how you could put data on it anywhere else anyway.

5. Web browser is slow, even over WiFI. Even the simple OneList web app that was created takes around 20 seconds to load over WLAN. You can not highlight, cut, copy, or paste and text from a website, and you can not save any images you find from a website either.
I dont find the web browser slow at all. No copy paste is accurate.

6. The keyboard sucks. It's difficult to type on.
I find it very easy to type on.

9. The default ringtones are incredibly lame.
I like them.

11. "Picture pinching" or using two fingers to zoom on any content is certainly fun to play with, but not practical whatsoever. This operation depends solely on using the device with two hands.
I dont know how you could do it with one hand and still hold the device lol. Seems rather obvious and worked fine for me.

12. No document editor or native viewer. You can not store documents on the device to be viewed, they can only be viewed as attachments when they're sent to your in an email.
Again, its not a harddrive.

16. No speed dialing (which can be made up by the "quick list", but getting to that quick list isn't as fast as holding a single key on a real keypad).
I find dialing easier than a standard telephone.

19. It's still <4GB for $500 and <8GB for $600
Yes I agree. I wish it had been more storage out the gate.

20. It only takes around 2 hours to explore every menu without any options for expandability except to scrounge around for new web apps that will load slowly and nowhere near as smoothly as the native apps.
Apple add features with updates. Right now it's a closed OS . Give it time.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 06:28 PM

Yep, I just got back from trying it out at a Cingular store, and trying to send a ringtone from another phone to the iPhone via Bluetooth results in "Service Not Available." So the iPhone really does have broken Bluetooth! Oh, it just gets better and better.

You can really tell that this phone was originally intended for Verizon, can't you? Broken Bluetooth, unlock-proof, being tied to an individual account via iTunes. Ugh. Way to go for the iPhone - now you can have the coverage of AT&T with the flexibility of Verizon!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jun 30, 2007 at 06:38 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 06:36 PM

I think most of the issues thus far that have been addressed could be taken care of by a firmware update. Here's hoping Apple listens to the feedback. For example, having the keypad appear in horizontal fashion, (landscape) to allow for bigger keys.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 06:52 PM

I am pleasantly surprised at how well my 8Gb iPhone performs, it has exceeded my expectations. All the bells and whistles work as advertised. Normally when I leave the house I'm carrying three devices; iPod, PDA, and Cellphone. Today I left carrying just one! And it was better than all three combined! Yeehaa!

The internet browser is just incredible when compared to my old Treo and my Sanyo phone. I can actually visit websites and easily view them, even here at Macnn! I'm gonna try and order something through the apple store on my iPhone, I'm sure it will work. The Edge network seems to be adequate, which I think is its main fault it, probably will never be better than adequate, but hey I can work with that! The clever WiFi switching is a great boost in online performance!

Typing is gonna take a bit of getting used too, but only a bit, I'll have it mastered by the end of the week, I'm already getting faster...

Monday morning there's gonna be two kinds of people in the world....
( Last edited by JohnM15141; Jun 30, 2007 at 07:00 PM. )
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The problem with T-Mobile in Germany is that they are the former state-monopoly telcom.

I switched away from their landline division (T-Com) five years ago, and their Department of Bureaucratic Nightmare, which every single incident of customer interaction must run through (including phone support hotlines), insisted on sending me monthly bills for another six months.

Also once hung up after a record TWENTY-THREE minutes on their PAY-per-minute phone hotline, trying to get them to replace a defective WLAN router at a client's office. Astounding.

All telcoms are of the devil in a fundamental way - it's apparently industry-inherent - but T-Com and its derivatives, at least in Germany, have reserved for them a very special place in hell.
OH. F U C K.

D.Telekom's mobile unit clinches iPhone deal: paper

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
Monday morning there's gonna be two kinds of people in the world....
Those who have already shelled out $600+ for an iPhone, and those who are busy killing family members for the insurance money?
( Last edited by vertigociel; Jul 4, 2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: "$600 dollars" is redundant)

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 05:44 PM

Went to the Apple Store to "check it out" and ended up impulsively buying an 8 gigger on the spot. This thing is unbelievable.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
I am pleasantly surprised at how well my 8Gb iPhone performs, it has exceeded my expectations. All the bells and whistles work as advertised. Normally when I leave the house I'm carrying three devices; iPod, PDA, and Cellphone. Today I left carrying just one! And it was better than all three combined! Yeehaa!
Exactly. I often have an iPod in the car for music (and to listen to while waiting for my kids at their various activities), and used to have a Razor and a PDA. Moved to a Motorola Q prior to the iPhone - helped with the phone/PDA, but still had to schlep an iPod when I wanted music or something to watch. And Windows Mobile kinda sucks anyway.

While the iPhone isn't Jesus-in-a-phone, it is, I feel, the best multifunction device currently available.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 09:09 AM

I agree. Yesterday I was walking to work, listening to music and I remembered back to when I showed my Dad the 3G iPod. he said it was really cool but wondered if they would ever integrate a cellphone into it.
I've never been a big fan of convergence devices because they've never worked nicely. I'd rather have a cellphone that did things well (BlackBerry) and an iPod.
The iPhone does everything those two do, but so much better.

turnedge762
Jul 7, 2007, 11:54 AM

I finally got one, and it's true, see this thing in person is just a different experience than online. (Though Apple seems to be particularly good at making their products look amazing online)

Forum Links
Forum Rules